Ashlee Watts - horse abuse

What a psycho. She needs to be shocked with a cattle prod 1000 times in 40 minutes and see if she still thinks she did nothing wrong.

19 Likes

This is the first I’ve heard of this. I’m kind of wishing I hadn’t. I did a YouTube search for Ashlee Watts avoiding the actual video of the incident but found an old local news story about it. They reported that she shocked the horse’s back, legs, hindquarters, feet, tailhead, vulva (WTF!!!), belly, neck, nose, ear canal, and eyes. Was she teaching veterinary students it’s okay to use a cattle prod to bring a horse out of sedation? If a doctor did that to an unconscious human patient they’d be put in prison.

They also interviewed another woman who says her horse was treated there and came home with injuries worse than those that they were supposed to be treating. The horse had to be euthanized.

Kudos to the tech that was brave enough to take and release the video.

35 Likes

I THINK that would be the owner of “Dazzle.” Her story is pretty bad and she’s been very active in pushing the issue out in front of people.

No abuse in this video, but a horse who is unable to rise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCdf0lrqNYc&ab_channel=ForDazzle

7 Likes

Yes, it was Dazzle’s owner.

2 Likes

I think she lost her temper and took her own frustration and anger at the failed recovery out on the horse. And now she’s trying to act like it didn’t really matter.

Horrible to think she’s been in a respected position at the hospital for years because having someone like that in a position of power poisons the whole organization over time, especially when it’s a strict hierarchy like a vet hospital. Good on that tech for doing the right thing. And shame on the University for trying to cover it up.

18 Likes

She lied to her students. She told them it was a “budget case” and Allie’s owners refused to pay for other care. The owners had actually told her to spare no expense.

A student repeatedly informed Watts that the sling wasn’t on properly. There was no way for Allie to even get her hind feet underneath herself to stand. She wouldn’t fix the sling.

Because of those things, I don’t think her goal was to make the horse stand. She just wanted to torture Allie.

19 Likes

If that had been my horse and something like this happened, she would disappear…
that is horrific.
Kudos to the very brave vet tech who preserved the video

20 Likes

Watts is a monster. The cattle prod use :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:. The suffering that For Dazzle went through…for days. How could colleagues allow this behavior let alone cover it up once it happened?
I hope there is a special place in hell for her.

15 Likes

Agreed. Wouldn’t need a trial. I’d do to her exactly what she did to my horse.

What’s more horrific is that no one did anything to stop her.

A good reminder to never use a vet who graduated from A&M, though. EVER. God only knows what else they were ‘taught.’ You’d think the university would have already investigated and fired her - have they? Because if not, that’s just another red flag - not just for the vet school, but the entire university.

16 Likes

There was something in a post up thread that the vet tech took the video to the school first and it was kept on the down low apparently
So she went farther with it.

6 Likes

That’s sick. You’d think they’d be more invested in their public profile, at least, if they don’t actually care about the animals brought to them for help.

3 Likes

The school’s priority was to protect it’s reputation.

I think it’s similar to the way the Larry Nassar case unfolded.

10 Likes

If you have the stomach for it, starting on Pg.55, there is a detailed explanation of events, with witness statements.

What she did is almost certainly more haunting than whatever you are imagining, and you can’t un-read it. Don’t look at the PDF unless you can compartmentalize these things well.

6 Likes

They did not “fire” her. They put her on administrative leave. However, she had her license revoked recently. Max penalty, 5 years? And a 15 K fine.

Original recommendation was suspension, a huge amount of continuing education, and the fine. The board changed that and adopted that the license be revoked.

I dare say, when the people who will determine if you can keep your license are the ones contacting the local DA’s office for animal cruelty….the writing is already on the wall. The vet tech said they pulled the video immediately because “things disappear”….per a local BB poster claiming to be family.

14 Likes

The hot shot and cattle prod were used on Allie. Dazzle’s owner is the one going after Ms. Watts and doing a great job nailng her.

12 Likes

Ashlee Watts and the way she abused this horse is absolutely unconscionable. As far as public/private goes, I’m reasonably sure that state universities (of which Texas A&M is one of them) could be argued to be public grounds, as evidenced by the way that freedom of speech are protected on them - state schools cannot prohibit student groups from bringing in speakers that the admin themselves disagree with regardless of the reason.

Although I would also argue if Ashlee Watts can be banned from USDF/USEF based on events happening on private property, since Ashlee Watts was caught on film abusing horses, if she is competing at the FEI levels could one argue that FEI rules apply? Is there room to file this with the FEI since she’s ridden at FEI levels (assuming her PSG class counts)?

13 Likes

Oh, I know. 2 different horses…how many more?

2 Likes

Makes me absolutely SICK these people need jail for life my god I can not comprehend this AT ALL

5 Likes

Didn’t they completely ignore post surgery aftercare, and many hours later were trying to get the horse up, which they should have done much sooner? But my God in heaven, shocking the eyes, vulva, etc. or ANYWHERE that many times?

2 Likes