Unlimited access >

Attitudes of Trainers towards other trainers/owners? Hostile?

I honestly just did not expect this trainer to be so upset about the racing industry. He told he he still follows it, and that he loves thoroughbreds and visits the track but he can’t be a part of the backstretch it for reasons he won’t specify. I haven’t really heard attitudes like this from H/J/Dressage trainers though I am sure they are out there. But H/J trainers don’t go around claiming no one in their industry cares for their horses or does what is best for them. I think if they did that, retired or not, it wouldn’t go over well. Maybe this is a secret none of us know about? I know the racing world tends to be a bit more about money… in my understanding, at least.

Thanks for everyone’s insight.

A) Hes not the only track veteran who hung it up for the same reasons (best guess unsavory practices, one too many breakdowns or getting stiffed by one too many owners),

B) You need to read the HJ Forum here if you think everybody cares for the horses first and acts only in their best interests, vocally in full support ifrule changes to benefit the horses. NOT, Tubapalooza or dead pony left in crossties at Devon anyone? Not to mention some getting a belly full of the BS and stepping away from showing.

Nope, the racetrack is no different then any other discipline where profits/income is based on the success of the horses in competition, except the races are on the TV and betting interests demand accurate information so they can handicap the race and pari mutual states have regulatory boards for enforcement, not a hobby club.

2 Likes

I would take it all with a good healthy dose of salt. One person who was unable to make a living training race horses does not represent the industry.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, I do appreciate the cander.

I think what many trainers struggle with is that they are, most of the time, only the trainer. They have money bag owners (and sometimes poor owners) who see the horse as nothing more than a business and nothing more. They own racehorses to say they do. They do not care to be involved in anything having to do with the horse and if its not paying the bills; get rid of it. Trainers are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to find it a suitable home as soon as possible before things get urgent.

Granted; I have also come across trainers on the backside who have TB’s that are not paying the bills and they just want it gone. They do not care who takes the leadrope and leads it off; they don’t show any remorse for this type of scenario, and they continue on their everyday activities; its a business and if they no longer have to be burdened by an unsound, non winning horse; all the more better. I will say that these types of trainers are few and far between.

These trainers are not Bob Baffert and Todd Pletchers where they have 1000 horses in their stable book. These are trainers at the lower ranking tracks with 10 horses in their barn and know and understand each horse they care for everyday.

For the most part I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find trainers who are very chatty, enjoy hearing about the horses they once trained, and are thoroughly happy that the horse is in a safe spot.