Unlimited access >

Backyard dressagers, I want to go to a show

I would not hesitate. Better to give it a go then to regret and wonder. Now I will admit that I grew up on horseback and have shown a lot over the years; but, like others had to transition from one discipline to another. I was amazed at how less stressful showing dressage was compared to hunter/jumpers and even some of the breed shows (heck just having ride times I found to be a Godsend).

Preparation is key to decreasing anxiety. In addition to memorizing your test(s) and practicing on your horse in whatever fashion you feel will yield the best results, I would make a list of everything you’ll need to take with you and have your trailer/truck packed in advance. I generally keep my trailer packed with my show gear with the exception of saddles and bridles. Schooling shows are usually lower key. If you have questions as to what is ‘legal’ call or email the show secretary if your coach can’t answer your questions. I have found most show secretaries to be very helpful. If you can trailer into the location prior to the show that too might help mitigate ‘risks of the unknown’ for both you and your horse.

I took a hiatus from showing for a few years and then jumped back in and was so happy to meet several very helpful and gracious volunteers. Many people recognized me but there were a lot of new faces too who didn’t hesitate to go out of their way to offer assistance especially when they saw I was showing on my own. So, go and have fun and treat it as a learning experience with the only expectation is to go and ‘survive’. If there is any question about the canter then do the walk trot tests for your first go, you can always move up the second show. Having taken many a baby to their first show and project horses, it is best to give them confidence too by not over facing them. Good luck and have fun!

5 Likes

Intro is one of those tests where it is so mindless amd has long tracks of nothing that a horse can kind of get bored and anticipate…specially intro a - not for a horse that gets the jigs!

I was always taught that horses anticipate and you shouldnt ride the test but my horses that “know the test” seem more comfortable and confident knowing what is coming…until its time to move up and ride a different test and the moment we go right instead of left they tell me it is WRONG :joy:. But after the first time in a new test they get it.

4 Likes

I have a friend in her 30s who wears her Pony Final bows and I am here for it!!

3 Likes

Cow horse! Don’t make it sound worse then it is! :smiley:

Update: I’m still trying to talk myself in to it, but will go to this Sundays show to spectate and then pull up my old lady full seats and sign up for the September show if it doesn’t look like I’ll be out of place.

We’re riding regularly and he’s doing well. His left lead is actually right there these days, but I would still do schooling level intro.

It seems crazy to pay all the memberships for one show but this was supposed to be my big year, my big re-entrance into the schooling show scene. The ice decided I had other plans (head injury) but I can’t bear the thought of yet another winter making plans for “next year” because what if next year doesn’t happen.

When I ride and the contact feels steady and he is rhythmic and even I think, of course we can do this. If he can be rhythmic in my horribly unlevel ring he’d be fine in a groomed arena. And he’s bomb proof, hauls alone no problem…

I’m getting there. Slowly checking off the list so if we do go we’re ready.

Now. He’s a plain old chestnut. I’m probably wearing black breeches because they are magic and I lose 20lbs in them. Tack is all black, save blue brow band (nothing too flashy). Should I splurge on a new deep blue saddle pad or a new black saddle pad. Black with blue piping? :smiley:

3 Likes

Good for you. I think checking things out will help alleviate any anxiety about not fitting in with the rest of the crowd. Honestly your description likely applies to the majority of people who will be there. As for color of horse/rider outfitting, keep in mind that you do NOT need to stand out in the crowd. You will be going down centerline by yourself and show cased as it were. I would recommend choosing your colors to accessorize and complement but not distract from anything or more importantly not emphasize any possible weakness. It sounds like what you want to splurge on would be fine. Black with blue piping might highlight less if you know what I mean.

1 Like

Definitely do not want to stand out :smiley: I just want to splurge on something that looks nice on a chestnut and is very muted.

Is this a schooling show? If it is, and I have gotten that impression, there shouldn’t be memberships required. Certainly not USEF or USDF,

2 Likes

You’re asking the wrong person. I’m in Ontario, so not US. There’s a bronze and silver level. My understanding is bronze is the equivalent of a schooling show. There will still be memberships to buy, but not as many as Silver, which is provincial level (again, if my understanding is correct)

My other option is a saddle club show, but I did that last year and it’s not fun winning the red ribbon in a ring full of kids just because he can w/t/c on the rail.

1 Like

OMG, yes- they do. They so absolutely do - they often need to be told that horses are not machines and will get soured about the repetition. Same thing happens with barrel and pole horses. that’s why he is blathering on LOL.

1 Like

I guess I run in more educated circles. No pun intended.

I get it, where I am a schooling show is 85% Intro A and B seems like, and that one coach who has to be reprimanded at least twice to SHUT UP and STOP COACHING and just call the test.

Everyone was a beginner at some point, and some of us live in backwaters.

4 Likes

LOL! I wish my horse would offer me the changes he is learning this summer…it would make my life a whole lot easier!

1 Like

If you have connection, rhythm, consistency you’ll be well positioned to do well at Intro and Training. The big variable is how the horse reacts to the show venue. If he’s relaxed, participatory, forward you’ll do very well at Intro. He sounds very well equipped to try a show.

And don’t underestimate his chestnut color. Decked out in clean, neat gear and polished up they are striking (I might be prejudiced), but it’s the paints who still get the side eye in the dressage ring (although underserved, ride on your merits).

2 Likes

Bronze, Silver and Gold are all recognized Equine Canada shows. Gold gets you points towards national awards, silver gets you provincial points, bronze does not collect points. But it’s recorded on EC Canada results. I think you might have an option to pay a non member fee to do Bronze.

Where I live we also have several reasonably good quality non recognized dressage show series hosted by various barns. That’s what I consider a schooling show.

But go in what exists in your area and enjoy!

1 Like

Thanks! I’m sure there are actual schooling shows somewhere, but they’d be a drive and I probably missed the window. Dressage seems to be more of a thing in the GTA. There are a couple of bigger dressage barns around here but none hold schooling shows that I’ve been able to dig up. That’s the problem trying to go it alone, the knowledge gaps!

1 Like

Did you ever think about Western Dressage ? (Ducking!). A friend who bought an Oldenburg mare I bred does it. The mare is 23 yrs old and loves it, as it’s way more comfortable for her than regular dressage, and she scores really well. It’s also a very supportive community.
https://westernstyledressage.ca/

1 Like

Not with any seriousness, no. I spent my formative years doing AQHA (not at any high level, but we did go-to some larger summer circuits. Just not my deal anymore. I remember when ranch riding became a thing and it looked so cool. THAT was what I wanted to do. And then it morphed in to the version you see today and no thanks. I could be totally off base, but I feel like it’s a matter of time before western dressage goes the same way if it hasn’t already.

Anyhoo, I went to the show this morning and it was exceedingly obvious to me that as long as he is sound, we’ll be just fine in intro :smiley: I mean, we might not SCORE well, who knows. But we won’t look like out-of place idiots either.

Everyone was still wearing the white breeches and white saddle pads :frowning: I just checked the rule book and variations are allowed, but I guess I’m splurging on a white show pad instead of a nice black one, so I’m not a sore thumb.

Anyway, saw some really lovely riding but I can easily turn around in the parking lot, the footing looked nice enough and it was just busy enough, but not too busy. And I can easily see just riding my ride and no one even noticing if I go alone. Which is ideal. :smiley:

7 Likes

Good for You :wink:

1 Like

Yes! No one watches lower level tests except the judge and your coach. Also the rail birds wouldn’t know what test you were riding unless they have the order of go in their hand and also memorized about a dozen tests. This is different than jumpers or hunters where anyone can glance over and see if there’s calamity brewing. Or a rail class where you get to watch and compare a bunch of similar horses for ten minutes and look for slipups and try to guess the placings.

In dressage you see yet another lone horse trotting a 20 metre circle and unless you have the actual score sheet blank printed out it’s pretty hard to say as a rail bird “that transition is worth 5 points but has a double coefficient so I think she’s getting a 62 overall.”

So it really doesn’t attract an audience, people ride their test and then take their horse back to the barn.

7 Likes

Yes, I’m so glad I went today. I was alone so it was boring after a while but I wish I had stayed for some of the upper level rides.

2 Likes