Unlimited access >

Aussie Saddle girth -- what is the extra tail for?

I did a search but didn’t find an answer.

I’ve just bought an aussie saddle for trail riding, but it did not come with a girth. The saddle has two billets – one under the flap that is sewn to the saddle rigging, like a regular English girth, and one that is part of the overgirth surcingle. I understand that the billets are much broader than a standard English girth, so I have to buy something with wider buckles, but the girths I see on offer have a little narrow “tail” sticking off the top of them. I don’t see anywhere on the saddle itself that’s just begging for that little tail to be buckled onto. Anybody know what it’s for?

Thanks

It took about 4 videos to find it.
the ‘pullup strap’

We call them campdrafting girths, or polocrosse girths. Every stock saddle I’ve ever ridden in has used a ring girth (cinch) and latigos, like a western saddle, but a second or overgirth is required for pony-club, polocrosse, maybe drafting too.

The balance and fit of that saddle looks horrendous, LOL.

Sure does.

My aussie saddle has two billets on each side, not a ring girth, so I guess I don’t need a girth with the tail.

@BrendaJane Thanks much for finding that video!! I had read about using the girth with a “ring girth” but made the mental leap that they were talking about the overgirth (which “rings” the horse). Didn’t realize there was an overgirth design that had a ring on one end. Thanks much!

1 Like

I was just mesmerized by that guy’s Wild World of Disney look and sound
the Srock saddles have some interesting rigging, And I thought Western was bad. I looked at like 4 videos and no two rigged the same way.

(The helper’s costume had me giggle)