Unlimited access >

Average cost of Prelim/Intermediate Horse

Question for COTH readers. Starting our look for a solid Prelim/Intermediate horse. Nothing over 12/13 yrs old. We are looking for an upper level horse that has been there done that. I have competed upper level in the past, however plan to settle back in at Prelim over the next year.

PM me if you know of any prospects!

I think it really depends on where you are located. In the midwest, I think you are looking at between 25k-40k depending on if the horse places well, is in good health, or if the seller really needs the money. Make sure you try and get a full vet history before wasting your time on travel. Horses at that level and age are sometimes broken down.

It depends, also, on the horse’s potential to move up the levels. If you’re looking for a horse that will solidly get to Advanced, *,**, etc, and currently hacking 3’6"-3’9", you’re probably looking at 30k or higher. ’

Ditto to what PonyGirl15 said in regards to the full vet history.

As with most things, it depends on what you’re looking for specifically and where you are. A prelim horse in the midwest is generally cheaper than a prelim horse in VA. If you want a dressage winner, no soundness issues, and a spotless jumping record who’s easy to ride, you’re talking $40+K in some areas. A safe jumper who isn’t fancy, may have some maintenance issues, owner-off-to-college quick sale, perhaps $25K.

You’re best bet is to network with barns and trainers in your area. Upper level horses tend to get sold by word of mouth, not usually listed on sales sites. The good ones at reasonable prices aren’t available for long, they tend to get snapped up pretty quick before most people even know the horse was For Sale.

If you want something in that age range, I’d say between 30-60K for one that’s been there done that and is sound…not sure about the West coast though.

40K for a Prelim dressage winner who is easy, sound, and ready to move up? Hah. In Area II, we were seeing 40K for Training level horses with potential but not all that. Out here, I’ve regularly seen the Prelim/Int. horse going for 50K plus, particularly if it’s marketed by a bigger name and/or will win on the first day.

That being said, if you can live with one who might have something funky on the xrays (but still does its job, maybe with maintenance), or one that might have great experience but isn’t wonderful on the flat, or is a less than perfect size, you can still find nice Prelim horses for less than 30K. You’ll have to kiss a lot of frogs to get there, but there really are some diamonds to be found if you can look past a few things. In the midwest, I think there are fewer options, but prices are generally cheaper; out west, I suspect prices go back up again but haven’t shopped out there in awhile.

I was thinking $40K for something in the 13 y/o age range, “on its way down” or maxxed out below Advanced. I agree anything under 10-11 y/o, on the way up, will be $50+K.

LA and proven upper level? I will say to expect around $60K+. At least that seems to be the range I hear about from friends in the area.

Given your requested age range, the horse is going up the levels and thus will be more expensive. A horse in your age range coming down will have significant veterinary issues due to excessive wear and tear.

My guess is that if it is less than $40k or so, then there’s something that is NQR, such as poor dressage, lots of rails, or soundness issues. If you are willing to settle for a horse that is going to be out of the ribbons due to dressage or rails, or one that has soundness issues, meaning you may not get that much time, then you might get something less than $40k.

I would be looking abroad. I bought an 11 year old *** horse that was more of a prelim/intermediate mount who scored in the low 40s in dressage at the ** level and is sane, sound and ammy safe for $20k NZ ($17,000 US). He is now a pony club mount. It was going to be $18k to import to NYC, so expect less to LA. So total, it would have been about $35,000. Horses like that are a dime a dozen over there.

Check your pm :slight_smile:

Like most everyone has been saying, it depends. I’m kind of sort of looking for an upper level eventer much like what you’re looking for too. Unfortunately, the majority of Prelim/Intermediate horses who have gone around successfully and are sound don’t run cheap. I’ve seen horses at 40K minimum and 70K maximum. I would recommend finding a horse that you could do a lease to buy option with. Even just a lease. Some people, if it’s really the right person for the horse, are more than happy to let you lease out. Some will let you do payments also if they aren’t for the whole lease thing.

If you look at 14yrs old, the price drops significantly

As FlightCheck says, the prices go down with just a couple more years. For example, here is a 15 year old http://www.westwindequine.com/napa.htm

I think that almost $30,000 is reasonable for a 15 year old horse who has an outstanding record, but seems to be quite high for a horse who has a less than great cross country record, multiple rider falls and eliminations from Novice to Advanced, doesn’t seem to be the most careful showjumper, and has show jumping time penalties at over 20 events. :winkgrin:

Just for reference, there is a horse at my trainer's barn who the owners are contemplating selling due to his young rider graduating college and moving to England. This horse is in the under 10 age group, beautiful mover (though not the easiest ride on the flat), honest honest honest over fences, easy to deal with, and has a wonderfully sweet personality. He has been placed at every Preliminary he's done, was in the top 10 at a CIC* this spring, was in the top 3 at his first two Intermediates, and just placed in the top 10 at his first **. Definite potential to either move up to Advanced or pack someone around the lower levels. The price that has been discussed is in the mid 5 figures.

I know one for 25k that has competed through Training but has the ability to go through Prelim/Intermediate :slight_smile: For one on its way down probably more expensive though!