Ashlee Watts - horse abuse

USEF can suspend people convicted in court of law on abuse charges

GR702 Violations

1. A violation is any act prejudicial to the best interests of the Federation, including but not limited to the
    following:

c. Determination that disciplinary action has been taken by an administrative agency, arbitration or other tribunal body, humane society, other National Governing Body, or a court of law.
10 Likes

This is grotesque, vile, and despicable.

WHY FFS was this allowed to go on - continue - and NOT CONSEQUENCED?

I’m with those why would like to inflict the same torture on this horrid woman.

11 Likes

Wouldn’t having her veterinary license revoked fall into this category?

8 Likes

It’s only a matter of time, in my opinion, until she pleas guilty to get a deal or gets convicted by a jury. They should go ahead and sanction her.

Including the surgical site.

I assume so since state licensing agencies are administrative agencies. I assume however, someone needs to inform USEF about the situation.

1 Like

I went ahead and emailed USDF to ask. I do see she is currently in good standing with them. I am not currently a member of USEF so could not see her membership status. It looks like she doesn’t have to be FEI to compete PSG.

4 Likes

Look at a Sdel’s post, a couple of posts up. Watts has competed at FEI level.

My question would be how many times does a horse act like this when there is not some other comorbity?
If she didn’t want to stand after debridement of an abscess that was non healing from the get go I would think you would wonder mmm maybe we should look for something else…

3 Likes

There were comorbidities. This is from page 63 from the pdf anonevent shared above.

A necropsy revealed that, in addition to the foot infection Respondent was treating, Allie had also been battling severe pneumonia with numerous abscesses in her organs.33 With these underlying conditions, Allie was unlikely to have survived even if she had been able to stand following surgery.

3 Likes

It doesn’t matter if there were 50 comorbidities, it doesn’t matter that she probably would have died anyway, she did not deserve to be up in a sling and suffer over 1,000 shots. That is just torture.

Edited to add: I’m not shooting the messenger, just the message.

33 Likes

Right? They should have caught that before he was put under for the surgery

4 Likes

What’s the backstory on the rest of this woman’ s life?
Was she a substance abuser?
Were there other red flags?
Usually these horrible misjudgments are not the first screw ups in a person’s life.

2 Likes

Of course there was which is the point of my post. Why didn’t she start looking for them instead of insisting the horse just didn’t want to stand?
Plus I’ve seen horses down and live.

Husband stopped a professional once who was getting out of control with a whip during a trailer loading training session. It took us a bit longer to react than I’d like to admit because your first thought is disbelief.

19 Likes

Pneumonia can develop quickly in a down horse.
But when a horse is a referral for a non healing hoof abscess I would hope they did lots of diagnostics before surgery.
But owners can be difficult and insist on not doing them. Or university clinicians can think they are all knowing and referral vets are sand between their toes.

Not making excuses just trying to make sense of the chain of events.

Of course one answer is she has always been a horrible person.

4 Likes

I have noticed that many people who are drawn to misusing whips, prods, etc are actually scared of horses.

9 Likes

you do not have to be a member of FEI to compete in national level classes using the FEI tests

USDF is an award and education group, they do not police the activity of members and they do not oversee the running of shows

6 Likes

According to her COTH interview, Ashlee Watts has owned horses since birth and rides competitively. She owns horses, breeds horses, and operates a boarding facility in addition to treating horses in a professional capacity.

3 Likes

I saw that still doesn’t mean she is not afraid of them. I have seen many equine vets and horse trainers who are.

6 Likes

She is not currently suspended by USEF.