Unlimited access >

Balimo/ Wave/ Anywhere Saddle - Best Office Chair for Riders

Looking for a chair/ stool/ device that is better for my back, core, and riding than my current desk chair. The desk chair is comfy enough no complaints really, but it certainly doesn’t encourage good posture and with pre-existing back issues I find I am in a ton of pain when working a lot of OT (50-60 hours at the desk per week) during DEC/ Jan busy season.

The Balimo/ Wave looks the most intriguing and beneficial for my riding but I worry about being able to sit on it for any length of time as there is no? limited? Padding in the seat.

The Anywhere Saddle seems to combine the Balimo tilting concept with a saddle shape as an added bonus. I don’t love that it isn’t an actual chair/ stool itself and has to be placed on an existing seat to be used as I can’t see myself being able to use it with my current desk chair without fiddling with the adjustments on the chair every time I put it on/ take it off.

I was also looking at the balance ball chair with rolling feet and a back support which I think I would be able to use almost all, if not all, day. Not sure how beneficial it would be for my core/ back though.

Any advice or experiences???

I used to have a ball on wheels, the kind with no back. While it’s certainly possible to slouch on, I did find it strengthened my core and improved my posture. I haven’t tried any of the more expensive equestrian-marketed chairs.

However, I suggest slowly increasing the time you use it. Don’t just go straight to 8+ hours a day without taking breaks. Also, it is easy to fall off or have the thing roll out from under you when you go to sit, so be aware.

1 Like

I’ve had a Balimo chair at my office for several years. It’s not very padded, but I found I would get more tired in my core from using it before the lack of padding started to be an issue. I could use it for several hours a day, but it was best interspersed with standing and sitting in a regular office chair that didn’t encourage slouching. Speaking in the past-tense because I’ve been working at a standing height desk at home since Covid so have not been using the Balimo stool

1 Like

My friend with back issues rigged up a cheap saddle with a broken tree as an office chair.

2 Likes

@Scribbler Do you know how? I think that could be helpful and cheap and I’d be able to “customize” it a bit. I already have a cheap saddle that could do the trick, just not sure how to make it stable enough.

@outerbanks77 How is your standing desk set up? I am going to ask tomorrow if work will by one - when we got sent to WFH they didn’t initially supply us with anything other than computers and printers, no desks or chairs, but that is changing due to the length of time we’ve been home. I know in the office people had the VariDesks so I think they should be on board with it. Do you find it tedious to switch between standing and sitting? I’m worried I will find it “too much work” (I know, I know) or get too into work focus wise and forget to switch to standing. I’m currently eyeing one of the electric L shaped frames on Amazon (due to the nature of my work and L shaped desk is a must).

At my office I had a Vari-Desk that sat on top of a conventional modular cubicle desk. At home, I work at the wet bar in our basement, and I built a simple riser for my monitors that adds about 6" of additional height. I don’t find it tedious to switch between sitting and standing. I would usually just switch after getting up or leaving my cubicle for another reason. At home I have a bar stool with a back and I keep it nearby, so I try to stand for a few hours in the morning and throughout the day depending on what I’m doing.

This is similar to the Vari-Desk I had. I liked it a lot. https://www.vari.com/sit-stand-converter-varidesk-pro-plus-36/DC-PP36.html?dwvar_DC-PP36_color=black&utm_campaignid=1470233412&utm_kxconfid=u66h0ht52&gclid=Cj0KCQiA47GNBhDrARIsAKfZ2rAdAmmmDtY0r1gt2HywNSF3XcRZZYsePS_2VGzObO5QsNTly9yxA7YaAqIyEALw_wcB

I tried the balance ball with the sort of frames on wheels and it killed my back. I think that the benefit of the ball is the lack of stability, and with the frame it was semi-stable which made it not work right.

This is the one I used at my last job, with a comfort cushion.

https://qor360.com/shop/the-newton/

Working from home now, my work desk is raised so that chair, which I love, doesn’t work. I have a tall chair; the proportions of the desk are not right to make it a standing desk, but I am trying to figure out a work-around, because I like standing while I work.

I have an adjustable desk at the office; I go in once a week and use it in the standing position for at least half the day. I do have to put my monitor and laptop on risers, though.

4 Likes

I have weak core muscles and it has caused me lower back and hip pain over the years. I bought this chair a couple of months ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DUYIOFU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 Within about two days of use, my back felt noticeably better. I sit on it often during the day, though not for hours at a time, and I love the difference it has made in my comfort, and I can actually see how the muscles around my middle have firmed up. I also went with the cheaper “new but damaged packaging” option and got it for half price. (Yep, I’m cheap.)

2 Likes

I have a standing desk from the Standing Desk company - $150. Best money spent. Also have a Herman Miller chair. I sit and stand all day long. Highly recommend both. I also stand on a anti fatigue mat while standing.

1 Like

@quietann I was looking at the Ariel from them! Can I ask why you went with the Newton over the Ariel? Does the seat tilt side to side? It looks like it only goes front to back, though they mention 360 tilt.

Also as an aside - I broke down and ran out and bought a regular stability ball (not the chair) this weekend as my back was killing me after working almost 16 hours straight on Friday. Let me just say, I love this thing already. I used it Sunday, along with doing a 20 min yoga video for back pain, and went from hobbling around at a 7/8 of 10 to a 3/4 to nothing but tightness/ stiffness today after stretching on it a few times throughout the day yesterday. Nothing fancy but it seems to be incredibly helpful to me in loosening up my chronically tight back (PTs, chiros, MTs, and Drs have all commented on how tight it is all the time) thus reducing pain. I’m excited to figure out a desk set up that works better for me and hopefully be able to mostly forget about this back pain business.

1 Like

Where did you find your balimo stool?

I don’t know where they’re available in the US any more. I’ve probably had mine for 5-7 years, but I think the US seller it came from has closed down.

1 Like

This is where you can find the new version of the Balimo (known as the Wave, made in Canada). http://www.barnmice.com/video/the-wave-intro-video-2020 Joan is terrific. I bought two!

3 Likes

Thanks Wicky! How are you enjoying your Wave? It might be easier for folks to find the Wave on the website www.theridersedge.ca

Hi endlessclimb: We can set you up with a Wave stool. Check them out at www.theridersedge.ca Joan Adler

Hi Kaya842:
Sitting for that amount of time per week? I don’t think it will matter what you are sitting on, your back will probably be yacking or screaming at you. It’s difficult to do, but you need to stand up and walk around for a few minutes at least a couple of times per hour.
That being said, we manufacture the Wave as a seat trainer for riders. Therefore, they really are not meant to be ‘cushy’ - more like we want you to be able to feel your seat bones like you would when riding in your sadde. We do use a high grade marine foam and vinyl for comfort and durability. However, as with the Balimo stool, you will want to build up gradually to the amount of time you spend sitting on the Wave if you’re not used to it. It has a tendency to ‘wake up’ muscles you may not be aware are there - causing you to feel like you’ve had a bit of a workout.
I’d invite you to visit our website www.theridersedge.ca for further info and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to write to me. Cheers, Joan Adler