back rehab-pilates or....

Hi folks, i fractured the transverse processes of L2, 3, and 4 this spring. All healed up and started back to riding-and AGHASTED at how much core tone I lost! I also have a looong history of right S-I issues. I’m looking at getting hard core fit again (no pun intended) and maybe deal with old weaknesses at the same time.

Any thoughts on great ways to go? Anyone tried Betsy Steiners equilates dvd? anything else you recommend short of enrolling in boot camp?

I already do tai chi and another internal art called bagua. I’m looking for something a bit more core strength targeted.

THanks for your suggestions!

You need one visit to rehab professional…

to ID where your weakness patterns are and plan to address them.

IMO, coming back after a multi-level spinal fracture requires a visit or two so problems like you report can be addressed.

Regards,
medical Mike
equestrian medical researcher
www.equicision.com

If you can find a good PT who does stuff in a swimming pool Do It.

You will get stronger than you ever thought possible and PDQ, too.

I fractured L2, 3 and 5 in January. PT didn’t help much but power or “hot” yoga which is frankly horrible and miserable to do during the classes- really difficult, is miraculous and after about 10 classes my core is at least as good as before. That day I’m very sore but the next day my back feels great. I’m just getting back to riding slowly though due to loss of mojo.:slight_smile:

Pilates saved me…two surgeries and better than ever due to pilates.

ruptured disc. back surgery

I do Pilates regularly now, and it has really kept me in good shape

I have to agree with Medical Mike - work with a physical therapist first. Also, if you are going to do pilates, take a couple of individual lessons to make sure you are doing things properly. I know of 2 people who have injured themselves doing pilates (one ruptured her achilles tendon:eek:) so be sure you work with someone who is certified in pilates. Also, if you work individually, they can tailor your exercises to address specific issues you are having. (My daughter frequently complains of neck and shoulder pain because of her job. She says her pilates instructor targets those areas when working with her. DD says the next day she feels better than if she had had a massage.)

[QUOTE=cheval convert;5069522]
I have to agree with Medical Mike - work with a physical therapist first. Also, if you are going to do pilates, take a couple of individual lessons to make sure you are doing things properly. [/QUOTE]

this.

I did Pilates with a PTist - Pilates class for back rehab. good instruction is key to both your safety and gaining maximal benefit.

I would do PT with a therapist.