Unlimited access >

Backyard dressagers, I want to go to a show

Just out of curiosity – what is your problem with the Ranch classes?

1 Like

Eh, I showed in a navy pad to match my jacket last weekend. It did not feel out of place - lots of people had darker pads - navy, gray, black, etc. I will be getting a black sparkly border pad for my big mare to show in next year. Agree though that not too many people are going for the darker breeches options, and I stuck with white myself.

Where what is comfortable for you (and legal) and enjoy!

No problem, they’ve just been aqha-ified, last time I saw one. Less ranch, more pleasure.

Dressage resonates with me in a way anything aqha or stock horse never has, despite that being my introduction to horses.

2 Likes

I think people are still using white breeches and white pads because they already have them. People I have talked with are discussing what to get when it comes time to replace their show clothes. Yes, those who seem to have no budget limit have already bought their aqua jacket or red boots (yes, I have seen both), but most of us in the one or two shows a year crowd have some ideas that we may not have implemented yet. I have a chestnut too and am considering a dark forest green :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:nauseated_face: I signed up. Show is next Sunday. It literally took me all day to sign up because the system seems overly complicated and I needed every membership known to the modern horse world plux proof of vax and on and on… but I did it. Intro A, B, C.

Just now looking at the tests and realize Intro C includes canter circles. Which is fine, his canter is actually quite nice and he’s been getting his leads lately but still, I was thinking w/t only.

I’m going by myself. This is by design. I don’t want anyone to be witness to my embarrassment if we completely crap the bed. But will I forget the tests? Is a week long enough to memorize them?

I’m only doing this because I regret signing up SLIGHTLY less than I will regret not going. And I can always scratch.

6 Likes

Dont try to memorize tests to. the. letter.

Draw them down on paper. Notice the logic and balance.

Up the center turn left, circle in the middle ,down thru the end across the diagonal. Etc

4 Likes

I have another question. The tack steward - if that’s the right name. Do you go to them after you ride a test every time? And if so, what do they do?

This is what I, very much a H/J rider, did for my first Intro tests last month. It was also helpful to remember that the second half of the test is basically a mirror of the first.

1 Like

absolutely I came to dressage years ago and started by thinking the whole tests as just jump patterns. Later you see the logical progression and purpose of the figures. As a rule the tests are mirror image as they want to see the test ( figure) in both directions so that is always a logical helper as well

1 Like

The TD (Technical Delegate) will be waiting for you after each test as you leave the competition ring, to check your tack to be sure it’s legal and fitted legally.

Depending on the level of show, the steward volunteer will likely be outside near “A”. They will inspect and if there is a question, then TD will be contacted. I have never seen a tack inspection at a schooling level show

2 Likes

At a schooling show the TD might do a bit inspection as the rider leaves the warm up ring.

The inspection should take place after the performance. Inspecting before potentially disrupts the horse.

2 Likes

I understand. But I have seen this done consistently at one schooling show series.

ETA: It may have been done to keep rookies from being eliminated before they showed.

1 Like

Agree with PPs that it’s less likely to have a tack inspection at a schooling show. At smaller rated shows the TD has inspected my tack personally. At larger shows, some other ring steward type who calls in the TD if there is an issue. I’ve done that duty before and it’s usually checking whip length and making sure the bit is a legal type and the noseband isn’t cranked crazy tight, and checking for blood on the mouth or from spurs. If you ride more than one test in a short time frame, they often wave you through on the 2nd/3rd ride.

1 Like

If you can go and REALLY pretend you are 10 again and there just for fun…you’ll ride better.

And yes, memorize your test. Because with a test memorized you can get IN THE FLOW and ride!

Really feel every movement and have more fun. And that’s what it’s all about.

My last show…sadly now years ago was a BLAST because I was in the moment and having fun. Knowing that day was a gift and someday it would just be a memory. And here it is…that memory. :grinning:

And when you enter at A - come in as forward as you can! The judge loves that. They sit up in their chair like, “OK, here’s someone that’s gonna have some sparkle!” Be the sparkle! Smile!

Play your ride over and over going SO well and being FUN! It will influence your ride.

Someday when you’re in a rocking chair reflecting back make that day a shiny sparkly memory.

And we look forward to hearing about your day!

9 Likes

Definitely memorize your tests but… the likelihood of you having “show nerves” is probably pretty high I would also have a reader.

1 Like

Yay for you!

No matter what happens your rides will never make the front page of the local paper… most shows we all compete in matter only to the handful of people there, but we get great mileage out of talking about them with our horse buddies forever!

Good for you, please know lots of us in COTH-land are cheering for you, regardless of the outcome!

4 Likes

I hope you have a great time!

Remember, you get to define success, so define it the way you want. For example, instead of defining success as “winning,” which you can’t control because the other competitors get a vote, or “getting through a test without spooking,” which you can’t control because your horse gets a vote, try something centered on you. Like, “breathe, think forward, and stay in the moment.” All of those are things you can directly control. Makes it easier to stay positive no matter what happens in the ring.

For memorization, it really helps to visualize yourself riding each movement. So instead of thinking the words “A down centerline, X halt, salute,” SEE yourself riding down centerline, FEEL your seat aid as you ask for a halt. FEEL your arm lift and your head nod. See the judge’s box, and every detail of the track you want to ride as you make your first turn. Your other senses help you remember the test better than just memorizing words on a page. A reader for backup will make you feel better even if you don’t need them. :slight_smile:

A celebratory beverage is a good plan, too! Enjoy the experience!

4 Likes

I don’t do dressage, but having previously shown up to a very high level in my discipline… I promise you, nobody will care or remember! Have fun!

ETA: I don’t think you’re going to embarrass yourself or crap the bed. And if you do… the above stands!

PS, my most abysmal, embarrassing show was in your fair country… at a facility that many of us believe hosts shows at the pinnacle of our sport. My second year I fell off every day until I scratched. Nobody remembers.

5 Likes