Unlimited access >

Back Pain and Matresses

I have reoccurring back pain. My matress is old enough I need a new one. I currently have one on trial. While it seams fine, I am not sure if there is something better.

If you got a new matress and it made a difference, how did you know?

To give more details, I don’t wake up with back pain, fall asleep reasonable well, and I am sleeping through the night. The only improvement is that I feel like I am falling asleep quicker.

Thanks for the help!

When we bought new, because of pain (and time to replace), I found that I woke up less in pain during the night, and wasn’t as painful in the morning upon waking.

If you’re not waking in pain during the night, and aren’t in pain in the morning, perhaps your mattress isn’t a factor in your back pain?

Falling asleep quicker is a good sign!

1 Like

TempurPedic… love, love, love mine and helped, for me, with my back pain. Close to 10 years old and still going strong!

2 Likes

I gave up on sleeping on a mattress and I sleep in a recliner. I would love to be able to sleep flat, but I do not want to blow $$ on mattresses.

I have a waterbed (go ahead and make fun of me!! LOL)…but seriously, there are no pressure points and it’s like sleeping on a moist heat pad all night! I’ve have one for about 30 years (okay, more than one!). The current one you wouldn’t even know is a waterbed…looks like a regular mattress. When I stay in a hotel…depending on the bed, I am so uncomfortable/in pain after the second or third night.

My old mattress was old when I inherited it.
When I moved, it had been in use decades and it needed replacing.
I bought a regular one in a furniture store, with a pillow top.
I tell you, that was 16 years ago and is heavenly still after all these years.
Thru surgeries and assorted health problems, that pillow top has been absolutely super for me and my back and assorted other body aches.
I have also converted friends to those, have another one in the guest room and all loved it.

I would suggest anyone needing a new mattress give those a try.
Here you can try them for at least 30 days and return them if they don’t please you.

I also have slept on a waterbed for decades, because of my back. The lack of pressure and the very adjustable temperature keep things feeling good. I fall asleep quickly and deeply and stay asleep until it’s time to get up. My back feels fine when I get up.

If I sleep on a regular mattress my back gradually feels worse. I toss and turn and wake up periodically. I stayed some months at my parent’s house for a family emergency and was ready to burn the guest bed mattress there by the time I left, my back felt so bad.

Best thing I ever did was buy a memory foam matress and put it on a flat board.

1 Like

I recommend a foam mattress, and an adjustable bed. Some nights I sleep flat, some nights I slightly raise knees and head. Often I switch bed position in the middle of the night. I have benefited greatly.

1 Like

Also love mine! Made a world of difference. More expensive but worth every dollar.

1 Like

I used to sleep on a waterbed and got tired of dealing with it (refills to keep it firm enough) and the challenges of putting and keeping sheets on (yes, I used sheets specific for waterbeds :slight_smile: ).

Then I went to a pricy mattress with a pillow top and thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread until the pillow top material started to break down and making a low spot.

My Tempur Pedic is close to 10 years old and I still have no detectable ‘low’ spot where the mattress foam has started to break down.

Many pillow/memory foam toppers have a shorter warranty than the Tempur Pedics do which is part of why I went the Tempur Pedic route.

1 Like

We went Sleep Number Bed by Select Comfort in 1999 and never looked back.

The late Mr. ChocoMare used to be in all kinds of back pain from our old mattress and snored like crazy. Within two nights of the Sleep Number, pain and snoring were gone.

2 Likes

Organic Latex foam mattress, the only bed that my partner can use after 4 back surgeries. We have tried every style before this and nothing helped ,most were causing pain.The organic Latex is heaven just heaven and the best part is if its for two people you can fdo each side differently Expensive but its been 10 yrs now and still perfect, no indentations no slumps just like new so well worth the money.

2 Likes

Me, too on genuine latex. I like firm, but just the right amount. I purchased a latex firm mattress 2 years ago, and still love it. I am a back sleeper most of the time.

1 Like

Have you tried floor sleeping? Prior to buying a traditional shikifuton from Japan I piled up mats and blankets directly on a wood floor with a concrete base. Best most restful sleep ever (until my hot flashes start). Your body is supported by your bones instead of muscles. Even on the nights I get just a few cool hours, it’s still a deep restful sleep.

My best mattress is a 750mg methocarbamol tablet.

1 Like

I’ve had best luck with a basic Sleep Number, because I can adjust the firmness as I need to.

1 Like

Find a store that has Bedmatch. It’s a machine you get on in the store, it measures your pressure points and such, and then it comes up with a list of mattresses at various price points that should work the best for you. I selected my mattress using this and it has been great. What you think you might prefer in terms of firmness, etc, may not be what is actually the most healthy for your back and body.