Unlimited access >

Badminton;

Entries; https://d24vhgczuo2t5j.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Entries_21-03-22.pdf

Website; https://www.badminton-horse.co.uk/

4 Likes

Cannot wait! I’ve got the champagne on ice and the eggs benedict ingredients on standby. I love getting up at 4am to watch live. The start list is epic!

I gotta make it through the stress of Kentucky weekend first, though, and then Badminton is the reward :grin:

3 Likes

Can you imagine being fit enough to ride FIVE horses around Badminton? Yikes.

2 Likes

Who else has subscribed to Badminton TV? I was really happy to find that there are a good number of replays and past coverage available to watch. I would say don’t wait until the event to subscribe. No glitches at all so far either.

1 Like

The course preview looks incredible. I’m so interested to see how this rides.

ETA: The interactive m-app:

4 Likes

I’ll be there Friday and Saturday! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

The draw; https://fb.watch/cvOoTp81ZD/

1 Like

The cross country app walk through with voice notes and video is incredible! What a treat to have Lucinda and Eric course walking!

3 Likes

I could not be more jealous! Have so much fun!

1 Like

I’ll be away from home the weekend of Badminton with limited facilities for watching it :sob: so friend and I are going to have a delayed Badminton party the week after. I’ll be keeping off all social media and news sites!!

1 Like

I believe the limit is 3 horses although they may have reduced that to 2 horses. Top riders will cross-enter their horses at Kentucky, and vice-versa. And if you entered 5, and one gets a stone bruise, you can pick from the remaining four.

2 Likes

Only two horses permitted per rider. Not that many riders have even one available to run at Badminton!

3 Likes

It looks to be a very interesting course. Personally, I like Eric Winter courses because he sets problems that really make the riders think but the horses seem to read well and he rewards positive xc riding. Winter is excellent at using terrain to subtly assist or deflect horse and rider, is precise about where he places decoration or any un-jumpable elements around an obstacle, even how he strings a course is thoughtful (useful tip: if riding a Winter course and puzzled about the best line, check his stringing). I once asked him how long it took him to design a course and he replied “Oh, about ten minutes” and, when I looked surprised, added “What takes time is fine tuning the details and getting everything right”.

4 Likes

I really liked how he discussed not overly relying on skinnies. Yes, there are some, but this course is refreshing in the other elements being used to make a complete test.

3 Likes

It’s my dream to one day see it in person! International folk who have spectated–what is the best way to get there airport/rail-wise, and any decent inexpensive places to stay (for those who can’t camp)?

1 Like

The website has detailed info on transport. There’s no easy way from the London airports.

If you’re planning to go, find lodging ASAP (up to a year in advance). Though I know someone who found a B&B about a month ago, so it’s not impossible.

Stonehenge isn’t overly far, if you’re making the trip you might as well catch a few other sights while there.

2 Likes

Oh yes, this wouldn’t be for this year! Ah, thank you for the Stonehenge reference. I have lived in the UK, but never went to Stonehenge because it is so far from civilization!

Accommodation needs to be sorted well in advance as it is limited locally. Then transportation needs to be worked out as the site isn’t near public transport. However, it is about 15 miles to Bath or Bristol which both have rail stations and the distance is do-able by taxi and arrange a return pick up. It is about 100 miles from London so a day out is perfectly possible. If you want to do the full five days there is a glamping option.

1 Like

One flight option to consider is flying to Amsterdam and then taking a short flight to Cardiff. Cardiff is a small airport an hour from Badminton. You might be able to do the same with Bristol. It’s probably closer, I just don’t know that option as well. I did the Cardiff option several times when I lived there.

2 Likes

Does anyone know who is commentating the dressage? Most years I cringe at the shite that is spoken :neutral_face:

1 Like