Arthritic knees - wanting advice

Looking for some advice. Many years ago I was in a car accident and over time my knees have become arthritic. I’ve made changes in my life to accommodate the changes in my knees, but I think the time has come to see what options are out there for my knees. Other than taking Mobic/Meloxicam prescribed by my family doctor, I haven’t gone to an ortho doctor.

I’m 71 and still ride and want to continue to do that plus work in the yard. I’m wondering what type of doctor to go to and how I find a good one. Should I go to a surgeon who specializes in knees? Or do I go to a sports medicine ortho surgeon? Should the surgeon be familiar with knee replacement for riders? Or is a knee replacement a knee replacement? Is it wise to get a second opinion from another doctor?

I live in northwest Indiana (near Valparaiso); about 65 miles east of Chicago. I would appreciate any advice or recommendations you might have. If you would like to email recommendations or non-recommendations direct to my email, please do so at buggygal at frontier dot com

Thank you for your time.

I would look for a physiologist or a doc that specializes in rehab and PT…mine has helped me with some exercises and an excellent type of sleeve brace that really does help my arthritic knees. I’m 69. Still riding and walking three corgis a lot. I can’t take any Meds because of kidney function issues.

If you need knee replacements, find a good surgeon — that makes all the difference. My orthopod owns all of my joints. The rehab is a bitch, do exactly what the PT people tell you to do, no more and no less. If your knees are bone on bone, replacement may be your only option.

Mobic was a game changer for me but if it is not cutting it for you anymore, then I’d look for a good sports orthopod - someone who works on athletes, and perhaps has a good rehab / PT center in addition to their ortho practice.

I had a total knee at 20 (!) and have dealt with knee arthritis for 3 decades now. Every once in a while I tweak something and have to do a couple weeks of PT to get things back under control, but other than that I’ve been pretty lucky.

Good luck!

See about a referral to a rheumatologist, they specialize in all types of arthritis. The rheumy can refer you to an orthopedic surgeon if you need surgery. Also a lot of people don’t think about the shoes they wear when it comes to achy knees and backs. A good supportive shoe makes a big difference.