Back injuries and effects on riding

I’m so sorry that happened to you, justabay. Seconding what the others have said: horses can be trained to respond to your capabilities — neck-reining, etc. And if sitting your horse’s movement is difficult for you, it may be time to seek out one with a smoother ride.

And here’s a pie in the sky thought: what about sidesaddle? I’ve never tried it myself (though I’ve wanted to!), but I know you give leg aids only with the left, so that might be worth a try?

[QUOTE=Nadia;8765358]
I was advised to go for a neurosurgeon, not an ortho surgeon[/QUOTE]

FWIW, this is a bit of a “religious” discussion… neuro vs ortho. Neurosurgeons think that only they should be touching the nervous system but still have to call in an ortho (typically) for all the “carpentry” work. Ortho’s think they can do both :slight_smile:

I had a substantial fusion, T10-S1. Had an ortho who did only spinal surgery. Results were less than I had hoped but I also think I was not being realistic. I think the ortho did fine and would refer to him without hesitation for at least a consult.

Firstly, thank you all so so much for your kind words and support! It does mean a lot to me as I don’t personally know any riders with back issues like mine, so I often feel very alone.

I’m sorry there are so many of you out there with major back injuries - and bad enough ones to either keep you from riding or changing the course of your riding career/goals :frowning:

I have been asking my doctor for surgery to alleviate the pressure on my nerves - Two of my herniations are actually torn discs and they are bulging out and pressing on the nerves. Recent MRI (within the last 4 months) shows that there has been no improvement and in fact, the bulge is getting bigger. I am not a candidate for a fusion yet - however my doctor thinks injections will help, so I’m going to play the game and hopefully it gets me on the table faster. Although from what I’m seeing, it looks like many of you guys who have had surgery have also had to have additional surgeries later on down the road - or will have to at some point :frowning:

My horse is a sweet boy, and very comfortable to sit…when I can get him over his back - otherwise it’s like sitting on a jackhammer. I can get him there myself, however he is sensitive to the aids and my body, and on my bad days, it’s definitely a struggle. I tend to lock up in the canter transition, which makes him tense and we usually get about 10 horrible canter strides before I can start to move with him and relax. I would LOVE to ride another horse, however most of the ones at my barn are too much horse for me - either in movement or are hot, spooky things and I’m too protective of my back to trust them enough to ride them.

Funny enough, my chiropractor is ALL ABOUT the riding! She has told me to get on the horse no matter what and just walk if I have to, as the motion is great for loosening my back, and the mental side of it is also beneficial in keeping me in a happy place. Finding doctors and PTs in the area that ride will be a little bit difficult though - I’m not from a horsey area to begin with and sadly, most docs are against me riding because of the possibility of a fall. My doc originally wanted me to quit altogether, and I reused. So the ‘compromise’ was to give up jumping so that I was a little less risk for a fall or a hard jerk to my back in the event of a refusal or a bad distance. I miss jumping - every single ride… but I’m thankful I can still ride so I guess I should count my blessings, but some days it’s really hard to, and it’s much easier to get lost in the things I now can’t do.

Sending everyone a huge hug - thanks for reading

I’ve got herniated L3 and L4 disks as well as a herniated C1. When they flare up, they get injected at the pain management center. That allows me to get back immediately to all of my exercising which includes all of my PT work. Icing immediately after work helps immensely.

For riding, I will take one ibuprofen and 1 robaxin (methacarbonal sp?) about 30 minutes before I get on the horse. The ibuprofen deals with inflammation and the robaxin relaxes the muscles.

My back is going to be MRI’d this friday. I just felt it was time and the dr. will be able to compare it to the 3 year old MRI.

Maybe get a second opinion on the injections, they help many but they can also make things worse. My ortho would not recommend for me as he felt they may make things worse.

Life is full of risks and trying to figure out how to mitigate them :frowning: And sometimes, the resulting choice is something we don’t really like.

I miss my girl more than you can imagine and I miss being able to ride :frowning: Contemplating looking for a therapeutic riding center just to actually try and sit on a horse again with people around to help me (since the whole process won’t be easy physically for me). :frowning:

Sometimes riding just isn’t in the cards.

I’d love to ride again; my battered ankle made me decide between riding and walking. It sucks, but that’s life.

My father has one of the world’s worst backs. He’s had surgery several times over the last 50 years, has done chiros, orthos, neuros, pain management, etc. He was a pro trainer in his younger days. I’m sure he would have loved to ride in his 40s or later, and heck would have loved to been capable of long lining a horse when he was 70, but it wasn’t an option.

He found other hobbies. He stayed active, he sailed, he raised kids. Even as kids we knew his back was an issue. Roller coasters, amusement parks, heavy objects we kids picked up instead.

I’m not saying give up give up, but really look at if what you want to do is possible or reasonable. I fight with my foot daily to keep moving. I would love to go for a run or ride regularly. The reality is I’m not physically capable of it. My sister has a dead hand as the result of a stroke; there are things she cannot do. Don’t stop looking for ways to deal with the pain, but be reasonable in your expectations for yourself.

Thanks again everyone

Just wanted to check back in with a little update. I’m going to be trying some spinal decompression over the next few weeks to see if that helps at all.

I have picked up some robaxacet and I’m going to try your little cocktail, FitToBeTied and see how that helps.

Sadly, trainer reports pony has been sore at the canter this week so I’ve got the vet coming out, but until then we are going to give him a couple days off to rest.

I do want to stay in the tack as long as I can - I’m just miserable without my riding so I’m going to make sure I exhaust every avenue before I call it quits.

Thanks for reading, and the input everyone. As always, it’s greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

I have chronic back pain. I don’t think I am sufferring as badly as you though.
I bought shock absorbing stirrup irons. They help a bit.
Right now I am looking into Bua Saddles or the Stubben Zaria. I hear a lot of bulky saddle comments but I think it might be time for a bulky saddle in my life.
I am interested in the carbon fiber tree that has shock absorbing qualities.
Riding has become so painful I have been avoiding it. It’s frustrating but hopefully I will be able to cobble together a solution.
I read here you are getting the best medical care you can. A new saddle might help you get going again

Careful of heavy saddles, though. I like Wintecs because they are light for both the horse and myself. I think this is really important for both parties. I’d never want a heavier saddle again. My broken body seems to best like Winter Pro Dressage best. Don’t get it with CAIR, though, as they are supposed to be more bouncy. I always liked to use a fuzzy seat saver. It adds no weight, is comfortable, cushions your butt/back a bit and prevents cantle dings. (I despise cantle dings.)

I also just discovered a book titled ‘the rider’s pain free back’. I ordered it on Ibooks.

[QUOTE=Hayla;8818491]
I also just discovered a book titled ‘the rider’s pain free back’. I ordered it on Ibooks.[/QUOTE]

Any thoughts on this book?

[QUOTE=JustABay;8778080]
Thanks again everyone

Just wanted to check back in with a little update. I’m going to be trying some spinal decompression over the next few weeks to see if that helps at all.

I have picked up some robaxacet and I’m going to try your little cocktail, FitToBeTied and see how that helps.

Sadly, trainer reports pony has been sore at the canter this week so I’ve got the vet coming out, but until then we are going to give him a couple days off to rest.

I do want to stay in the tack as long as I can - I’m just miserable without my riding so I’m going to make sure I exhaust every avenue before I call it quits.

Thanks for reading, and the input everyone. As always, it’s greatly appreciated :)[/QUOTE]

NO NO NO… Robaxacet contains acetaminophen do not combine it with ibuprofen!!!

FitToBeTied recommended Robaxin (which is plain Methocarbamol) plus ibuprofen.

Mixing ibuprofen and acetaminophen can cause problems!!

This is what comes of getting medical advice on the internet. :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

“Mixing ibuprofen and acetaminophen can cause problems!!”

Such as? I’m not sure the above is correct. It’s fairly commonly done, in certain instances. Most all the search results concur that it is fine.

"Is It Safe to Take Tylenol (Acetaminophen) with Advil or Motrin (Ibuprofen)?

by Dr. Sharon Orrange
on July 21, 2015 at 9:40 am

Yes, you can take them together, and they even work better in combination than separately. Several large studies have shown that ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and acetaminophen (Tylenol) together work well to relieve pain, with few side effects. In fact, for many things like dental pain, they work better than many of the opioid-containing pain meds (like Vicodin or Norco).

Why is the combination safe?
Acetaminophen is cleared by the liver, while ibuprofen is cleared by the kidneys. Each medication works differently and they are broken down differently so there is minimal concern here."

You and me could be spinal bookends : ) I too broke L4- SI after a very short disagreement with a young training horse. I had fusion and bone grafts and healed very well. My left leg has sacral nerve damage effects (my spinal cord was yanked out of its home during the injury) and I walk like I may have spent my day drinking. I know that I will never get to the places I wanted to be for myself in my sport (dressage), but I have many small triumphs every day: I can walk, and get on a horse by myself now; I can sit the working trot, let’s not talk about the medium; and I rode two horses bareback yesterday and it did wonders for my hips and my heart. I’m glad you are continuing to do what you love, and I hope to keep doing the same.