Back pain eliminated by riding?

I have on again off again back pain. X-rays show that I end up being a little crooked around my hips and need a chiro realignment. I don’t stick with it since the various things chiropractors have tried never had an effect. It gets annoying that they want me to take time out of work for 5 or 10 days to go to their appointments which apparently only happen mid-day and not feel better.

Anyway I would usually avoid riding for the obvious reasons. This past week my back was really hurting but on Saturday the weather was so nice I decided that I was going to ride, pain or no. After our walking warmup I started doing some trot work. About ten minutes in, my back pain was GONE. Totally gone. I rode for about an hour and a half including warmup and cool down, walk/trot(rising and sitting) and some canter.

My back pain stayed away all of Saturday. I rode again Sunday and its still gone.

Coincidence or could it really have helped? If it helped, what could I have done differently? In the past riding didn’t make it worse or better. I do have a new super shock absorbing pad - maybe that’s it?

There IS a reason that Hippotherapy was invented :slight_smile:
The movement of a horse’s body and pelvis can be very Theraputic for some sorts of human back and pelvis issues. It’s not the pad.
If you are riding in balance, without undue muscle tension created by crookedness or riding out of balance, riding could be a great thing to loosen up what is too tight and tighten up what’s too loose!

You probably engaged your core as well which helps support everything.

I would just be super happy regardless, but my experience was the opposite.

My experience is the same as yours. The only time I am never in some degree od hip/back pain is when I am riding.

Well think about it…
Riding utilizes the muscles that strengthen our lower back and abdominal core muscles. We stretch down into our stirrups elongating muscles, stretching muscles that go into our back.
Many movements in back exercises mimic riding, rocking the pelvic region back and forth, squatting, pointing toes up, and sitting erect like we should.
My ortho said to keep riding through the pain because riding is one of the better sports for our backs. That is, unless we fall, get slammed into a wall, dragged down an aisle… :rolleyes:

Well now I feel dumb for skipping riding all those times because I thought I’d make it worse!

Thank you :slight_smile:

I have all sorts of odd things going on with my lower back and riding regularly definitely helps me be more comfortable.

Are you able to exercise outside of riding? It could be the exercise in general that is helping you feel better. After dealing with severe chronic pain, I learned that cardio can release cortisol that reduces pain (provided you don’t aggravate anything). Often an intense spinning class can keep my aches away for a couple of days… and I’m on three meds for it. So its a great compliment to my management.

Riding is about the only time I don’t feel pain. I’ve had back surgery and my doctor told me to stop riding, I told him to either give me a time frame to not ride or I would be on the next day. There was no never allowed.

Horses and humans, we are just good for each other.

I wish this was the case, but riding make my back pain worse.

I had a couple of friends that were much more comfortable while riding and both had chronic back pain.

That said I have cervical spinal stenosis which is not improved by riding, but have marked improvement for severe menstral pain, that is if I can tack up and mount up.

It happens! My doctor thought I was crazy and in no condition to get back into riding with my level of pain and back problems (I actually walked with a cane at times). I thought oh well, if I’m going to be hurting anyway, I may as well ride!

I’ve spent years as one-wrong-move away from putting my back out at any time.
I have yet to be laid-out since I got back in the saddle. Granted, I got an Aussie instead of English for comfort, security and a little deep seat support, but although I can’t say I’m pain FREE, it’s more manageable and my back is noticeably stronger.

[QUOTE=infiniti;7410723]
Are you able to exercise outside of riding? It could be the exercise in general that is helping you feel better. After dealing with severe chronic pain, I learned that cardio can release cortisol that reduces pain (provided you don’t aggravate anything). Often an intense spinning class can keep my aches away for a couple of days… and I’m on three meds for it. So its a great compliment to my management.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do Zumba, ballet and belly dance weekly in addition to riding. None of those makes it better or worse. I usually just ignore the pain.

Funny that you mention cortisol. I actually have an abnormally high cortisol level that I’m in the middle of getting diagnosed. The last lab I took the high range was 19.5 and I was 60 something. I have an appt scheduled for Thursday to have a CT scan of my adrenals (if I have Cushings I am NOT wearing a muzzle).

I have intermittent back pain when I go through spells of “inactivity” (ie, no riding, no running, no fitness). It goes away when I ride entirely. When I run it will feel better but not much.

I honestly think it has to do with some sort of spinal compression - when you are not moving as much I think there is more compression exerted. I am not a vet or a doctor, so I don’t have any correct terms for what I’m feeling - but I know that when I ride, I feel much more limber.

Hopefully, the same is for you.

I have no medical explanation, but I have the same result. In fact, I don’t have back pain as long as I am riding regularly. This winter temps have been horrible, and guess what’s back? I am not horribly sore, but a lot stiffer in lower back. The number of responses indicates there is something to the theory!

My b/o put a friend of hers who was about a week away from delivering her first baby, on one of her therapy horses on a bareback pad. Almost instant relief, in fact she didn’t want to get off. It make sense since your legs are dangling from your hips.

The only time I felt real pain was when I was trying saddles. If the twist was too narrow it was instantly painful. I wound up in a wonderful Albion, which I can ride in (and have) for hours. I added Sprenger 4-way stirrups which took care of my knees. I often wonder how many people who have a lot of pain when riding are in the wrong tack.

Hi DancingArabian! :slight_smile:

As you know, I’m a new rider, but sadly I’m not new to back pain. I’ve had chronic problems off and on for the past 20 years.

Much to my surprise & delight, I find the rocking motion of the horse actually helps relax my muscles and releases the pain. I even took a lesson the day after pulling my back in Jazzercise (don’t ask) and halfway through the lesson the pain was GONE…and it didn’t come back.

I think as long as it’s working for you, then you should keep it up. Back pain doesn’t seem to follow any particular logic and the “shoulds” and “shouldn’ts” vary widely from person to person.

riding develops core strength in the back and abs, which supports the back. Jumping may be a different story…but flatwork is good…

I have two bulging discs in my lower back, for which I’m in physical therapy. When I decided to start riding, I was afraid I was going to have to argue with my physical therapist about it and make all sorts of accommodations (special saddle, no sitting the trot), but no. PT was 100% in favor and thought it was a fabulous idea.

I will say that my back problems are considered to be about 20% from an old injury that happened nearly 20 years ago and 80% damage done by a chiropractor after that injury. I had chiro treatments for years and just kept getting worse. I finally refused to go back, lived with the pain for many years, and only just recently started PT. The PT has done in 3 months so much more good than chiro treatments did in a span of years. If a chiro isn’t helping you, I really can’t recommend physical therapy enough.