Unlimited access >

Armbands, bracelets and such

Last show my armband annoyed the heck out of me.

Then I realized I didn’t need it (actually read the rules…) and bracelets are OK. I have drug allergies, so.

Then I researched RideSafe and RoadID et al ($20-40), read a bunch of threads and finally decided to get a slide on dog tag made for about $10 and put it on my watch strap.

My question is: do EMTs look on watch straps for info or is this a waste of time? If I made it red would that help?

I think your best bet would be your standard medical alert tag.

One of the reason I believe the armbands were abandon was because no medical professional would ever use that information without confirmation because of liability issues. An example would be they would never give you blood based on the type written on your card without going through the process to confirm it themselves. Fundamentally they were never used.

2 Likes

How visible is it? Can you add a medical alert emblem?
That doesn’t sound like it’s going to be very visible. I have a road id bracelet (they are super popular with runners) and have been told basically what subk said, that they are not really useful for medical information but good for ID in a situation where you are running/trail riding etc. alone and not carrying anything. But I don’t have any significant preexisting conditions.

I’m thinking something like this now:

https://www.stickyj.com/product/stainless-steel-medical-id-shoe-tag-cr5198

On your wrist + medical alert symbol seems like a pretty good a chance of being seen by a provider looking for such things. :woman_shrugging:

I have the RoadID rubbery bracelet (2 for $20) with a metal slide that lists my name, date of birth, husband ph#, Dr’s. ph# and medical allergy. Figure that’ll get them to the rest of the info they need if I’m incapacitated.

I believe the rules changed for 2021, medical information is only required if you have a disclosed medical condition. If you do not have any medical condition, no armband or bracelet is necessary.

Where did you get 2 for $20? Cheapest I saw was $25 for one?

RoadID silicone stretch bracelet. They had a special last winter, so I got one in my eventing color and a grey one.

I don’t know the rules but are you able to store your phone in a pocket or somehow tuck it away on you? I have an extensive medical issues and they are all accessible via the emergency I’d on my phone. I also have it set up where they can access my continuous glucose monitor to have that info too. I don’t know what I’d do in the event I couldn’t ride with my phone on me because of the CGM. I suppose I could use just the CGM monitor. But if we are able to use phones that’s an excellent way to have the info available. I’d also wear a medical bracelet that indicates my major conditions and to check my phone. Just a thought if it was something that was allowed. Which, I think it should be. I realize the phone should not be accessible to the rider during the ride. It for people with major health issues I think this might be a safe bet. That or have the info you have in the app printed out and given to the medical team on-site in case something happens. Maybe they could do a simple paper bracelet that indicates your info is on file. Another option would be a code they could scan on a paper bracelet that would take them right to your info. That’s more labor intensive on their end but I can see it being useful.

I’ve just found that cards/bracelets often don’t have the space to give adequate information. Not enough room to list all allergies, all conditions, and for me- what doctor to call because unless the hospital is specialized I won’t get the proper care. I know I’m not the only one in that type of situation. I haven’t been showing so I haven’t worried about it much. But knowing there is a better process would make me more comfortable going to shows.

There’s no rule against carrying your phone with you while riding, but unfortunately if you have a serious fall it may not survive. Road ID has a slightly more expensive option that allows you to store extensive information online and include a website and PIN number on the bracelet so that responders can log in or call to access the information. I’m sure there are other similar options via other services. I would be careful to have a backup for your phone if the information is important.

1 Like

Really? Hum. Didn’t know that.

Was it me, I would tell everyone I could think of that I have medical issues and that I would appreciate them keeping an eye on me. I would also leave a list of instructions and contacts in a central place, known to all, such as with the secretary or with control.

Yep! Says the person who is always trotting back to the trailers going “[crap, crap, crap], I forgot my armband”

My cousin, who is a paramedic, advised me to always ride with my RoadID on even when I’m at home in my own arena. At minimum he wanted to see an emergency contact number, but he also advised me to put my name, birth date, medical conditions and medications on it. Thankfully my “issues” are few so I was able to do that but if there were more then he really wanted someone on it who can respond when there’s an emergency.

I keep a “packet” tacked to the inside of my trailer tack room door with all pertinent medical information for my horse and I when we’re out. That way my trainer, friends, or whoever can grab it and toss it with me.

My Road ID is a tag that slides on the band of my Fitbit, and I never take it off, except to shower. I have allergies to several common antibiotics and pain medications, so those are on there as a flag (I have the subscription to the detailed medical record.). My husband’s mount of choice is a motorcycle, so he also has one. Twenty bucks a year is pretty cheap piece of mind.