Ashlee Watts - horse abuse

Thank goodness I wont be meeting her any time soon or I would ring her neck and hotshot her the way she did it to the poor horse

14 Likes

There was a call to arms on a Facebook page, not sure 100% if it was “For Dazzle,” a while back encouraging people to write USEF to try to get her banned. This was before her vet license was revoked.

I gave a link to my small animal vet back in the spring of the site listed below. She later told me she did read it but didn’t make any comment on it, I suspect, because she didn’t want to send me off on a crying jag like I did back when I saw her in the office, or if she thought it was hyperbole. She used to own horses and compete. I have not given her a copy of the final outcome with AW losing her license and the reasons surroundings that judgment.

2 Likes

I’ve emailed them too to see what they say.

2 Likes

If you know a USEF official or board member or someone who is well respected in the big time dressage community , email them screen shot proof that this woman’s license is suspended, the video (if she is identifiable in it), any newspaper articles about the abuse, and any other objective information, and ask them to please bring it USEF’s attention.

I have found that this is an effective method of reporting wrongdoing. I don’t know anyone in Dressage land but I’m sure someone here knows someone important, who cares about horse abuse.

8 Likes

@Sdel Is there only one video or are there more? I read that there is one out there where Allie is screaming (which caused more people to run to her stall, but they also did nothing to stop AW). In the clip I watched for less than 10 seconds, the sound was mutued. I think sending a copy of the unedited video with audio would impact anyone watching it.

2 Likes

The video doesn’t have sound. Context was added by the witnesses. From what I gather, at one point the entire video/proceedings were available to be watched through the SOAH website but that is no longer the case.

The only way to watch the full video anymore will probably be to attend the trial, if it goes to trial. One of the YT people did say they put it on their Patreon acct. But honestly, the clips are bad enough.

1 Like

This file does a really good job of explaining the context, including the owner’s side of the story. It also shows the opinions of other vets who reviewed the footage in full.

I thought I recognized her name. It makes sense that she competes locally in dressage. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen her name at the big region 9 shows in the past. I may have even seen her ride at some point.

I regret opening and reading this thread. I’m sick to my stomach knowing what this monster did to that poor horse.

22 Likes

But it hasn’t been just ‘that’ horse (Allie). Have you read ForDazzles story? I mean what the hell…a yearling that can’t stand? Took her in for a front hoof lameness then she is horribly lame on both fronts then goes down and can’t rise? What prompted her euthanasia was a severe pelvic fracture. What the hell happened to her? Other than Ashlee Watts was her vet. That doesn’t bode well.

I don’t think you could pay me to take my horse to that vet school. What is the culture there. One has to hope it has changed since they got rid of Ashlee.

23 Likes

That’s terribly sick and heartbreaking.

2 Likes

she deserves a national level award for her courage.

38 Likes

SADLY, there are “sick” people
in other medical fields.
Remember the nurse that was
killing patients overnight on their shift. WHY? Because they were angry about the extra work these patients required.
Obviously this vet has a few loose screws and a bad temper
and no impulse control.
Is there a criminal trial scheduled?

7 Likes

I think there is a trial coming up in the fall. @Sdel will know; she has been closely following this case.

In any case, AW wants her license back.

Screen Shot 2024-05-27 at 5.45.14 PM

8 Likes

I hope she bankrupts herself with legal fees for futile appeals.

38 Likes

Went to facebook group “For Dazzle” and saw the trial is set for September.
She’s going through the legal
channels now, all normal requests.
Some are indicating collusion and corruption with A&M and
state vet board. Interesting.

9 Likes

The veterinary board lawyer was a piece of work.

3 Likes

Did TAMU fire her? She may not need a license to practice there. Some universities do not require them.
The board lawyer or her lawyer @Sdel
The board lawyer would be representing the board and therefore the person filing the complaint.

Her lawyer for the veterinary board as opposed to her criminal defense lawyer.

I certainly hope for her sake they aren’t the same person….

1 Like

Gotcha. The board itself would have also had a lawyer present.
The lawyer representing her possibly was paid by her insurance if she had it so doubtful same representing her in criminal/civil trial.

They can’t put this mess back in the bottle so I think it would behoove them to distance themselves and save what is left of their reputation.

13 Likes