Unlimited access >

Auction ends Feb. 20 (Tuesday) at 10 PM Eastern!

Kim Meier is an upper level eventer and sporthorse breeder who was severely injured in a fall while schooling her horse Test Run in Florida on January 16. She fell forward over her horse’s neck and landed in such a way which hyper-extended her neck, causing the damage to the C3 and C4 vertebrae. She is currently quadraplegic, but can move her shoulders.

Some of you may remember that we also held an auction for Kim last year, when her farm on the Eastern Shore of Maryland was infected with EHV-1 and under quarantine.

Kim is in the process of relocating from the hospital in Florida to the Kessler Institute, a rehabilitation facility in New Jersey, to be closer to her daughter Kelly. The up-front cost of admission is about $190,000 – several loans have been secured from individuals to get her into the facility ASAP, since insurance funds cannot be utilized that quickly. She will likely be selling her farm to cover other costs.

You can find more information and updates at http://www.carepages.com under the name Kim Meier. (You need to register to view the updates, but registration is free.)

Three funds have been set up:

Maryland Network for Injured Equestrians
Box 296
Jarrettsville, MD 21084-0296
(Donations to this fund are tax-deductible)

Kim and Kelly Morani Support Fund
Bank of America Account #4469271641
You can go into any Bank of America branch and make a deposit to the account. Checks can also be mailed to Bank of America, 2340 West Joppa Road, Lutherville, MD 21093, attn: Gail Winn.

The Kim Meier Transportation Fund
c/o Peoples Bank
100 Spring Ave.
P.O. Box 210
Chestertown, MD 21620
Account #01684112-20

Payment for auction items will be made to the BofA fund, but you are welcome to send additional monetary donations to any of the three funds.

The auction is being organized by Ruthie Harbison of Suwanee Farms. It will run through 10 p.m. Eastern time on February 20th. You can place a bid by posting it on the thread for the item, emailing your bid to Ruthie Harbison at sfieventing@earthlink.net, or you can bid in person at Poplar Place Horse Trials and Ocala II Horse Trials. Bids made via email or in person will be updated on this forum.

After February 18, ALL bids must be made in this forum, not via email to Ruthie or any other method. (Note that if you do not already have a COTH BB username, you will need to register an account to post a bid here.)

All lessons provided are at the location of the provider (at their farm) in either their winter or home location. Most will substitute lessons for schooling at shows if requested. Please contact Ruthie if you have questions about any specific item.

Donations for the auction are still being accepted. If you have anything you would like to donate please email Ruthie with the information, and she will post it here.

At this time, payment is being accepted via personal check or money order only. Payment will be made to Kim’s fund at Bank of America.

Ruthie will contact winners by February 27 with information for payment etc. If you have any questions, please contact Ruthie at sfieventing@earthlink.net or via private message (her COTH username is sfir).

many thanks Erin and Ruthie! :cool:

Thank you for this info…I am so sorry to hear this. My show hunter spent a summer at Marty and Kim Meier Morani’ s farm near Chestertown, MD moons ago when I was in college nearby. Kim had a great sense of humor and poked plenty of good, honest fun at me and my “horse show girl” ways…and my “fat as a pig” mare. Just recovering from an accident that fractured C-1 and C-7, I know how fragile life and limbs really are. My thoughts and prayers are with Kim and her family. She is a tough nut and will overcome this.

When a trainer offers lessons, it maybe a good idea to put the trainer’s discipline within the post?

Thanks!

Auction Ends Tomorrow at 10 p.m.

Hello everyone. The auction ends tomorrow at 10 p.m. Nancy Russell has been very kind in taking over all of the updates for the past week since I do not have internet service where I am.
Just a few notes…
WE will contact winners within a week of the auction. We will also post payment instructions here during the same time frame. PLEASE DO NOT SEND PAYMENT FOR AUCTION ITEMS TO KIM"S FUND DIRECTLY. We will have no way of tracking the payment being for an auction item if it is sent directly to KIm’s fund so please wait until payment instructions are posted here and you are contacted directly.
Thank you everyone for your donations and bids. We are all very grateful at the huge response!
Ruthie

I have a question. When do you have to use the lessons by? Is there any time limit?

Thanks!

You probably need to ask whoever donated the lessons if there are any restrictions on them.