Unlimited access >

Back on Track Therapeutic saddle pad liner?

Just wondering if anyone has tried a Back on Track Therapeutic Western Saddle Pad Liner or if anyone had opinions on using one?

1 Like

I use them in the fall/winter for all three of my boys and really like them. They keep my pad clean, which is a bonus, but the horses seem to warm/loosen up faster vs not using one.

I am a huge BOT fan.

1 Like

I use one all the time, yes it keeps my pad clean, and I think my PSSM1 horse really liked it. I have never ridden my lease horse without it, and his owner says he likes me, Amber he likes his BOT saddle pad

2 Likes

I like mine. Worth the money.

1 Like

About half the people at my barn use them under their work pads. Definitely helps keep the underside of the pad clean and seems to be comfortable for the horses.

Thank you for all the replies! I’m going to get it!

1 Like

I just picked one up to fiddle around with saddle fit that I don’t love. Didn’t help for that, but I think I’ll just pop it under my english saddle/pad and see what we think.

100000% recommend, especially if you’re riding in cold weather.

I will say, they only come in one size, 31x16 so I had to move it along. Patiently waiting for them to make them in a 32in+. They say the spine measures 31in, but the one I had measured 30 at the bottom.

1 Like

Is the main feature of this pad that it keeps your horse’s back warm? Because I know a lot of folks don’t like pads lined with neoprene because it keeps the horse’s back too warm.

(Keeping your regular saddle pad clean seems like a plus – especially if you can wash the liner frequently.)

It does seem to help them warm up faster and keeps backs looser, but I’ve never found them to get too warm. But I don’t use them if it’s over 70* either.

1 Like

Opposite problem, I don’t like anything longer than 28" for my short backed horse. He is 15.3 hands but wears a 70" blanket!

The smartpak knockoff is 26" https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/smarttherapy-thermobalance-ceramic-western-saddle-pad-22036

1 Like

Wowee, that’s too bad they’re both two short. I would love for her to have one! I just don’t want to create a pressure point on the edge where it the seam is.

Updating the topic! I was thinking to gift my horse with one of this pads. I have a similar device for myself (ceramic) and I find it very helpful with my back aches. I am wondering if it’s better the saddle pad or their pre and post work back warmer, do you have any experienced? TIA!

I have both.
I tend to use the pad more for two reasons-
1- I have a cold backed horse. And she despises the cold so much I broke down and bought a quarter sheet to ride with. She’s not mean or ill tempered, she just dosen’t like being cold. She’s thin skinned and fine coated even in the winter. She was born and raised in this climate outside and continues to hate it.It is not as though I bought a horse from AZ and tried to make her adapt to the climate up here.

2- I do not have a barn/stall setup at home. Horses are turned out on acreage with rocks, brush, dirt tanks, etc. Not ideal for using my sheet and boots other than catching and putting them on before riding for a short time.
I have one in training at a cow horse trainer I’ll take the boots and sheet to him. He can use it on mine if he wishes. Otherwise they sit here.

I’d say it depends on what you’re doing and your horse living situation.

Thank you! The horse living situation is close to yours, he lives outside 24/7 with our mare, they have a run in shelter if they like it. We live in a warm climate (during winter it rarely freezes) but it’s very windy and humid, which he hates.
He’s cold backed too, he’s an appendix so not much hair. He was raised outside too.
I thought the sheet would be useful also after riding, and before/after ground work (which in winter is our main activity due to weather and lack of time) but maybe as you suggest the pad is more practical

I primarily use the liner. In winter I will saddle and then throw the BoT sheet with the neck cover on for 15 - 20 minutes while I finish getting ready. I have one with back and neck issues and this works really well for him.