Unlimited access >

Barefoot in the Park

There has been a question bouncing around my head of late and I am uncertain in my future path. Knowing the large base of experience and diversity in this forum I will air my thoughts and pose my question.

Ever since I’ve had Sterling, it’s close to 5 years now, we had ridden barefoot. He has great hooves; I have a fantastic farrier who does beautiful work keeping Sterling hoof healthy, well balanced, and trimmed. Other than the occasional gravel grumbles we have been fine riding without shoes. We schooled training jumps, done all our shows through Novice barefoot and have felt we could compete at training barefoot as well (I’ve seen others do this).

So why the question or request for thoughts. Every now and then I get comments from my dressage trainer that having shoes would make him…fancier…at dressage and that it would help in his forwardness. Right now I am stuck in dressage. My trainers want to see more energy and roundness and it seems I can get either roundness or forward energy, not both (sigh). I was happier where we were, but I also understand why we need to advanced in our frame.

I feel that it is me and I am trying to address that, but would shoes help his movement thus help being more forward (and round) with contact? Only once have we ever slipped on course and even in the worst mud/footing conditions at Chat Hills last years he made it work well. How important are shoes in riding BN/N/T? The base question is, should I shoe or not*. How important are they when your farrier says that they are not needed for any hoof issues. This is a big jump in expenses and I just don’t want to do it because its the thing to do, I will do it knowing that I am helping him be better and thus I can learn to be a better rider.

• Sterling is @ 14 yo gelding, we think an Andalusian Warmblood (spitting image of a Lippazaner) or may have Connemara in him. He’s my International Horse of Mystery. Trained to 2nd Dressage before I took him over to the dark side he seems to have embraced jumping whilst spitting on his dressage roots.

The pictures are unavailable.

I’m sure people who are way more knowledgeable will chime in… but last month I put hind shoes on my horse for the first time ever. His feet were not uncomfortable and he probably would have been fine without, but it actually has made a big difference in our dressage.

I had a horse going straight dressage. I was working with a VBNT, and the only comment I ever got about my barefoot beast was “Lucky You”.

I also have memories of a well placing horse who was barefoot eventing at Prelim.

And didn’t Steffen Peters have a go at competing barefoot?

I am not a “barefoot forever person”. My other horses wore shoes if necessary.:slight_smile:

You could always try shoes for one cycle and see if there is a difference.

Just put shoes on my young driving pony. He was a very nice mover before, but the shoes seem to make quite a difference. It’s not a set in stone thing, you can always try as set of shoes and if there is no difference, then pull them.

Often it can really improve their movement. Most of my young horses start out barefoot behind, some need shoes sooner than others. But for me, I’ve almost always seen an improvement in their willingness to engage and to go forward once we put hind shoes on.

You can always try and if it doesn’t make much of a difference, go back to barefoot.

[QUOTE=pegasusmom;7799211]
Just put shoes on my young driving pony. He was a very nice mover before, but the shoes seem to make quite a difference. It’s not a set in stone thing, you can always try as set of shoes and if there is no difference, then pull them.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bornfreenowexpensive;7799290]Often it can really improve their movement. Most of my young horses start out barefoot behind, some need shoes sooner than others. But for me, I’ve almost always seen an improvement in their willingness to engage and to go forward once we put hind shoes on.

You can always try and if it doesn’t make much of a difference, go back to barefoot.[/QUOTE]

I rode a young mare who was barefoot behind and seemed to be very comfortable. The owner of the horse put shoes on behind and her movement improved.
Totally agree with PM and BFNE, try shoes and if no improvement, return to bare feet.

Agree with the others, one trial cycle of shoeing should not negatively affect his ability to go barefoot if it doesn’t make any improvement. I wouldn’t get any more creative than perhaps plain steel keg shoes with quarter clips, or eventers if you really think that itty bit of quicker breakover is going to help. My farrier and I have had endless discussion on shoe types, but my horse has some pre-existing issues that are starting to cause trouble and not every shoe comes in “gigantic” size.

It’s entirely possible that he may be (sound, but) protecting his bare feet and moving more conservatively to do so. BUT, bear in mind that shoeing will also open you up to the use of studs and the pros and cons of such in all phases. Shoes tend to be slightly more slippy in wet conditions and so you may end up needing to stud in conditions when you would otherwise be fine barefoot. Do you know if he has ever worn shoes, prior to your ownership?

I only put shoes on when the trainers I want to work with insist on it. I like to keep my homebreds barefoot until 6 or 7, when they start competing more seriously with riders who are better than me. If it’s up to me, barefoot is fine if the horse stays sound and balanced.

One question for you: when your horse was doing 2nd level, was he barefoot or shod?

I think your dressage issues will come around with consistent work and focus. There is no substitute for correct riding, and it can be very frustrating when you hit those plateaus. Maybe you could try to make some short-term changes in how you’re working – like not riding in a dressage saddle, and incorporating some low jumping exercises into your ‘dressage’. This should make you and your horse more naturally forward (and you say he’s fine jumping barefoot) and less stuck in the ‘dressage’ mentality. I’ve done this with my horses who don’t like dressage (basically, that would be almost all of them) quite successfully.

You could also do your dressage work outside of a groomed ring, like on a grass field, where the footing is good but not entirely uniform. The field setting will get the horse more forward, and the changes in terrain (minor and considerable) will help develop better balance in you and your horse.

:slight_smile:

I’m a “what is best for the individual horse” person. I also agree – why not try it? Shoes are hardly permanent, you can always go back to the status quo. If he has good feet, he has good feet!

I’ve done a lot of homework on the topic & learned a LOT from my two horses who have VERY different feet. Both ended up in four shoes when in full work at N/T – one because his genetics just don’t allow him to grow a concave sole to save his life & I also needed to stud him behind, the other, well, I also need to stud him behind & he also has a few “shoe tweaks” that help him move more correctly (he’s base-narrow behind).

But both also did almost immediately step out with a longer stride (we do very little work in groomed arenas on purpose) & in the Carolina piedmont where we grow rocks as a crop, it was also a tool that allowed me to remove a big portion of stress given the wide variety of terrain we cover.

Other horses, other situations, other physiogeography, might be completely different answer!

I would listen to your farrier and not your trainer.

If he is sore in his feet in any way it could be affecting his movement and shoes would help. However, your farrier would still be the person to speak with. He can watch your horse move, feel his soles for soreness, and judge the wear and tear on his feet. He may want shoes on if you start doing more push work behind or you might be fine.

My farrier helped me through shoeing my last horse all around and keeping my current horse barefoot.

To all, thank you. I appreciate all the input and and it has really helped. Specifically, JER, I do like your suggestion and funny the timing for just tonight I had decided to set my dressage practice in the grass and leave my arena set up for jumping for now, but the idea of doing even a little 3D sounds like it would provide that forward feeling before we go to work. I believe he was shod when ridden regular as a dressage horse, but when I got him he had been mostly pasteurized for a year plus without shoes so I cannot say his previous condition.

I do feel y’all have given a good viewpoint of trying and seeing how it goes. I’m a worrying parent with my guy so I don’t just like to experiment without knowing, but I think this would not be a big adjustment. Our last official show is Jumping Branch (Novice) in Nov and I may do a trial run after that since we have no pressures till the spring. That also gives me time to try the alternate footing.

Were I to do this I feel I’ll coordinate with my “team” so we can see any changes if they occur. It also sounds like just hinds need be done as a trial (?) which helps the pocket. This is why I so love this sport, the people, diverse as we all are, can provide such support and input. I’m still happy to read more thoughts and I thank all for responding.

[QUOTE=JP60;7800083]
he had been mostly pasteurized for a year [/QUOTE]

Well at least he is safe to drink! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

And clearly he’s not homogenized so the cream will rise!

If you have a vet, or chiro or someone who has really good eyes, ask them to watch your horse move and opine on the need for shoes (only if they’re out for something else, of course). As horses age, they may need more/ different support. And he may be doing everything he can already. Look forward to reading of your progress.

[QUOTE=wildlifer;7800943]
Well at least he is safe to drink! ;P[/QUOTE]
When a friend of mine compared him to a cool glass to drink, I didn’t think Milk. :lol:

I so loved the laugh you gave me for I never even saw that coming (and me, a wordsmith). I’m going to remember that for a while when I need a smile :smiley:

Steffen and Sharon Peters have 95% of their horses barefoot. So if shoes improved movement, I wouldn’t think they’d have gone that route. My upper level dressage horse is barefoot and we are starting to event. I believe it’s the O’Connors or maybe William Fox-Pitt who let their horses stay barefoot as long as possible…maybe even Prelim?

My trainer has a barn full of GP horses. He is also a master farrier and they are all barefoot. One has front shoes because he has some hoof condition that his feet chip/fall apart/get sore without them. As others said, you can always try it, but shoes tend to cause more problems than they solve:

1. Thrush
  2. Reduced circulation
  3. Need for boots to prevent knocks
  4. More expense
  5. Slippery on concrete, grass, snow, mud…
  6. A lost/pulled shoe means you can’t ride until it’s replaced

I would not find these worth the change. Plus, unless you are showing at the BIG events and trying to get national attention, I doubt the improvement in movement (if there is any) is worth the negatives listed.

[QUOTE=JP60;7801139]
When a friend of mine compared him to a cool glass to drink, I didn’t think Milk. :lol:

I so loved the laugh you gave me for I never even saw that coming (and me, a wordsmith). I’m going to remember that for a while when I need a smile :D[/QUOTE]

In this context I think pastured,would have avoided a trip up the Milky Way. :smiley: