Ariat Hunter Dress Boots - need alternative

Okay, so I have some Ariat Hunter Dress Boots Zip. I cannot stand them! They are the same size as some Ariat field boots that I had, but they fit totally different. Main complaints: the calf is too big (even though it was the same size as the other boots I had), and the leather on the lateral surface of the boot is extraordinarily stiff. I also made the mistake of purchasing some stock brown pull-on Der Dau field boots this summer which I absolutely LOVE! This purchase has made wearing the Ariats for formal season a miserable task. So, are there any Ariat dress boots that don’t have that stiff leather on the lateral surfaces (is it reinforced with heavy-duty cardboard)? I have though about buying some pull-on Ariat Hunter Dress boots in a smaller calf size, but I am afraid I will still be unhappy with them. Or, do I just need to save my money and purchase another pair of Der Dau’s (this could take another 2 years or so, unless I can find something on Ebay)? Any other inexpensive stock dress boots that you would recommend?

Before you give up entirely, is there anything you can do to soften the Ariats? Obviously you’ve worn them to break them in, but have you tried heavily oiling them? My dress boots are Ariat , but they’re an older style, from when they were still made in Italy. Ariat’s other dress boot,the Maestro, might be softer. I’ve heard good things about Mountain Horse boots, but the only pair I owned were the Sportive High Rider II. They were quite comfortable, but many people would find them too coarse looking for formal use.
Good luck!

Besides boot polish, I’ve tried Passier Lederbalsam. They just seem so unyielding! I did the hose-in-the-boot, wear 'til they dry thing with my Der Daus (just once), and it worked beautifully. I didn’t try it with the Ariats. Since they are not close fitting at the calves, I didn’t think it would help much.

The Ariat Maestro has been discontinued, I believe. The Ariat Westchester has a much more refined fit and more supple leather than the Hunter. :slight_smile:

“The Ariat Westchester has a much more refined fit and more supple leather than the Hunter.”

Thank you! I will look into that one!

Did same thing - love my field boots but when ordered, the dress boots fit horribly, even though same size. I sent them back and have just decided to wait to buy dress boots.

I have a pair of Westchesters and love them :slight_smile:

They’re not Ariats, but I love my Dublin Aristocrats. I abuse the heck out of them, but they’re comfortable to do trail rides in, all my endurance conditioning and even wear for endurance rides - including the trot outs at the vet holds.

[QUOTE=candysgirl;5971897]
They’re not Ariats, but I love my Dublin Aristocrats. I abuse the heck out of them, but they’re comfortable to do trail rides in, all my endurance conditioning and even wear for endurance rides - including the trot outs at the vet holds.[/QUOTE]

Good price point on these boots, too!

There are some Ariat Maestros at Horsloverz.com for $167. After reading the description, though, I am afraid that i am going to have the same issues with the leather (as I do with the Ariat Hunter). I will do a search on them to see if anyone has loved them.

May just keep trolling Ebay for used Ders.

[QUOTE=retreadeventer;5971433]
Did same thing - love my field boots but when ordered, the dress boots fit horribly, even though same size. I sent them back and have just decided to wait to buy dress boots.[/QUOTE]

Fustrating. Wish I had returned mine, too.

The maestro is a stiffer leather, but I love the squared toe box. It gives my pinky toe lots of room.

I found a used pair of maestro, maybe worn 6 times, before the owner changed trainers and the new trainer said, “You’ll ride better in…”

They didn’t come with zippers, but there is a local shoe place that does an awesome job with zippers.

[QUOTE=jawa;5973765]
The maestro is a stiffer leather, but I love the squared toe box. It gives my pinky toe lots of room.

I found a used pair of maestro, maybe worn 6 times, before the owner changed trainers and the new trainer said, “You’ll ride better in…”

They didn’t come with zippers, but there is a local shoe place that does an awesome job with zippers.[/QUOTE]

I don’t want zippers, so without would be perfect! I have fallen in love with the pull-on Der Daus, but maybe that’s because the leather is so soft. With a stiffer boot, the pull-on may not be such a pleasant experience.

Yes getting them on and off without zippers was a challenge. Even with zippers, getting my foot out of the throat of the boot can be hard after a long days hunting.

One of these days I’ll get a pair of custom boots, but not anytime in the near future.