Unlimited access >

Are the Olympics no longer necessary?

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JustMe123:

I think the nebulous “they” that awarded Sale & Pelletier (sp?) the gold really opened a Pandora’s Box. As a hunter rider, you learn pretty fast that sometimes the judges are cheese and sometimes they’re not. Sometimes you win when you don’t deserve it, and sometimes someone else takes home the ribbon you think you earned. THUS IS THE NATURE OF SUBJECTIVE SPORTS! Now everyone who feels like they didn’t get the fair shake - ie, the Russians THIS time - will come back to Sale & Pelletier and expect something. I think that’s unfair.

Geeze, couldn’t they have just thrown out the contested judges’ scores and reconfigured the whole thing? It just seems there HAS to be a better way.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If they had done what you suggested, thrown out the contested judge, they are left with a tie. If they then put the alternate judge’s score in, the Canadians won, and so the Russians should be left with silver

I think their solution was equitable, and now they just have to hold the line and say “no” to all the foofy protests that are generated in the wake.

I love watching the olympics. I wish they’d show these obscure sports more often. I think it’s a key part of global culture, personally. I am most fascinated by people who compete in sports that are obscure in their own countries, or are otherwise not supported by their federation. (And so I thought it was pretty cool that a Saudi won the show jumping bronze in Sydney!)

OH NO!!

The Olympics are a time for the world to watch. And watch sports they normally wouldn’t watch. I would never watch “figure skating worlds”, but I loved watching the Olympic figure skating, as well as that Bode Miller and Apolo…it’s be great fun. And it is the one time that equestrian sports get some coverage!!

BGoosewood in Goosewood and therefore TweedleDEE http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

I think Salt Lake has become the cry baby Olympics. Russia is actually trying to get Irina S awarded another Gold Medal(like Sale and Pelltier) in the Ladies Figure Skating. The whole boycott thing is a riot to me, there are what 2 days left?

Is she herself complaining or is it the “russians” in general??

jr… it’s SOUTH Korea. North Korea didn’t send any athletes this time.

If Dressage is a Symphony… Eventing is Rock & Roll!

Counting down to the next Survivor!! – 7 days

If you “level the playing field” then you lose the competition…although I agree that allowing pros to compete cheapens things a bit. [then again, the only difference between a pro and an ammy is that a pro gets a real paycheck and an ammy gets paid in equipment, meals, rent, and airplane tickets…]

I don’t know exactly where I was going with that, but something to think about. I personally love the Olympics–my figure skating goals were never quite that lofty, though
Something about winning an event that the entire world watches as well as one that can only be won every 4 years, the Olympics are just special. Yes there are controversies, and scandals, and every other problem conceivable, but isn’t the idea of a worldwide competition encompassing so many different events at one venue kind of exciting? World Championships are good for standings, but the Olympics are just so unique. Honestly, what sounds more just plain cooler, “Chevrolet/ Johnson&Johnson/ Jenny Craig World Champion” or “Olympic Champion” ?

Yes the Olympics are full of product endorsements, but at least the entire event is a commercial for itself, and not to the highest advertising bid. I think the only time the Olympics would become unnecessary is the day they’re referred to as the “Nabisco & Sweet’n’Low/Verizon Worldwide Olympic Games.”

~KBird~
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it’s time to pause and reflect.” - Mark Twain

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Frankly I think it has lost its original purpose because it all seems to be about only money now. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try telling that to the freestyle skiier who underwent a liver transplant 8 months ago, and went on to win a bronze medal. Or the bobsled driver competing in his 5th Olympics, who finally won a medal, and with tears in his eyes stating that his bronze was as good as gold to him. Or to figure skater Sarah Hughes, bobsledder Vonetta Flowers, speedskater Derek Parra, or ski jumper Simon Ammann. And I could go on and on…

I enjoyed watching a good deal of coverage of these Winter Games, and saw a great number of inspirational athletes and equally amazing athletic performances. Which at least to me makes the continuing existence of the Olympics, more than worthwhile.

“Of course, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.” - Dennis Miller

It just seems they are tarnished now. They just don’t seem to ever be a fair playing field, and there’s much too much emphasis on the entire event. It’s such a circus. The professionals entering happened when countries started doing “state sponsorship” of the athletes.

I really think that we need to go to World Championships only, and to address the coverage, why not get the sports channels to do something like “The ABC Wild World of Sports” again? That was what really introduced me to many different events.

It’s all about ME, ME, ME!!! (The only signature worthy of a real DQ.)

leaper… they’re talking about boycotting Athens (the Russians). The Koreans are talking about boycotting the Closing Ceremonies. If boycotts are the symbol of crybabies, what does that make us since we boycotted the Moscow games??

If Dressage is a Symphony… Eventing is Rock & Roll!

Counting down to the next Survivor!! – 7 days

I haven’t heard her complain, I think it’s “the Russians” whoever that is. She seemed like a good sport about it. I mean obviously she was terribly disappointed, but on TV this morning, she was sweet about it.

BGoosewood in Goosewood and therefore TweedleDEE http://hometown.aol.com/bgoosewood/index.html

I believe there a lot of people who feel that one of the “silly” sports they should get rid of all involve horses.

I agree that the Olympics are getting very commercial. But to some it is about the love of sport. I can’t think of one Canadian that isn’t trying to get out of work today to watch the men’s hockey. My work (Very large company) has made t.v.'s available to everyone so we can watch the game.

So, some of us are still very much into the sport.

GO CANADA!

Uhhhh - Velvet - re your comment that only the big countries win the Olympics … the last I checked - Norway was standing 3rd in the Winter Olympics (after Germany and the U.S.)

Norway has 4 million people … hmmm, tough guys those Vikings …

I think the concept and competition of the Olympics are still a worthy ideal to be upheld and celebrated. And I don’t have as much of a problem with allowing pros in – anyone who trains at that high a level is really a pro, with or without the paycheck. Letting those who get paid into the pot allows the winner to really be proud.

What DOES disgust me, though, is the way the games have become so politicized and the manner in which American TV covers them. I think everyone would benefit from a refocusing on the sport aspect of the games – including the instances of amazed winners and truly sportsmanlike losers.

In a world where most Americans probably don’t know where Australia is on a map, the Olympic games provide a reminder that there’s more to globe than just the USA. For that alone I think they have an important role for Americans.

Oh, well, I don’t think it has ever been completely fair. Didn’t the original Olympians have some sort of sponsership? I don’t have a problem with professionals competing, only a problem with performance enhancing drugs. It is a shame that people can’t always play fair. I guess it’s the nature of sport.

But what about that Bode Miller! Is he fun to watch or what!

Back in, what, 1976? When we boycotted the Olympics it only hurt the athletes and started the destruction. WE Americans are to blame for part of the problem, but not all. I think there are many contributing factors; the size (including number of events), the type of events, the way the world looks up to athletes and is willing to throw millions at them. It’s all part of it.

They’re ruined. So, what (if anything) can fix them?

Actually, the reason the US boycotted the 1980 Moscow Olympics was to protest the USSR invasion of Afganistan.

Interesting, eh?

Then the Russians boycotted the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics on account of we had boycotted them first. Their absence paved to way to making Mary Lous Retton a Gymnastics champion; she probably would have been outclassed otherwise.

But you have to agree that Scott Hamilton is one of the best sportsman out there–and best skating commentator. He ALWAYS is kind and seems to hate outright negative criticism, and he has compassion for the competitors of all levels, as well as giving effusive praise to those who have earned it.

I also think Dan Jansen has been great on all the speed skating and very supportive of the athletes, never taking sides with any country.

These are the people I like to see as commentators. They are behind the athletes and can explain the sport in layman terms.

<BLOCKQUOTE class=“ip-ubbcode-quote”><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davidgud - equestrian jihad:
Uhhhh - Velvet - re your comment that only the big countries win the Olympics … the last I checked - Norway was standing 3rd in the Winter Olympics (after Germany and the U.S.)

Norway has 4 million people … hmmm, tough guys those Vikings … <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only are guys from Norway tough, they are HOT! I’m going to the prom this spring with a skier whose family is from Norway. Blonde hair, blue eyes… sigh

Aleesha

You’re right! ROTFLOLWMP

We used to call it that when I was younger as a joke, because of the opening, and I guess my subconcious took over when I was typing.

Well…you get the idea, anyway.

Velvetwhosefaseisredfromallthetyposandothermisinformationinherreplies

How odd, I was just talking about this this morning in the barn with my fiance. I feel that this Olympics have proven that we as a species have become so political, so petty, and so, so, I don’t have a word for it (sorry).

I mean really, Korea and Russia are threatening to boycott. Why? Because they LOST?

I always thought the Olympics were about the true spirit of sport, and sportsmanship. I haven’t really seen it at this games. I’ve seen scandal, intrigue and name calling - not very sportsmanlike, IMO.

Is it a worldwide phenomenon? I worry about us, sometimes.