Unlimited access >

Are pre existing health conditions ever the breeder's responsibility?

I bought an adult dog, she came down with parasites immediately. The seller disclosed a prior surgery, but never the parasites. In all, my dog had 3 different parasite infections concurrently. The seller didn’t tell me about all of her dog’s had these infections.and it wasn’t until 3 mos after I’d received all these diagnoses, spent nearly $2k treating my dog for the parasites. By then,damage had already been done, my dog required an additional $2k surgery.

I took the first

Did the breeder provide you with a contract? Is this a breeder in good standing with the AKC?

How do you tell if a breeder is in good standing with the AKC?

I would expect some proof (documents) of health to be provided when purchasing a dog.

You can also find out if a breeder is in good standing with the AKC by contacting AKC Customer Service at 919-233-9767 or info@akc.org.

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/lifestyle/9-tips-finding-working-responsible-breeder/

Aside from falsifying pedigrees or being arrested for animal cruelty, I can’t even think of what it would take for the AKC to consider a breeder “not in good standing.” It’s far easier for the breeder to just continue selling crap puppies without falsifying records.

But, there were two threads about this topic - the other one had more detail about the issues (parasites) in an adult dog.

4 Likes

https://www.akc.org/breeder-programs…-requirements/

The problem lies in your approach to buying said dog.

2 Likes

Interesting list - note: English Bulldog - no testing recommened !

Actually, ‘guarantees’ only protect the buyer if the seller is honest, ethical and legitimate.

1 Like

I wouldn’t make assumptions about that; it could be that the breed club doesn’t participate in the AKC bred-with-heart-program, or a website glich because it is new and there are many.

OFA recommends the following for Bulldogs - and the first 3 are required for a CHIC certificate (chosen by the parent club.)
[LIST=|INDENT=1]

• [B]Patellar Luxation[/B] OFA evaluation, minimum age 1 year
  • [B]Cardiac Evaluation[/B] (One of the following) Congenital Cardiac Exam, exam by Boarded Cardiologist, using echo preferred, but not required. Advanced Cardiac Exam
  • [B]Tracheal Hypoplasia[/B] OFA radiographic evaluation for Tracheal Hypoplasia.
  • [B]Eye Examination by a boarded ACVO Ophthalmologist- after the age of 24 months[/B] (Optional) Results registered with OFA Registered with CERF
  • [B]Hip Dysplasia[/B] (Optional) OFA Evaluation
  • [B]Elbow Dysplasia[/B] (Optional) OFA Evaluation
  • [B]Autoimmune thyroiditis[/B] (Optional) OFA evaluation from an approved laboratory
  • [B]Congenital Deafness[/B] (Optional) OFA evaluation based on BAER test
  • [B]HYPERURICOSURIA[/B] (Optional) HYPERURICOSURIA - DNA based test from an approved laboratory [/LIST]
  • I wouldn’t make assumptions about that; it could be that the breed club doesn’t participate in the AKC bred-with-heart-program, or a website glich because it is new and there are many.

OFA recommends the following for Bulldogs - and the first 3 are required for a CHIC certificate (chosen by the parent club.)
    [LIST=|INDENT=1]

• [B]Patellar Luxation[/B] OFA evaluation, minimum age 1 year
  • [B]Cardiac Evaluation[/B] (One of the following) Congenital Cardiac Exam, exam by Boarded Cardiologist, using echo preferred, but not required. Advanced Cardiac Exam
  • [B]Tracheal Hypoplasia[/B] OFA radiographic evaluation for Tracheal Hypoplasia.
  • [B]Eye Examination by a boarded ACVO Ophthalmologist- after the age of 24 months[/B]
  • [B]Hip Dysplasia[/B] (Optional)
  • [B]Elbow Dysplasia[/B] (Optional)
  • [B]Autoimmune thyroiditis[/B] (Optional)
  • [B]Congenital Deafness[/B] (Optional)
  • [B]HYPERURICOSURIA[/B] (Optional) [/LIST]
  • Ehh…the AKC site has recently undergone a revamp so that could be a glich. Or it could be that the Bulldog Club of America does not participate in the Bred by HEART program at AKC.

I wouldn’t read that to assume that AKC or Bulldog breeders do not believe testing is recommended. OFA has a long list for bulldogs, and to get a CHIC (selected by the parent club) there are 3 required tests.

FWIW, when I got my second BT, I didn’t even know about the HEART program at AKC but did thorough research on the breed on the BTCOA website and also did my own CHIC research of mom and dad :slight_smile:

I guess I am a bit distrustful of AKC having only ever seen them primarily as a breed registry. They say they are more but my personal feelings (and that is all they are) is that I trust the breed registry more than I do AKC. I just checked AKC and could not figure out who to find out if a specific breeder was BOM or HEART. Maybe it was there but not easy to find if it is…

https://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/border-terrier

Click appropriate box!
    Not too plentiful this side of the pond.

I’m not a fan, the AKC do too much money grabbing for my taste.
    They will “register” any dog if it means they get entry fees and “titles”.

1 Like

What I read into the AKC comment about Bull dogs l was that they had too many problems to justify testing…or some such.

I saw the perfect Bulldog at the vets recently - real form to function conformation, and when I asked the owner he said the dog was Bulldog x Beagle…the dog looked healthy, could breathe and moved with a good gait.

Well, take from it what you want, but you might be wrong.

AKC is a breed registry, and they should register “any dog” if it has registered parents. That’s what they do.

But, most good breeders use their parent clubs and OFA as the go-to for health testing recommendations; AKC doesn’t determine any of the health testing requirements for any breed; that’s not their responsibility.

1 Like

Yeah - I might well be wrong. Does not matter. But the OP does not say that her dog is registered with AKC. Only some purebred dogs are registered, and it seems to me more dogs are mixed breed these days.

Sorry but I don’t consider parasites a preexisting condition. Was the dog in physically good shape when you received it? Good coat condition and weight? If the dog looked good when you received it I would say that the lifestyle change caused the dogs immune system to take a dive allowing the parasites to get bad. Most animals have parasites on some level it is just a question of if the level is high enough to cause an issue. I am sending my goats to be bred in a month they will be dewormed shortly before leaving to reduce their parasite load to mitigate the risk of a parasite party due to stress of being relocated. They will again be dewormed when they return to me in 6ish weeks for the same reason.

I saw the Marketplace stuff but what I was looking for was the ability to locate a specific breeder and see if they participate in BOM or HEART. :slight_smile:

Yes, BTs can be a bit few and far in between. I’ve seen a few of them in the scent/nose work sports here in the Phoenix area. Not common was one of the checkbox items when I was looking for a small “replacement” for Bouviers.

It I was still abled, I’d still have Bouvs but not practical or safe when one needs a walker and is unsteady on one’s feet. BTs are what I came up with :slight_smile:

I’m with you on AKC. I know they might mean well (maybe) but to me they are a breed registry and all that comes with it. They might be useful for someone looking for a purebred and don’t know what they want and don’t have any dog “connections”. I did use AKC to review the BT breed standard. I did far more research on the national breed club web site than I did on AKC’s web site. And, some of the the BT photos on the national breed club page are in the ‘to die for’ cute category.

I trolled the smaller breeds at AKC and had it narrowed down to the BT and the Cairn. Asked my Bouv groomer what she thought and she pointed me to a friend of hers who had both :slight_smile: Word of mouth is, for me, more trusted and effective :smiley:

OK it’s all there.

Select puppy button.
    Select Border Terrier breed.
    It will show you 11 breeders.
    The first 4 have Breeder of Merit rosettes displayed.
    Had you clicked the box marked BREEDERS OF MERIT
    Only those 4 would be displayed.
    Same for HEART - but there aren’t any.

Does a breeder need to pay or otherwise do something ‘proactively’ to get listed as a BOM and/or HEART?

I found the list of breeders, for me, confusing… in most cases it doesn’t list the kennel name, just the contact name (often Border Terrier Puppies or some such) rather than the kennel. Kennel to me is key as so many dogs have their kennel name as part of their registered name.

One breeder listed show in the Breeder field Horizon Dobermans (not saying a kennel can’t breed more than one breed, many do but if I’m looking for a Border, more inclined to look for one that indicates that :slight_smile: ).

I know there are more Border breeder than 11 :slight_smile:

I looked at my breeder’s web page and she says she is a BOM (and I trust that she is). She is a self-proclaimed hobby breeder and does breed good stock that competes well both in conformation as well as performance. No, she doesn’t show up in the Marketplace. I heard about the litter I got my boy from via word of mouth.

Sorry - I can’t read it for you!
    https://www.akc.org/breeder-programs/