Unlimited access >

At what point do you decide its time to move on from your current horse?

I’m having a hard time deciding what the best thing is to do with my OTTB mare. I’ll tell you the long story and hope you might have some advice for me.

I bought her April 2012 with 4 months of retraining. She was going very well and calmly, I tried her 3 times, had her vetted, and bought her. Shortly after I brought her home, she started to become more spooky and unpredictable. It took me a while, but eventually determined she had ulcers. I treated her for a month had her scoped; she still had ulcers. More treatment. She started to come around and I started planning to take her to small CTs and other local shows. She then had an incident with breaking out of my trailer, slipping on the pavement and tearing open her elbow something horrible. After rehabbing that, our training had taken a huge step back. She was more nervous and unpredictable than ever. I decided to start slowly, but wasn’t getting anywhere. I scoped her again; more ulcers. The vet also recommended that I treat her as “gluten intolerant”. (She also required staples in her RH from another trailer incident arriving at the vets…) That meant alfalfa pellets and flaxseed oil to replace any possible carbs she got from grain. I also decided to treat her like I was re-breaking her at this time to calm her little brain some. I was having decent success; finally getting weight on her and after a couple months we actually started seeing really good progress. Then her performance started declining and she came off her food. I eventually suspected ulcers again and treated her. She started eating again, but then came up horribly back sore. After a month of not responding to muscle relaxers, the vet tested her for Lyme and she came back positive. Went to the vet for a week for IV treatment. At the vet, they tried to give her small area turnout. She promptly stuck her leg through their fence and required 10 stitches. Now she’s home on stall rest until the stitches are out and we feel the wound is adequately healed.

Through all of this, I have been struggling to connect with this mare. She is not personable at all. It took me a year to get her to stop running from me in the field. It still requires treats and a very careful approach. But for the most part, she’ll let me walk up to her now. She doesn’t like being groomed, doesn’t like anything to go above her eyes, so touching her ears or pulling her mane is just asking for it. She doesn’t straight tie, but will cross-tie in the right conditions. I’ve had some luck with her being more accepting of me, but she’s not a particularly lovable or pleasant horse to be around.

I’m conflicted because I really want to ride and progress so badly, but everything seems to be going against me. My first horse (which I still have because he’s a doll) needed surgery and became perpetually lame after I owned him for only 3 weeks. 7 years later, when the finances made it possible, I got this mare to be my competition horse. I 100% believe she has the ability to take me where I want to go. Everyone who sees her go agrees that she is athletic enough to go at least intermediate. But at what point is the cost of keeping her alive/sound out-weigh the potential she has? I am willing to work with her training issues and become a better rider for her, but I have only been able to ride her consistently for a total of 4 months the entire time I have had her. How am I supposed to get better? I think someone with more skill and experience than I would have better luck with her and then I could lease or buy another horse that may not have as much potential, but could at least let me enjoy riding and gain more competition experience. I’m just so conflicted and don’t know what to do.

I think you need to take a good hard look at what changed between her initial environment, where she was going calmly and nicely, and now, where she is spooky and riddled with ulcers.

Is she getting less turnout? Different hay? Not being worked as frequently? (A challenge when she’s perpetually hurt, I understand.)

I’m also worried that this horse has now had three injuries relating to trailering…look at what you’re doing there, as well, because something is wrong.

It’s fine if you just don’t click with her or just don’t like what color she is…you don’t need to justify selling her. But I think you need to take a good look at why everything with this horse is basically a disaster, by the sound of your post. You owe it to the both of you to see if something as simple as 24/7 turnout with a buddy is the key to solving all your problems.

A very small portion of the human population is actually medically gluten intolerant, the rest just think they are and have a psychosomatic or false memory reaction.

Can horses actually be gluten intolerent? Did your vet run some sort of test?

The vet also recommended that I treat her as "gluten intolerant

You would probably be better off replacing the vet than replacing the horse. :rolleyes:

That said, it does not sound like you are enjoying this horse even remotely. What a shame. :frowning: There’s nothing wrong with saying this horse doesn’t click with you if you feel like you’ve given things a fair chance. If you could find a decent home for her, why not allow yourself to start looking? I know that for myself the few times I’ve done that I’ve found my motivation and enjoyment of All Things Horse takes a GIANT leap upwards. :slight_smile:

Hearing that a horse can “go Intermediate” when one cannot even swing a leg over is about as useful as hearing that a 2nd grader is going to Harvard or will be the next Peyton Manning. It’s just hot air.

What a mess you’ve been through! And she even got injured AT the vet’s. I’m so sorry you’ve gone through all of this. Poor mare, as well. She doesn’t sound like a happy camper.

If it were me, I’d cut my losses and sell her.

Too many people out there are not with the right horse. I think you’re one of them.

And don’t keep her because someone tells you she can go at least intermediate. She may be an upper level prospect but a huge part of that is being resilient and capable of holding up to the pressures of travel, conditioning, and competition. Either she has had a long string of bad luck, or she just isn’t cut out to be what you want her to be.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120430100649.htm

http://www.thehorse.com/articles/29092/possibility-of-gluten-sensitivity-in-horses-examined

That’s a new low in animal research . . . a study of ONE animal. :lol:

I don’t know if it’s a consideration for you or not, but at this point she doesn’t really sound sale-able. Maybe a giveaway as a project, but you are going to be hard pressed to find the kind of person with the skills you say she needs that wants to take on a horse with medical issues.

[QUOTE=deltawave;7087650]
That’s a new low in animal research . . . a study of ONE animal. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Haha! I just glanced over it, DW. I was amazed at how much talk there is about Celiacs in horses. Jiminy Cricket!

Well, maybe I’m different, but I didnt’ really bond with my horse until we made progress in our rides. I really love him after a great ride. The other times, hmmm, not so much (sort of kidding, but he is a bit of a pain on the ground and not a particularly pleasant horse). So maybe be patient. If she is really talented, and you can get her soundness issues worked out, you may end up loving her.

I don’t worry about the “bonding” so much–IME that takes a lot longer than we might think–but the OP is just not having any fun at all with the horse, who seems to have few redeeming qualities that would make it worth the struggle, such as being established at a high level or some other “plus”.

If I really liked the horse, I would try to work through any of the above. But I don’t think you do (nothing wrong with that)… As someone else said how much talent she supposedly has is of no use to you/doesn’t matter if you can’t even ride her.

But to sell or give her away you will likely still need to do some work. What is her feeding and turnout regiment now? Now I do this with all of mine but this is a mare I would kick out into a field 24/7 with a good buddy once it is safe. And I don’t know gluten free would be my first option if it required I feed all alfalfa. I haven’t had any get hot off it but I know lots of people who did. Hopefully there is some way to manage this mare correctly but it may be trial and error for now.

I know I’m beginning to sound like a broken record, but I have a TB who is terribly ulcer prone. What I’ve found that is cheaper than ulcer treatment, once the ulcers are cured, is Finish Line’s U7 Gastric Aid. It’s a stomach protector and acid buffer all in one. It has worked miracles for my guy who would anticipate stomach pain from work. I use the liquid and just pour it over his feed. It’s mostly natural stuff like licorice and slippery elm and a gallon is usually less than $65 dollars for a months worth of treatment. I order mine over the internet from wherever shipping is cheapest, since the gallons come FOB and free shipping doesn’t apply.

It would not be very expensive to buy a gallon and try her on the loading dose and see if she responds well. If she does, then you’ve found one answer to her temperament issues.

If you can’t deal with liquid, they also make it in a powder.

My thought is that you have time to experiment and see what, if anything works, for her.

[QUOTE=GoForAGallop;7087573]
I think you need to take a good hard look at what changed between her initial environment, where she was going calmly and nicely, and now, where she is spooky and riddled with ulcers. [/QUOTE]

She did go from being turned out 24/7 on excellent pasture to being turned out 24/7 on lacking pasture with grain when this all started. She is now on good pasture but stalled half the day, though I make sure she has a stuffed hay bag in front of her at all times. I’ll have to see if the barn will work with me and let me turn her out 24/7; the owner of the property doesn’t like it and refuses to build run-in sheds in the fields… I cannot find the ideal boarding location in my county. Its either an hour away, no riding facilities, or no decent pasture. It doesn’t help that all three of the trainers I work with like teaching at this barn.

I have been able to resolve the trailering issues. She only hurt herself twice on the trailer in back-to-back trailering sessions (tho a couple months apart) and I was figuring out that her trigger in my trailer was tying her, plus I inadvertently was rushing myself in both situations. I’ve now worked out a system and she’s been trailering quite well, even if she is still nervous riding alone.

Based on her history, he has know other horses with similar GI issues that have benefited from taking them off all grains. It was more of a “lets just not feed her anything that could potentially hurt her stomach” thing than a real diagnosis.

It is a potential that she might be a give-away project. I have considered that. It will depend on some of my connections and how things are going with she healthy enough to start riding again. It is one of the options I am continuing to consider.

That’s what made me hang on to her so far. When she was going well this spring, while I could not say that I felt connected and loved her, I was still happy with her and our progress. I was riding 6 times a week to keep her in super consistent work and get her on the right track. I worked incredibly hard and it paid off; then the new batch of ulcers and Lyme… I am going to have to start from the ground up with her again, and its incredibly defeating to me right now… I can’t tell you if she is worth it to me to start from the ground up for the 4th time with her… that’s one of my big internal conflicts.

Yeah… If I’m not feeling like I’m learning, progressing, and enjoying riding, where is the cut-off point. That’s where I am at. It doesn’t help that all of my friends who got OTTBs around the same time are progressing and having great successes with their mounts and I’m stuck at the beginning with Ms. Nervous and Accident Prone… I know I need to get over that, but it is really adding to not enjoying riding right now, when they are organizing XC schooling and shows and I’m wrapping legs and paying another huge vet bill. I’m really down about the whole situation right now…

[QUOTE=magicteetango;7087933]If I really liked the horse, I would try to work through any of the above. But I don’t think you do (nothing wrong with that)… As someone else said how much talent she supposedly has is of no use to you/doesn’t matter if you can’t even ride her.

But to sell or give her away you will likely still need to do some work. What is her feeding and turnout regiment now? Now I do this with all of mine but this is a mare I would kick out into a field 24/7 with a good buddy once it is safe. And I don’t know gluten free would be my first option if it required I feed all alfalfa. I haven’t had any get hot off it but I know lots of people who did. Hopefully there is some way to manage this mare correctly but it may be trial and error for now.[/QUOTE]

After talking to one of my good friends, she said “well you can’t sell her right now anyways. Get her healthy, get her working again, start putting together a video and an ad, then decide how things feel at that point”. So, I’m going to start looking into what changes I can do managing her that might improve the situation for when she comes off stall rest.

I’ll have to look into this. I put her on SmartGut to see if it helped this time around. She hasn’t been on it long enough for me to see if it is working or not.

Thank you everyone for your replies. You all have nice bits of advice. I am going to have several honest talks with my trainers and figure out the best course of action once I get her healthy again. The one upper level rider I work with now told me immediately after she met us, “Do you want to sell her? Because she is going to be a really tough horse to work with”. This was right after she looked at her and told me she had ulcers. At the time, I had the motivation to become the rider my horse needed, but all the setbacks and injuries have taken all of that gusto out of me… There is still a part of me that does not want to give up that is causing a lot of my mental conflict, but it is shrinking…

The other crunch in all of this is the vet bills are starting to weigh on me financially and I can’t justify spending so much on a horse that I am getting very little enjoyment out of. I already have one expensive permanent pasture ornament that I love dearly. I can’t afford 2, especially when I don’t enjoy the second one.

The current plan is to get her healthy again and get her back into work while having lots of honest conversations with people who know me and my horse. Then I’ll probably start ramping up to sell her and see if I am still on board with the idea. But any continuing advice is certainly appreciated. I am far from resolving this…

[QUOTE=JoeIKnow;7089275]
After talking to one of my good friends, she said “well you can’t sell her right now anyways. Get her healthy, get her working again, start putting together a video and an ad, then decide how things feel at that point”. [/QUOTE]
This^^ is excellent advice.

You have a horse repeatedly getting ulcers–you don’t have a horse problem as much as you have a stable management problem. And it sounds like it’s going to be more complicated than just finding the right supplement. Not that finding ther right supplement isn’t going to be important, but the answer is going to be more than that. (Also thinking of it as a “management problem” instead of a “horse problem” takes some of the emotional bagage away from the mare.)

There are a bunch of really good ulcer threads on COTH (I should know as I’ve read them all in the last month!! ugh.) Four main things to consider: medication, diet, turnout and companionship. You might want to start your own thread and discuss the details of what you’ve done in the past to try and figure what needs to change. There is an amazing amount of practical knowledge on the subject here and the willingness to share it is what makes this place so amazing!