Unlimited access >

Asking for a friend 😁 Really!

Friend was gifted a TB by her daughter who Events & found horse unsuitable for that.
She wants to do a Schooling show & asked if daughter can show the horse at 2nd if she also shows him at Intro & possibly 1st.
My thought was “Sure, it’s a schooling show”.
But, since my last rated show was in 2000 :roll_eyes:, what’s the COTH answer?

I would ask the show directors.

Typically rated dressage only allows one rider and only 2 tests a day I think. But check with the show.

1 Like

There is no rule against more than one rider in recognized shows. At fourth and below, a horse can be entered i up to three classes a day.

From the rule book:

Horses may compete in no more than one Licensed Competition on the same day and are prohibited from competing in any non-licensed competition(s) held on the same day(s) as they compete in a Licensed Dressage Competition. Horses are limited to a maximum of three Dressage rides per day at Fourth Level and below or two Dressage rides per day above Fourth Level

As far as schooling shows, it depends on the show. My GMO’s schooling show series plays by USEF rules regarding number of rides and, like recognized shows, allows a horse to be entered at no more than two consecutive levels.

The “It’s only a schooling show” attitude taken by people who don’t think our well-published rules apply to them has caused us to change the name from schooling shows to “Summer Show Series.”

I’m sure there are schooling shows with a more “sure, whatever” vibe, and they certainly have their place. Limiting the number of tests a horse can enter in one day, however, is an important protection for the horses.

8 Likes

The issue will be you’re not supposed to go across more than two levels. So training/ first or intro/training or first/second. I would ask the organizers if this is acceptable at a schooling show!

8 Likes

Even at a schooling show I’ve always seen the “max 2 consecutive levels” rule applied. So you could do Training and First, or First and Second, but not training and Second.

If a horse and rider are ready to show Second, why would they want to compete at Training Level?

4 Likes

Thanks all for the helpful replies.
I’ll let friend know her best option will be to contact the show management :+1:

FWIW:
I rode 2 horses that belonged to a different friend at a 2017 schooling show (with an R judge) .
Same test, placed 2nd on one, 3rd on the other.

Because friend is new to Dressage & has only had horse a few months.
She’s not a Novice rider, regular member of a local Hunt.

Entirely different situation. You could ride 20 horses in the same test in the same show. But none of those horses could compete in the same test with a different rider, at least not at a show that follows USEF rules. But a different rider could ride those horses in a different test at the same level, or in any test one level higher or lower.

8 Likes

@2DogsFarm the only way to know is to contact the show secretary and ask what rules they follow. As others said most schooling shows I know of follow the USEF rules for this situation

2 Likes

Yes, this is what she should do. And if they say they follow USEF rules, she needs to familiarize herself with the rules.

I caution you, your friend, and anyone else looking for advice about specific rules not to rely on guesses from strangers on the internet unless, of course, they are quoting the rule book. The very first response on this thread was erroneous.

4 Likes