Armchair Drs...is this Lyme? Anyone had Lyme that can help with symptoms?

So I was super happy healthy up until July of this past summer. It started with nausea for several days in a row leading to vomiting. Then the following week started an insane fatigue…I could barely leave the house. A week after that I started noticing heart palpitations, primarily at night. They got pretty severe. Then enter the migrating joint pain the following week. One day the base of my left thumb hurt so bad I couldn’t hold a glass, the next day it’s fine but it’s my right ankle. Then that is fine and it’s my right thumb. Repeat daily. My left shoulder went out to the point I couldn’t lift it above a “T” and has remained sore this whole time, although some days it’s perfectly fine. The following week I got dizzy and had some screaming migraines and actually started losing my balance once or twice while they happened. So, I finally realized something was seriously wrong and headed to the doctor. He immediately thought Lyme Disease as I live in the Midwest and while I haven’t found a tick on me I see them regularly. He also tested for Lupus, Rheumtoid Arthritis, Thyroid, Magnesium Deficiency and we had an MRI of my brain. Everything came back normal. Because he’s a good doctor he said sometimes Lyme can hide so let’s just try a course of Doxycycline to see if I get better. Within 2 weeks my fatigue was gone, heart palpitations gone and migraines gone. All the joint pain left except my left thumb and my left shoulder are still really painful most days.

For those that have dealt with Lyme Disease, is it normal for the joint pain to stick around in one or two joints for awhile after treatment? Anything else you guys can think we should test for?? I feel SOOOO much better but the joint pain is still a little concerning as I want to make sure I don’t wait to get treated for something if there is something to treat for! I did 4 weeks of Doxycycline and finished it almost 4 weeks ago. Any ideas or advice would be wonderful! I couldn’t ride for almost 2 months because of the joint pain and now need a thumb stabilizer most days because of the pain at the base of my thumb. I just had knee surgery so I’m hoping resting all winter will help my body recover from whatever the heck this is! Thanks so much!!

Did you get tested for Rocky Mtn Spotted Fever? Although most of your symptoms sound like Lyme, I am currently being treated for both so not sure which symptoms can be attributed to which disease, but my daughter is taking treatment for RMSF and your symptoms sound very similar.

As far as joint pain, mine improved greatly during the first 3 weeks of treatment and I just started my 2nd round so can’t tell you about after treatment pain.

Good luck -

If you felt better with the doxy, then chances are it may be Lymes. I would see an Infectious Disease doc to be sure. Also to consider, cytomegalovirus or CMV can give you same symptoms. HTH