Are there any products that make riding&barn life easier for you?

With your disability are there any products that make riding, grooming, barn chores and general farm life easier for you? Are there any realistic products (ie. not Jetson’s style stuff) that you wish places would manufacture and sell that could make horse time easier and/or more comfortable for you?

My current life savers at the barn and for riding are:

-pull on fullseat breeches (fastening things can be tough for me)

-Nunn Finer rubber keepers…they are inexpensive and wonderful especially for flash straps!

-the dressage whip Smart Pak sells with a gel handle…it seems to conform to my hand and is lightweight, well balanced and easy to carry.

-Mountain Horse dressage boots…the zipper is easy to pull and has a big “puller”. Even though they are a little wide for me, I cannot wear the typical snug boots because of my nerves. The footbed is sooo comfy that I can wear them all day.

-Herm Sprenger stirrups with the offset eye. They put my stirrups in the same place I would have put them if I had MDC stirrups, but they are about $100 less.

-The ergonomic pitchfork I bought at my local grain store. It has a cushy, rubbery foamish grip and a lightweight, curved aluminum handle.

-Vera Bradley belts. I know this sounds stupid, but they are easy to fasten AND dress up my riding outfit quite nicely for special occassions or if the waist on my breeches is too big. The added bonus is the belts are often on clearance for $5 on the VB website!!!

-Kitchen Aid scissors for opening bales of hay, bags, etc. They stay sharp and can often be purchased inexpensively at TJ Maxx.

My wish list:

-A bra that easily goes on and easily comes off and to top it all off, wicks sweat away!

-Gloves that come in pairs with a different size for each hand

-Hose on/off switches that last more that one season!

with my particular troubles, the 3 step mounting block that hubby built for me is a lifesaver. It is heavy and stable and large ( more than 3 feet across!) and once I climb the steps to the platform, I can just swing a leg over without having to clamber. Dismounting is also easy peasy. It was patterned on the one we saw being used for physically disabled and paraplegic riders ( without a ramp).

With fatigue, anything that saves steps grooming is a boon. The vacuum cleaner is a big help- 5 minutes to groom and it sucks up the dust so I don’t have to breathe it.

I put strong loops big enough for a gloved finger, on the zippers of my boots so they are easier to do up. I used rubber hose washers tied onto the zipper pulls with dental floss. Same with my chaps zippers.

I hear you about the bra thing though…

Electrogroom Vacuum…natures gift to better breathing, less joint stress and the horses like it too!

Other than that…hmmmmm, Advil?

I’m lucky, except for not being able to run since a traumatic and dramatic Gold Cup crash and burn in 1976 (I lived, my horse didn’t), I’ve made it this long with all joints working and not hurting. I credit the vacuum with helping elbows remain pain-free.

I’m also a big fan of the endurance stirrups…very large bearing surface with almost an inch of padding, they’re great! Look a bit funny on my Passier, but who cares.

3 step mounting block
short horses (Lipizzans)
front closure sports bras
zip up boots or paddock boots with half chaps
pasture vacuum for poop pick up
horse vacuum for winter grooming
Gator for getting around quickly
Propane heater in arena for watching rides
Most of all, a helpful hubby

Pasture vacuum?

Touchstone,
Pasture vacuum? Does it do stalls, too? I just spent the entire day cleaning up after my herd. I have to do it in small doses, or I am cooked. During the week I have some help in the am. Weekends, one of my gallant sons will help if he is available. Please tell more! does it serve drinks , too?

Ditto: My Mounting Platform was originally built for me so I could get on/off my 17.3 Percheron. Now it’s a back and knee saver for me to get on/off any horse. And even though it’s big, if I have to move it, the steps lift off, since they’re attached (sort of) via a French Cleat. I can move the two sections myself that way. Fortunately I rarely move it :wink:

I also would be lost without my Rubbermaid Farm Tough Cart. So much easier to maneuver that thing instead of a traditional wheelbarrow. I can get 2 whole bales of hay out to the paddock/pasture.

Small 2 wheel muck cart I can put handle across my lap and push it, also doesn’t allow it to hold to much so doesn’t get to heavy.

Concrete everywhere that I groom,wash and lead horses.

U shaped wash rack keeps horses contained while washing,
Those flat braided type lead ropes when they trail on the ground they are easy to roll over and don’t jam my wheels up.

Wash wand allows to reach up high and get dirt.
Over head hose so I don’t get tangled in hose.

I haven’t been able to figure out how to use a vacum from a chair the cord and hose get tangled up and it becomes more frustrating then anything, so I body clip in the winter.

Pelleted bedding less waste to pick out of stalls.
Pelleted feed rather then hay, easy to feed and carry from a chair.
Auto waterers don’t have to deal with dragging a hose from a chair.

Service Dog that returns all buckets to barn, and brings me rakes, brushes you name it.
Synthetic harness, lite weight and easy to lift and put on the horse.
Gator for getting down to the arena for teaching lessons and around at horse shows.
Winch in truck and trailer to load carriages.
Hydraulic seat on carriage makes it easy to get in and out.:slight_smile:
Horse’s trained to rest hind feet on something for ease of cleaning and putting studs in.

Diane Kastama

Chocomare,
Thanks for the detailed photos of your mounting block. I was trying to figure out what a french cleat is. It has matching wedges that interlock, Is that correct? does the bottom wedge need a support under it?

Cadriver,

Does the U shaped wash area have cross ties in the top of the U or the bottom? I guess I am asking, which way is your horse facing? You have put a lot of thought into your work area.

I thought maybe a vacuum cleaner that has a pool hose would be able to go on your over head water hose hanger. My big electrovac uses a pool hose, I discovered. The central shop or house vacs probably would, too.

Correct! :yes: Here’s a drawing of a smaller version of a french cleat, commonly used to mount cabinets to walls, but you’ll be able to see how to construct one for the mounting platform. You just make it bigger! :wink:

http://benchmark.20m.com/plans/FrenchCleat.pdf

Hope that helps!! :slight_smile:

Very cool mounting block idea

[QUOTE=ChocoMare;4448382]
Correct! :yes: Here’s a drawing of a smaller version of a french cleat, commonly used to mount cabinets to walls, but you’ll be able to see how to construct one for the mounting platform. You just make it bigger! :wink:

http://benchmark.20m.com/plans/FrenchCleat.pdf

Hope that helps!! :)[/QUOTE]

I cannot believe I forgot to add my horsie vac. It is very essential to barn life

I also LOVE my Herm Sprenger hole punch. I don’t have the strength to punch holes in thick leather without it!

Unfortunately, my father built me a big 4 step mounting block that was supposed to be moveable. It was an evil mounting block. It ended up being a toy for my goats until they completely trashed it! Now I have a pink 3 step block. I really need/want a bigger block, but I know Dad will replicate the evil, unsteady red mounting block he built.

“Does the U shaped wash area have cross ties in the top of the U or the bottom?”

Here is a picture of one like what I have
http://www.mdbarns.com/catalogD.aspx?Catalogid=10

Scroll down and you will see it, the horse goes in front words and I usually just put a butt chain on the end and don’t even tie the horse.

As for vacum,
i don’t really groom in the wash rack since we have it on a bit of slope for water to drain, I groom in the barn or breezeway of my mare motel. And the overhead space in the barn is taken up by a canoe… But an overhead hose would probably work. just like water if I could figure out where to mount it:-)

My dad and our farm helper, since I cannot pick up manure.

Electric wheelbarrow

Lightweight folding chairs (so I don’t have to stand)

Heated automatic waterers

Heated vet room

And even though my ponies are only 13.2h, I LOVE a 3 step mounting block.

Cadriver wash rack

Cadriver,

Thanks for the photo. Do they require a lot of training to use the U wash rack? Some of my horses paw and wiggle and lean. This would really help with washing them by myself.

Reusable hand warmers!
I’m only 28, but am developing some pretty righteous arthritic issues in my hands, especially my right one. Even in summer, the reusable warmers help my hands ‘unclaw’ when I overdo it grooming/tacking/etc. They don’t stay warm long enough to really help KEEP my hands warm in winter, but they last long enough to be helpful before and after riding. You just toss them in a pot of boiling water to recharge them. They’ve been a real life saver.

Rubyfree, where do you get the reusable hand warmers? I’ve only been able to find the disposable ones here in Maine, but I’d like to find something that’s reusable for this winter. Already near or below freezing here, & we had a little snow.

These are also good for warming up the bit!

Whicker
u-shape wash rack
It is great for those horses that move around a lot, they end up leaning on it etc. Rather then you. They can’t whip around and get you with their hip. Most horse’s are fine with it. They will usually just go in and I will let them stand a bit, then back out, then back in. You can brush them or talk to them make sure they are comfortable before you spray with water:-)

All my young horses learn pretty quick, I have the one that was put in the ground and then I poured concrete around it, they have the one that bolts to concrete if you aready have that. The height is important, it can’t be put in 2 deep or horses might have a tendency to rear out of it. Some places have 2 one for ponies, one for horses. Because to high and a pony might try to duck out and go forward.

I really like it because I can lean on it from my chair and I don’t run into the horse, when washing their legs or reaching underneath etc.

Forgot,
Grey Mountain bike tires for my chair, the grey doesn’t leave marks on the walls of my house and the tread helps around the ranch, I do track in a lot of dirt:-)

These are the hand warmers I have.

http://www.amazon.com/Prism-Technologies-Proheat-Reusable-Warmer/dp/B000C9DCG8

I think I’m going to try to make the microwavable kind this winter- a mini version of the rice microwave heat packs. In theory, they will retain heat longer. :yes: I’ll let y’all know how that goes.

[QUOTE=whicker;4445781]
Touchstone,
Pasture vacuum? Does it do stalls, too? I just spent the entire day cleaning up after my herd. I have to do it in small doses, or I am cooked. During the week I have some help in the am. Weekends, one of my gallant sons will help if he is available. Please tell more! does it serve drinks , too?[/QUOTE]

It could do some stall cleaning if you mean wet spots and small piles. You wouldn’t want to pick up all the shavings.