Unlimited access >

Average Cost of 2yo warmblood gelding?

Hey all… What is the average cost of a 2 yo warmblood gelding with lots of handling? I have a colt I am selling this coming spring and want to know a ball park for what to ask.
He stands patiently for the farrier and vet, loads like a pro, lunges and KNOWS walk, trot, and whoa. Nice attitude, respectful and can do pretty much anything with him. Will be learning tricks too (more for me ;)… I will be tacking him up next year too. He has decent breeding on both sides: Gervantus II/Rio Negro/ Young Wolfsberg (wodka). Has great movement and talent, and will be very tall 17 HH+
Any idea at all what I could ask for this kind of boy come spring? I have an idea but I would love to hear others thoughts too! :slight_smile:

It depends on his quality. $2k - $35k are the common range I’ve seen on ads.

From my shopping for a young horse, listed at $15k and below was most common. Above that, and the horse is one with much higher expectations or owned by a flashy farm. To go above at 2, I’d want to see stellar inspection scores, show scores, something to indicate someone outside your barn thinks the horse is valuable.

Average cost? There really is no such thing… It is a wide range, as netg has written.

The conformation, breeding, and disposition of your gelding will obviously affect his value. Look at the many adverts, with the understanding that everyone is trying to sell their horse for the utmost price.

“Tricks”, as a selling point? Not so much.

I wouldn’t mention “tricks” unless you are aiming at the sans trainer, or NH, beginner market. Most experienced people will avoid horses who have been taught “tricks”. There can be to much to undo, depending on what they have been taught.:yes:

Honestly, it is unpleasant to have a horse do some bizarre “trick” when you are trying (and expecting) a horse that is well trained in the basics. If you are selling a circus horse then do mention it. :yes:

If you are aiming for the show market, sell him and THEN show the new owner the cute tricks.

Sorry - if you are targeting the circus as a potential home for him - go ahead and teach him all the “tricks” you want but if you are looking for a serious show home for him, that would back me off in droves to know the damned thing knows how to bow or lie down or rear or something stupid like that “on cue”

Dumb idea - IMO - to teach him ANY tricks … :no:

Large range…5 k to 20k on average: more for a few special ones. For me 5k for a 2 yo would be break even and we grow our own hay… So we can do it cheaper than folks buying 2 years worth of hay. And that would not take into account 2 years of labor for maintenance and basic training . That’s just feed, vet and inspection fees. I would be assuming a stud fee on average of 1500, though the stallion I bred my stallions sister to for this year stands for 2500… So adjust up!under 5 k and it must be a fire sale situation where the breeder is losing money.

We have sold yearlings/two year olds from $3,000 to $12,000, but also grow most of our own hay and don’t have to “hire” a trainer.

He is bred jumper or eventer so you will want to market him that way. If you can take him to a local show or two that will help the price and give him some exposure to people for a sale. There is some really good training shows in Alberta. Get some really nice video of him going through a chute to show what people are willing to pay more for - the talent. And get the bar up there if possible so he can really show his jump. Does he move like a Hunter?
Much of the horses worth is his talent and the other part is how well you market him. But you might want to forget the tricks unless it is practical things, like picking up feet on voice command or loading alone.

There is no way to answer your question without seeing the horse and seeing it go.

Self loading, standing tied, good for clippers, good for bath, good for farrier. Good at picking up feet, leading, etc. Those would all be pros. Tricks are a turn-off for me too.

My break-even is probably $6,500 if I didn’t insure the animal. I count feeding and caring for the mare for 11 months in there. Two is tough because they are usually in a weird stage. Pencil out if you are better off selling now (do you pay board?) instead of boarding another six months. It might surprise you. I don’t know that anything great happens at two vs. 1.5–it’s pretty stagnant between the two in my opinion and if board is $300 a month along with incidentals that’s 2k and more time to get injured. If I was keeping one to boost price, I would do it until it was under saddle. YMMV.

Wow, some of you are very lucky to be able to raise them so inexpensively!

Here in FL a quality warmblood youngster with good inspection scores sells for $8-15k (even weanlings).

If someone can point a sub-5k, decent warmblood 2 year old, I will be at your farm with a trailer, lol.

The lunging of a 2 y.o. would turn me completely off as a buyer. I would probably mark him off the list. But, maybe that’s just me – waaay too much risk and can’t figure out the “whys” of that at all!
PennyG

TKR - I had this very same discussion with another seller of a just turned 2 year old, except he was going walk / trot / canter under saddle, loose jumped through the jump chute and I point blank told her she was going to turn off more people by what she had done and what she was showing then if she just left him alone to grow up

Some people just don’t get it. NO ONE is going to want to buy something started that early that isn’t going to last long term … :frowning:

[QUOTE=stoicfish;7890962]
He is bred jumper or eventer so you will want to market him that way. If you can take him to a local show or two that will help the price and give him some exposure to people for a sale. There is some really good training shows in Alberta. Get some really nice video of him going through a chute to show what people are willing to pay more for - the talent. And get the bar up there if possible so he can really show his jump. Does he move like a Hunter?
Much of the horses worth is his talent and the other part is how well you market him. But you might want to forget the tricks unless it is practical things, like picking up feet on voice command or loading alone.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Stoicfish for the advice! Yes he moves much like a hunter, and has a very large stride for both canter and trot and is very well balanced too. Can you list some of the shows that I could take him too? I wont be riding him next year as he is only 2 but if there are some chute jumping practice shows that might be an idea :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=TrotTrotPumpkn;7891135]
There is no way to answer your question without seeing the horse and seeing it go.

Self loading, standing tied, good for clippers, good for bath, good for farrier. Good at picking up feet, leading, etc. Those would all be pros. Tricks are a turn-off for me too.

My break-even is probably $6,500 if I didn’t insure the animal. I count feeding and caring for the mare for 11 months in there. Two is tough because they are usually in a weird stage. Pencil out if you are better off selling now (do you pay board?) instead of boarding another six months. It might surprise you. I don’t know that anything great happens at two vs. 1.5–it’s pretty stagnant between the two in my opinion and if board is $300 a month along with incidentals that’s 2k and more time to get injured. If I was keeping one to boost price, I would do it until it was under saddle. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Hey TrotTrotPumpkn, No I dont pay board at all he lives on my 80 acres with me out in the pasture with self feed and oats almost every night. We also make our own hay. Keeping him until he’s 3 and under saddle has definitely crossed my mind, and might be a better way to go for 1) money and 2) training. That way I get to improve on the little things and begin teaching him the real basics of riding.

[QUOTE=Bailamos;7899705]
Thanks Stoicfish for the advice! Yes he moves much like a hunter, and has a very large stride for both canter and trot and is very well balanced too. Can you list some of the shows that I could take him too? I wont be riding him next year as he is only 2 but if there are some chute jumping practice shows that might be an idea :)[/QUOTE]

http://www.albertahorsetrials.com/starteventing.php They have a very easy level for people that just want to get their horses out there.

Anderson’s has some great entry level classes in Hunters and jumpers. Not bad price either. http://rmsj.ca/

Training shows http://www.albertadressage.com/shows-and-events/shows.html

There are chute jumping sessions around the province, you have to just keep watching for them. PM me and I might be able to give you some names of local people that host them.

Fwiw, if you can hang on for another year and put him under saddle, you tend to get a better return. Selling growing horses is hard as they never look great and more often then not people do not want to deal with them.
If you look at last years Fall Classic sale, a three year old went for 27k to a hunter home. She was well bred and was a tall black mare just under saddle. If you look at the two year old prices, most are under 7k. Many went home. Two year olds are a hard sell. But start getting pictures and good video, it means a lot when trying to sell a horse. And know your market, English riders do not give points for over handling at a young age. They also do not want to see tack or the horse being worked with much. Just basic handling.
Of course at the end of the 3rd year, they want them under saddle and ready to go so… :cool:

keep him, start him, sell him as backed. wont cost you much more, and it will give you a chance to up your price, or get buyers at your price.

[QUOTE=NoDQhere;7890685]
We have sold yearlings/two year olds from $3,000 to $12,000, but also grow most of our own hay and don’t have to “hire” a trainer.[/QUOTE]

I don’t mean this to sound rude at all, but I’m not sure how growing your own hay or training the horse yourself adds value to the horse? Perhaps I’m not understanding your statement.

You don’t price horses based on how much you’ve invested into them, you price them based on what they’re worth to a buyer at that given time.

Training will increase the horse’s value. Training yourself and growing your own hay will leave more money in your pocket, but it will not increase the value of the horse. It will just increase your GP%.

OP, realistically, to get a price, post the pedigree, conformation shots and some videos :slight_smile:

CZF, growing their own hay and being able to train keeps their expenses down — significantly so.

CZF–they are saying their input costs are very low, hence they can sell lower. I assume they are still pricing based on the market.

I would totally wait another year OP and lightly start the horse before selling.