Back Pain, How much is "normal" and what helps?

I guess I’ve had back pain for a while now but it didn’t really register as a “problem” because it only showed up after an unusually long day of riding like horse shows, trail rides, or riding multiple horses in a day. I would just take some Advil and lay on a heating pad for a couple of hours and then I was up and running again. I assumed that this is true for most riders, but maybe not?

Recently I injured my QL muscle and aggravated a disk in my lower back and now I’m really struggling; I can only ride for maybe 30 minutes, only 1 horse and mostly only at a walk; if I try to trot, even posting trot for more than a minute I’m in terrible pain and pretty much useless the rest of the day.

I’ve seen ads for seat savers, and wasn’t sure if that would help with this type of injury? Are there other gadgets worth investing in? How about the Back on Track back brace?

I’m already in Physical Therapy, and do all my stretches and rehab exercises regularly. I’m just looking for something to make riding a little more comfortable.

For me, it seems to be pretty normal (pain, that is). I apparently have two bulging discs that are impinging on the nerve roots. I am waiting for a referral for a neurosurgeon. I hope I don’t need surgery but 5 months down the road since the injury and one round of physical therapy already done without much effect, I am getting tired of it. I just started water physical therapy so hoping that can get my muscles more competent without the extra weight on my skeleton. I have been able to exercise pain free in the water. I have had to take two acetaminophen with two ibuprofen 200mg at least twice a day since early November. If I don’t, I hurt.

I haven’t been able to ride for a couple years due to a tailbone issue. I was just going to start riding again after having the TB removed. Now…I will still try but will definitely keep it to a walk but after all the time off, that will be fine for both myself and the horse. We will see how things go. It will definitely be a slow process. I rode a couple weeks ago for about 10 minutes at the walk and my back felt better for about 5 hours. Whohoo! But, I knew better than to even try for a different gait. I am going to invest in a Acavallo seat saver. They have one with a cut-out for the coccyx (or where it used to be:winkgrin:). I was excited when I found that and totally think it worth the $$$.

Good luck.
Susan

1 Like

Well no pain would be the norm but as we age we tend to have some from time to time. If it becomes more often that that we need to do diagnostics to find the cause to see if there is something that needs to be fixed. Generally speaking the best thing you can do is strengthen your core so it stabilizes your back.

2 Likes

I’ve had the most success for body issues with acupuncture and myofascial release. Not necessarily both for all issues, but having tried many things, and not discounting western medicine, those two consistently have yielded best results. I prefer not to take medications long term, so in acute phase, I will take painkillers/anti-inflammatories as needed, but use the two therapies above to return to normal. I’m fortunate to have only had soft tissue issues, though - no spinal problems. But pelvic balancing via myofascial has been a Godsend.

1 Like

“But pelvic balancing via myofascial has been a Godsend”
That sounds interesting. I will research to see if anyone local offers this service. Thanks.

I’ve had riding related back issues since I was 16 years old, and I’m now 70. I refuse to even consider any surgery and have just managed the pain as well as I can. I take ibuprofen or naproxen. I use a McKenzie night roll after exertion; and I do some of the McKenzie exercises. All of that helps enormously. When things are really bad, I take a muscle relaxer before I go to bed so my back muscles don’t start to tighten while I sleep. I also always sleep on a heated mattress pad with the setting about half. My back, which has had a wedge fracture of L3 and has several bulging disks and arthritis, is now quite easy to live with.

The McKenzie method for mechanical treatment of back pain is definitely worth looking into

1 Like

I have 2 herniated discs (L4-5, L5-S1) and coccydynia (jammed tailbone) as well as fibromyalgia. I am best if I do not ride in weather below 40 degrees, maintain a BMI of 20-21 and walk a lot, especially after riding. Message helps a lot too, my masseuse does a lot of passive stretchy.

Absolutely look into The Mckenzie method. His book was a godsend for me. I have a night roll also. I run A LOT, and his methods have kept me pain free. Another COTHer had recommended his book, and I can’t thank her enough. I also have a Back on Track back brace that helps tremendously in the morning with a stiff back. I had a herniated disc, and permanent damage down my left leg, but it causes no problems with what I like to do. Good Luck!

Ice Ice Ice Ice can’t believe no one mentionICE

1 Like

Or electric moist heat heating pad. Amazon has them. I do much better with heat than cold.

Well wishes.

YES!!! I have several ice packs and ice on the way to the barn, as I am tacking up, and right after my ride. It has made an incredible difference! I have a bulging disc that is pinching a nerve and I deal with a weird numbness in my right leg when I ride but if I follow my icing routine I have no pain, just the numbness.