Back pain

Well here we are. One day after Easter and four days after I did something to my back unloading some pelleted bedding. Dr. gave me muscle relaxer but I can’t take this and function. Just to give you an idea, I can’t put on my socks much less lift a leg high enough for mounting my horse.

Yesterday was the low point when my family left for church early and I was left home alone and realized that I couldn’t get on my panty hose. I should have taped that for You Tube - rolling all over the bed upside down trying to get my foot in. I can stand just fine after I get upright but if I’m in the car I can’t get out. Ouch.

Anyone have any experience with a back injury like this? How long does this last. I know I can’t take these meds and work, much less ride. Bummer…

I think you need to see an MD to know exactly what it is you have.

I feel your pain. I hurt my back and am barely getting around. Anti-inflammitories and muscle relaxers are helping a little. I get the most relief lying on my back with pillows under my lower legs elevating them. I’ve gone through this before and you have to baby yourself for a while. Hopefully you will get back to normal in a week or so. If not, you should head back to your doc.

I am paranoid and protective about my spinal cord, and back pain can get me really anxious.

You should start feeling some relief after taking it easy for a few days. If you don’t start to feel better, or if you start to get any numbness or tingling in any part of your lower body, head to the doctor ASAP and ask for a referral to a neurologist. Insist on it if you have to and get in to see the neurologist that day if possible.

It really stinks to be in so much pain that it hurts to move. I feel for you, I really do.
Sheilah

ICE!!! ICE!!! ICE!!!
Ice is your friend too to get rid of the inflammation around the painful area. 20 minutes on, 20 off, repeat x 2. Repeat 3-4 times daily as needed. Take with your pain/anti-inflammatories AND REST

[QUOTE=bird4416;4788042]
I I get the most relief lying on my back with pillows under my lower legs elevating them. [/QUOTE]

A physio told me a good position to relieve your lower back was to lie on the floor and put your lower legs up on a coffee table or chair, which is similar to the above. Another gentle stretching exercise you can do is lie on your back, put your lower legs up at a 90 degree angle (as before), cross them, clasp each knee with a hand and rock back and forth wherever it feels best.

I prefer to get out and do some gentle walking as soon as I can. Getting moving usually helps me. I second the idea of icing your lower back.

Thanks for the suggestions. I took the muscle relaxing meds last night and I was wiped out for about 12 hours. Wow, I don’t think I can take that again. I think I lost 70 IQ points!!! I’m going to ice tonight when I get back. I found a bunch of ice pack thingys at the drug store.

I would cut your muscle relaxer in half–literally cut the pill. I sometimes take half a Flexeril and they are small to begin with. I had back surgery several years ago and have lots of arthritic changes down there, so back pain is my constant companion.

The stretch recommended is a good one, too. Be cautious with stretching. The muscle relaxers are really the best thing to get your on the road to recovery.

If it isn’t better soon, head back to the Dr. You might need an MRI or at least PT to get you back in the game.

How are you feeling today?

Not all muscle relaxers have the same knock-out effect.

I can take Robaxin/methocarbamol and still be fully functional. Skelaxin also did not leave me as sleepy. Flexeril, a 10mg pill will knock me out for 10 hours and leaves me a “I’m sleepy” hangover. 5 mg of Flexeril will leave me functional in the morning.

Tell your doc that you would like to try a couple of different muscle relaxers to find one that does not leave your knocked out for 12 hours. With luck, he/she can get you a sample or two of them so you can find out which one works best.

But, ice is indeed your friend.

Be careful with the NSAIDs, they are rough on the stomach, so make sure to take them with food.

If it does not resolve with a couple of days of ice/rest, you do need to find out if it is more than a muscle pull.

When necessary (and not for about 6 months now, thankfully:D) I always took methocarbamol without any problem. I still have them for “those times” - in my bathroom, in the car, in my tack box, and could pop 2 and go do the barn or ride. I always made sure to ice that evening though. Oh, it was for herniated L4/L5 and L5/S1, but also with much treatment and chiro/physio/rehab.

nurse speaks up!

:rolleyes:Like everyone else said!
AND…Nsaids are the most important thing to take. AND you must take them around the clock for several days in a row to get maximum effect. Make sure you keep your blood levels of nsaid(naproxen, ibuprofen, motrin, aleve and prescription nsaids) high in your bloodstream for them to work best. A lot of folks don’t do that but only take them when the pain comes.

The suggestions for stretching your back when it’s spasming is excellent. Squat down with your knees under your chin and hold or wait till the spasm (pain) eases some. Do it often.
And sitting is the worst thing you can do - only lay down or stand up.

The pain is muscle spasm caused by irritation/inflamation so ice is great as well as the nsaids. So yes muscle relaxers are good but experiment with the dosages and the TIME you take it. You may have to take your Flexeril earlier in the evening if you want it out of your system in the morning BTW. Oh…and coffee really helps!! :winkgrin:
I found a 10mg tablet of Flexeril stays in my system for 10-12 hours (not the 8) so I take it twice a day. The sleepiness goes away before the spasm comes back. Take it only for the night time. I used to take mine as soon as I got home from work for better functioning the next morning. OR…as suggested - get 5 mg dosages from your doc instead or break your 10 mg tab in half. Flexeril is good stuff but it isn’t MEANT to be taken when you’re trying to function but meant to be taken when you are laying low and recovering from an acute back injury. Why are you thinking you can continue riding etc when you have an acute injury!!! REST! Get over it first!!

I am a frequent queen of back pain

I must preface this post by saying my body is strange and reacts differently to pain then the average body. I suffer from nerve problems, so ice on any part of my body is downright hellish. I live for heat!!! Rubianna’s Back On Track saddle pad has spent some time wrapped around me. It really seems to create warmth, which leads to the loosening of muscles and finally some comfort.

I take Flexeril, but never during the day. I am actually allowed to take 3 per day, but I enjoy being awake! Poor Whicker has spoken with me after I’ve taken my evening pills. I fear I have scarred my dear friend for life.

While everyone is pro rest, I have to admit getting my butt in gear…a very slow gear;) helps my muscles release and relax. I am currently dealing with SEVERE lower back pain, but sitting around does not ease the discomfort. I have to be up and moving. Again, my body is different from the average body. My moving is sometimes just a shuffle, but it seems to help…maybe shuffle mode is considered rest!!!

When I was physically able, yoga really helped keep me limber and prevent my back pain. Most recently, I was in pool therapy. The pool therapy truly helped ease my back pain. I could enter the pool as an 8 and be a 5 or 6 by the end of the session. If your back pain continues, look into physical therapy. Sometimes an acute injury can become chronic.

Well, I iced, rested and RODE. I know that sounds crazy but I went from practically frozen to fine in about 8 days. The weird thing is that after I rode I felt fine. Is that nuts? I could hardly get my right leg over the saddle to mount but after 30 minutes in the saddle, voila!!! I was pain free. I just don’t understand how I could hurt so bad and one week later be ok. Well, thanks for all the advice. I’m glad I followed it and rested for a week. That must have been the key.