Unlimited access >

Back On Track hock boots- hole or no hole style?

I am a bit puzzled by the fact that Back on Track sells two styles of hock braces, one with a cutout for the hock joint and the other without. For those of you who have used one or the other, what is your experience with their fit? The style without the cutout seems like it might offer more warmth, the style with the cutout seems like it offers more freedom of movement. This is for an elder statesman with fused hocks to wear in his stall this winter, so it’s not like I need the boot to let him gallop around in the field, just move from his hay to his nap corner without wishing I took him to Florida.

Our horse with the hock injury uses a closed hock boot, as per what the surgeon that worked on him recommended.
It goes on when grooming until saddled and ready to go, if he seems a bit sore, it can be left on for a few hours.

Maybe ask your vet, that knows your horse, what would be best?

Thank you! How well is he able to move around in this style- do you have the sense that it restricts him in any way or does he seem comfortable?

He moved around fine, his hock is large, never went all the way down, but is functional.
A friend of ours and cousin to our vet has him now, he is turned out 24/7 and being ridden lightly to move cattle and ride along on the weekends when little grandkids come to ride.
He is not ridden in the hock boot, is mostly used as a warm up and occasionally when kept up in a larger pen when sore, as per vet instructions.

Your horse’s clinical picture may have different needs, see what your vet tells you.

Thank you.

My horse’s clinical picture is that he’s 27 and his hocks fused awhile ago and old age is for the birds. :slight_smile: I wish I could find him something I trusted not to shift in turnout, but for this problem we have polyglycan, Previcox, and Surpass, and I recognize that what I really need to solve this for him is to be able to turn back time.

Not sure hock boots may help much there?
How active is he that you think they may not stay up?
I do agree that any such added on turnout may be more a liability than help, if it slips and gets too tight and no one is there to take it off.

They surely won’t fix his problem at the root, but the old bones ache when it’s cold and damp, and keeping them warm helps his comfort and mobility.

I don’t like turning out with “stuff” on the legs, especially if the horse will be up and down in turnout, so even if I could I wouldn’t! Not safe. But hopefully these boots will be a nice comfortable thing to come inside to.