Back in the saddle after 6 months!

I rode my horse on Sunday, and again, yesterday, after a 6 mo hiatus due to a car accident. Wow, was Tiger (horse) surprised and happy! Me too! As I brought his saddle and pad out, he looked at me with ears so forward I thought they would cramp, and a big smile. His incredulous look got even more sweet when I led him over to our mounting place. Wow, does it ever feel good to be back in the saddle! I’m trying to be smart, just ride for a short time, then increase. Yesterday did some rising trot which kinda hinted at hurting, but nothing lasting. (S1/L5,4 bulging discs) I feel like a kid at xmas only xmas is every day now. Can’t wait for the next ride! For those of you still not riding, it is possible! Take care of yourself and your injury the very best you can, and don’t lose track of your goals!

Excellent! SO glad that you are back in the saddle!!!

Here’s to many more great rides :slight_smile:

Wahoo Wah!

i am soooo happy for you!!!:smiley:

Me too!

Suffered a bad broken leg in a fall on October 4. This past Sunday I got on a sweet draft cross (closer to ground) for my first ride since that fateful day. Thanks to great therapy and a good trauma surgeon, I am making a good recovery. Getting on and off was better than I thought:). But making my leg go back in the right position, getting my heel down and making sure that I am not “leaning” into my good leg is going to take a lot of work. Still, it was SO GOOD just to be back on a horse, even if it was just a ten minute walk. I have a new appreciation for what horses go through coming back from injuries and wish all of us less than perfect physical specimens good luck and godspeed in our recoveries.

Congrats on getting back to riding ~ you should be so relieved happy and proud !!!

Congrats and welcome back in the saddle!! :slight_smile:

Awesome news from both islandrider and cliffy! Slow and steady are where it’s at. And if you’re from the north, then great hacking is just around the corner. Wonderful therapy in every way. CONGRATS!

Great news!!! Thanks for sharing!

Good for you both! I know how good that feels, and there’s more and better in the near future!!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. It means a lot. I am dealing with Osteoporosis now too, but many have dealt with worse.

wow Cliffy,
I’m in a very similar situation! Broke my leg in December (didn’t even fall - it broke while I was ON my horse) and after surgery, tons of physical therapy etc I finally rode my horse last week. I am still on crutches, so it made getting on/up “interesting”, especially since he is 17.2 :slight_smile: I was able to walk, trot and canter - so did FAR more than I thought I would be able to. Such a great feeling to be back in the saddle and also was a good workout for my leg muscles.

I also found out I have Osteoperosis…so am also dealing with that news. :frowning:
But, as you so wisely pointed out - it could be much, much worse. At least I know now and can get on medication and hopefully get my bone density back up.

Good luck to you and congrats on your return to the saddle!

Not to hijack islandrider’s post, but I have been riding for the past month (twice a week, including a few lessons and . . . jumping!) after 8 years off due to numerous (4) back surgeries, fusions and constant chronic pain due to ongoing back problems and fibromyalgia. My surgeon has finally found the right combination of meds and treatments that have allowed me to ride again. I had a brief stint in 2005 where I tried to ride for a few months, but it only made things worse. I’m sure I’m pushing things slightly, but I actually jumped a full course last Friday, and it felt GREAT!

Congratulations to all those who are getting back in the saddle after time off. I definitely feel it the next day, but it is so worth it. Surgeon has confirmed that riding won’t cause any more damage than doing regular daily activities would (providing I stay on the horse and don’t hit the ground). My mare has been kept in constant work while I have been off, but at 19, and having owned her for 12 years, I trust her and feel perfectly safe on her. While all of the trips out to the barn to visit her and watch others ride and show her these past eight years have been wonderful, being able to finally ride her myself has just made the rest of my year.

You must be in utter bliss to be in the saddle again! Congratulations!

3DogNight,
that is awesome!!!
congrats.

[QUOTE=3DogNight;4789119]
Not to hijack islandrider’s post, but I have been riding for the past month (twice a week, including a few lessons and . . . jumping!) after 8 years off due to numerous (4) back surgeries, fusions and constant chronic pain due to ongoing back problems and fibromyalgia. My surgeon has finally found the right combination of meds and treatments that have allowed me to ride again. I had a brief stint in 2005 where I tried to ride for a few months, but it only made things worse. I’m sure I’m pushing things slightly, but I actually jumped a full course last Friday, and it felt GREAT!

Congratulations to all those who are getting back in the saddle after time off. I definitely feel it the next day, but it is so worth it. Surgeon has confirmed that riding won’t cause any more damage than doing regular daily activities would (providing I stay on the horse and don’t hit the ground). My mare has been kept in constant work while I have been off, but at 19, and having owned her for 12 years, I trust her and feel perfectly safe on her. While all of the trips out to the barn to visit her and watch others ride and show her these past eight years have been wonderful, being able to finally ride her myself has just made the rest of my year.[/QUOTE]

I am really happy to read this. A few days after I posted my OP the nerve pain began to creep in again, darn. Looks like there is still a long pricetag to pay after I ride. 3Dog’s post about 8 years really warms my heart. Just yesterday I was pondering how slow this healing is, and wondering how long some people have had to wait. Many, many thanks, 3Dog, for your patience and your post. It sounds like you made lemonade out of the lemons and kept a good attitude. For me, I feel so happy to have my horse and to develop an even deeper relationship with him. The 1st day after months that I approached him with his saddle, he made it so clear to me how happy he was to go out on a ride-now that I am kind of “off” again, he makes it clear to me that he enjoys just hanging out. We are lucky, those of us with long term relationships with our animals, lucky to be nourished by their huge hearts and beautiful spirits, whether we ride or not!

While being able to ride again is wonderful, you are so right about the relationship we have with our animals. Between my dogs and my horse (and of course my DH), I found the strength to push through all of the pain, surgeries, expiremental treatments, side effects from meds, doctors who said I wouldn’t walk, let alone ride, and everything else I’ve been through these past eight years, knowing that on the other side of it all would be a life closer to what I used to have.

While I still deal with chronic pain and fibromyalgia, and definitely have limitations on what I can do, I’m finally able to walk the dogs again, instead of just playing with them in the house. I can go to the barn and get on, instead of just petting and feeding treats. I think the bonding I did with my mare during the past 8 years has made a big difference now that I am riding again. She is a hot TB, and although she is 19, she acts like she did when I brought her home from the track. She has been so gentle and quiet for me, like she knows she has to take it easy for my sake. I’m sure that is anthromorphising a bit, but I believe she knows she is taking care of me now.

Having been through all of this, all I can say is that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel. It may be a month, a year, or more until you reach it, but it is there. I applaud everyone who has to deal with any type of injury, ailment or pain and comes out on the other side. Congratulations to all of us! I’ll never be able to jump 4’ again, but cantering a little 2’ course feels like I just won the Olympics.

Thanks so much to all of you for sharing. After a 20 year absence from riding, I decided that it would be just what I needed to have a reason to “keep movin’” and fight my recent onset of severe arthritis. Even though I just got my new boy at Christmas, I’m convinced he knows he has to take care of me. We’re Happy Hackers, and my dream is to jump a 2 ft course - one day! :lol: In the meantime, I’m enjoying every moment, pain and all. And my mobility has greatly increased since we started, and I’m so much happier! It’s really encouraging to read of others’ success stories. :yes: