Unlimited access >

AUCTION HORSES RESCUE - SCAM??

I know some of the people personally. Megan Gaynes and Anne Kent are the two main women behind AHR. I know Megan, I do not know Anne. I also know some of their ‘supporting’ people too- those that offer temp foster and those who have taken in horses funded by donations.

They are not 501c3. They are not registered anywhere as a non profit. Are they pending? They say they are but pending means nothing anything. Are they legit?

Well, here is my personal opinion. Unless a rescue is 501c3, registered, and shows a certain level of transparency, I tend to just keep out a wary eye. The way I look at it is- getting 501c3 is so damn easy and should be the first step any group striving to be legit. You should also register with your local and/or state as a non profit. Get the legalities accomplished FIRST- before publically fundraising.

Now 501c3 and registering does not make a good rescue but it’s a critical STARTING point. A good rescue builds trust and relationships- with donors, the community, and other equine professionals. You cannot effectively do this without accomplishing the above. It’s just practicing good common business sense- professionalism if you will. Non-profits are a BUSINESS first and foremost.

Is AHR a scam?.. The main point is they’ve opened themselves up to a lot of questions, which of course doesn’t look too great in the big picture of equine rescue. The concept of animal rescue is continually under scrutiny (as evident by some people on this very thread) so operating without dotting your i’s and crossing your T’s just makes things more difficult for all.

Feel free to pm too.

[QUOTE=RubyTuesday;7125820]
There you go stooging again…I have said many times I am pro-slaughter but anti-abuse, but I know y’all don’t listen when you go on a thread-hijacking spree…[/QUOTE]

Hey, you started with the attacks, now are complaining that I responded?:stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=SuperSTB;7125910]
I know some of the people personally. Megan Gaynes and Anne Kent are the two main women behind AHR. I know Megan, I do not know Anne. I also know some of their ‘supporting’ people too- those that offer temp foster and those who have taken in horses funded by donations.

They are not 501c3. They are not registered anywhere as a non profit. Are they pending? They say they are but pending means nothing anything. Are they legit?

Well, here is my personal opinion. Unless a rescue is 501c3, registered, and shows a certain level of transparency, I tend to just keep out a wary eye. The way I look at it is- getting 501c3 is so damn easy and should be the first step any group striving to be legit. You should also register with your local and/or state as a non profit. Get the legalities accomplished FIRST- before publically fundraising.

Now 501c3 and registering does not make a good rescue but it’s a critical STARTING point. A good rescue builds trust and relationships- with donors, the community, and other equine professionals. You cannot effectively do this without accomplishing the above. It’s just practicing good common business sense- professionalism if you will. Non-profits are a BUSINESS first and foremost.

Is AHR a scam?.. The main point is they’ve opened themselves up to a lot of questions, which of course doesn’t look too great in the big picture of equine rescue. The concept of animal rescue is continually under scrutiny (as evident by some people on this very thread) so operating without dotting your i’s and crossing your T’s just makes things more difficult for all.

Feel free to pm too.[/QUOTE]

Right.

This may help, “Vetting a horse rescue”, written by our own JSwan:

http://www.ratemyhorsepro.com/news/vetting-the-horse-rescue-before-donating.aspx

[QUOTE=Bluey;7125911]
Hey, you started with the attacks, now are complaining that I responded?:p[/QUOTE]

Are you feeling OK? I’m serious, not joking.

I dont’ know that a person can make all these assumptions based on being deleted from a FB post. Sometimes it does take awhile to receive 501©3 status as some organizations have been waiting since 2008! If the OP made a donation and feels it’s a scam don’t donate again, donate to an organization who is close to home that you feel is legit. I’ve seen this person’s personal FB page and from what I’ve seen - whether it’s 501©3 or not she seems to be actively engaged in helping horses…

[QUOTE=gottagrey;7126046]
I dont’ know that a person can make all these assumptions based on being deleted from a FB post. Sometimes it does take awhile to receive 501©3 status as some organizations have been waiting since 2008! If the OP made a donation and feels it’s a scam don’t donate again, donate to an organization who is close to home that you feel is legit. I’ve seen this person’s personal FB page and from what I’ve seen - whether it’s 501©3 or not she seems to be actively engaged in helping horses…[/QUOTE]

It’s an MO that does not bode well for the organization.
If they are legit, more power to them, but their bedside manner needs a lot of work.

[QUOTE=Alagirl;7126056]
It’s an MO that does not bode well for the organization.
If they are legit, more power to them, but their bedside manner needs a lot of work.[/QUOTE]

Begs the question, why would a rescue have to ban anyone from their pages?

Maybe the OP was out of line, maybe the rescue doesn’t want questions asked, hard to know.

Would be interesting to hear other sides to the story.

I was following their Facebook posting a bit as I was unaware of the match racing and alleged horse tripping going on which seems to be the next to last stop before the slaughter truck. To be fair, despite many facebook posters claiming that their farrier can fix that horse or all it needs is some groceries, etc., to blossom into a beautiful show horse, AHR is always quick to point out most of these are pet or companions only or that perhaps you will be only offering a quick hospice type home to show some kindness prior to euthanasia.

The HERDA one did have me a bit baffled and I missed the deleted posts, but plenty that did mention it remained posted. I think they were just frustrated that they were initially unable to secure that one and that the owners even mentioned perhaps using him for breeding I believe. That response seemed a bit out of character, but thankfully they got the horse and seem to acknowledge the condition and were having a vet out to ascertain the situation.

On a side note, it is amazing what people think they can ascertain based on just a few poorly lighted, oddly angled Picts and also how many want that $100 auction horse to be a sound, sane, and rideable horse. It does seem that AHR does do a bit of a background check on potential homes.

But lastly, I do hope they are working hard on keeping the business in compliance with the law because they certainly give me no indication of trying to scam people or are in it for any sort of profit. Hopefully, more people who are in the “know” can comment.

[QUOTE=Bluey;7126060]
Begs the question, why would a rescue have to ban anyone from their pages?

Maybe the OP was out of line, maybe the rescue doesn’t want questions asked, hard to know.
Would be interesting to hear other sides to the story.[/QUOTE]

Oh I saw a crazy post on some horse rescue’s FB where this person was saying all this insulting stuff - the people from the rescue were posting “who is this person” and more craziness ensued… so I can see where that kind of blather would be deleted…

Unfortunately its getting increasingly easier for scammers to look legit which makes us more suspicious about legitimate organizations…

PS: Great P\post Candico

[QUOTE=gottagrey;7126046]
I dont’ know that a person can make all these assumptions based on being deleted from a FB post. Sometimes it does take awhile to receive 501©3 status as some organizations have been waiting since 2008! If the OP made a donation and feels it’s a scam don’t donate again, donate to an organization who is close to home that you feel is legit. I’ve seen this person’s personal FB page and from what I’ve seen - whether it’s 501©3 or not she seems to be actively engaged in helping horses…[/QUOTE]

Any org still waiting for 501c3 from 2008 doesn’t have their crap together. I’ve worked with 3 rescues in So Cal that filed and received their status in less than a year PLUS several outside the state as well (it’s federal so location has little to do with it). 2 rescues in particular had submitted applications AFTER AHR indicated they were pending, and have already received their official letter of designation. Maybe their paperwork needs work? I don’t know.

That said, Megan does help horses, there is no question about that. However, scope and quality of the deeds vary on who you ask and what you read.

But every person, IN THE RESCUE biz, in essence affects all. Every horse person should be holding a ‘rescue’ organization to a minimum standard at which the minimum should be at the core a 501c3 and registration with the proper local (state) laws. Then move on to standards of care etc (which are going to vary by opinion) of which you will support/endorse. Does that make sense?

FB posts like anything can be misconstrued, plus we all know how some view it as great trolling sport. Banning people for getting out of line isn’t earth shattering and doesn’t make a page admin or rescue sketchy.

SuperSTB - I am referring to the IRS’s scandal…

501©3 approval can take a while, but…they should be following all the laws for non profits for their state, they should have their bylaws and financial information readily available and they should be very open and transparent. If they don’t…take an extra close look at what they’re doing.

However, since I was one of the moderators for the collie rescue’s facebook page, occasionally a couple posters would feed off of each other and cause a huge mess. When ever I deleted a post, I always messaged the person with my phone number so we could discuss what they thought the problem was. Well, usually, unless they were a complete crank.

There was an incident after I left where a new foster got loose during a transport with a leash and martingale collar attached. The info was posted with the transport person’s phone number and she was getting obscene phone calls and death threats because the dog got loose. I kid you not.

There’s a whole lot more crazy out there than you realize.

The stories I could tell…

The rescue I work with got our 501©3 in less than 90 days this spring. California registration was much faster - less than 30 days.

The OP is correct: Multiple bannings, deletions, if you dare to contradict them or question anything they do, they just ban you. They used to post what they would feed emaciated horses and it was just crazy - tons of grain. Sure, they got fast results but they were also frequently at the vet’s for colics and founder. They perform a valuable service posting pictures at the auctions, but should stick to that as they do not know how to rehab. Stephanie Haney, one of the principals of the organization, has been suspended by USEF: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usef.org%2Fdocuments%2Frules%2FHearingCommittee%2F2011%2FAugustRulings.pdf&ei=s_0LUoeKI_OFyQGVioGwBw&usg=AFQjCNEKSLBp2zuQEEwNWlYgkNk-KafnNQ&sig2=XbBapF1v1G0Aokp1uG9ZAA&bvm=bv.50723672,d.aWc

I agree with you… They should have just stuck with the auction postings.

Rehabbing horse should be left to people with the experience behind them. I tend to think they waste more donations with poor choices in care an unnecessary expenses but alas I’m not there first hand so…

They have placed horses in less than desirable places as well. I can only hope they’ve improved things.

Finally, my last comment on this… There is such a need to help horses in California and GOOD rescues are so overwhelmed. But if people supported them instead of the ones that haven’t quite got their stuff together yet… The impact would be that much greater in helping the horses.

I forgot about Polo Pony Rescue :slight_smile: good stuff there!

From USEF. Really not good.

The Committee Members present received and accepted a plea agreement tendered pursuant to Chapter 6, GR617 in connection with
the Camelot Riding Club May Horse Show held on May 7, 2011, wherein STEPHANIE HANEY of Northridge, CA, violated
Chapter 7, GR702.1d of this Federation in that, she left threatening and inappropriate voicemails and text messages on another
individuals cell phone. For this violation it was determined that pursuant to Chapter 7, GR703.1b and GR703.1f STEPHANIE
HANEY
be found not in good standing, suspended from membership and forbidden from the privilege of taking any part whatsoever
in any Licensed Competition for one month, and is excluded from all competition grounds during Licensed Competitions for that
period: (1) as an exhibitor, participant or spectator; (2) from participating in all Federation affairs and activities, (3) from holding or
exercising office in the Federation or in any Licensed Competition; and (4) from attending, observing or participating in any event,
forum, meeting, program, clinic, task force, or committee of the Federation, sponsored by or conducted by the Federation, or held in
connection with the Federation and any of its activities. The one month suspension shall commence on May 1, 2012 and terminate at
midnight on May 31, 2012. Any horse or horses, completely or in part owned, leased, or of any partnership, corporation or stable of
hers, or shown in her name or for her reputation, (whether such interest was held at the time of the alleged violation or acquired
thereafter), shall also be suspended pursuant to Chapter 7, GR703.1c for the same time period. It was further directed that
STEPHANIE HANEY be fined $2,000 pursuant to Chapter 7, GR703.1j

We removed some OT personal commentary from the thread. Please avoid it going forward.

Thanks ~
Mod 1

I’m so glad that you said this, sooooo true, exactly right.

[QUOTE=SuperSTB;7126334]

Rehabbing horse should be left to people with the experience behind them. I tend to think they waste more donations with poor choices in care an unnecessary expenses but alas I’m not there first hand so…

They have placed horses in less than desirable places as well. I can only hope they’ve improved things.

Finally, my last comment on this… There is such a need to help horses in California and GOOD rescues are so overwhelmed. But if people supported them instead of the ones that haven’t quite got their stuff together yet… The impact would be that much greater in helping the horses.

I forgot about Polo Pony Rescue :slight_smile: good stuff there![/QUOTE]

I absolutely agree that if people would not give donations to those unscrupulous organizations there would be more money that could go to legitimate rescues. Also you won’t become so negative if you don’t get scammed by the crooks.

[QUOTE=SuperSTB;7126334]

I forgot about Polo Pony Rescue :slight_smile: good stuff there![/QUOTE]

Agreed!!!

and as I expected might happen, I’ve too now have been kicked off her fb page.

just ran across this thread and in case anyone else does the same, I wanted to give an answer to the OP. While I can’t speak to their Non-Profit status, many things may contribute to the delay such as BODs, Incorporations LLC issues… etc, I will say that as far as rescuing from auction, my experience is Megan /AHR is legit. I have 40 years as a So Cal H/J trainer and have a thriving barn now in Las Vegas. I saw a TB on her FB wall that I was interested in. Called Megan. She told me she had a buyer lined up for the horse I wanted but had another baby I might be interested in. I said yes and told her what my max bid was. She texted me at 2am when he went through saying we got him - only other bidder was a kill buyer. I paypaled her the $200.00 for him. She had him transported to a gal name April who took beautiful care of him for three days when the hauler - TRW Transport delivered him to my barn. I will add that they did not charge me a dime for his stay at Aprils. TRW hauled him from So Cal to LV on a “Rescue Rate” of $250.00 -normally a $600.00+ with other commercial haulers. He did a straight trip to my place. Another unheard of. What was delivered is a 17.3h 3yo, dark bay, BEAUTIFUL gelding, 9 mover, clean perfect tight legs, in great weight, quiet and calm as a QH. Bred to the hilt. All Hall of Fame horses and Horse of the Year on his papers! He is a trainers DREAM!! And will be a high dollar show hunter. I am so pleased with him, I’m looking at another now, and Megan will be my go-to for TB prospects.

Now not everyone will be this lucky, after all, it IS an auction so a pig in a poke. There’s also horse traders little friend Resurpine. So my fantastic luck may be someone’s nightmare. All I can say is her purshace and representation is legit, and as accurate as it can be buying from an auctions. She also goes above and beyond finding out who they are, even contacting the breeders and getting baby pics to match and identify these TBs. I’m 100% satisfied with my experience with Megan and won’t hesitate to buy through her again. As far as her tax expempt status is, I could care less. That’s between her, God and the IRS. All I care about is the fact she’s pulling good useable horses from sure death, and getting them into good homes. And she’s not buying the 30yo cripple blind POS and wasting thousands of hard gotten dollars on a horse that should be put down, so she can win the “My rescue is the worst condition” award. She wisely pulls horses that can lead long useful lives. Kudoes to her and all those who use common sense and actually HELP save good horses with bad luck, and worse owners!