Unlimited access >

Barefoot or Black Forest saddles w/adjustable seat

I’m casually looking for a decent “guest” saddle for low key trail rides. For various reasons, I’d strongly prefer treeless. I have and love a Bob Marshall, but am looking for something at a lower price point.

I’m intrigued by the Barefoot & Black Forest adjustable seat and the idea of being able to change sizing for different riders. For those of you who have them, how easy is the seat to adjust? Do you like the saddle overall? How well do they fit on “crazy-wide” backs with almost no withers?

I’m particularly interested in the synthetic version, both for the lower price and no maintenance.

Thanks for your input!

Ghost saddles have seat reducers and they make a synthetic version. They are an interesting option because those saddles are 1) not too expensive and 2) have gullets built into them so they are a bit easier on the horse’s spine. I think the quality of the leather on the saddles is pretty good and they are comfortable. You can adjust the width of the gullet so it should work on a variety of horses.

I owned a Barefoot saddle many years ago but found it didn’t have enough structure for me (no twist). However, I haven’t seen one in a long time so my info is quite dated.

The saddle with the most flexible seat options is the Freeform as you literally velcro the seat onto the base. However, these are pricey saddles (italian leather) and there’s a lot of bulk to them so they might be too much on a really wide horse. I had one for my OTTB, but he’s more of an A frame.

Currently I own a Sensation. They also have bolsters to adjust the seat size. For my draft x, I like this saddle a lot. It’s more of a close contact feel and quite stable. Pricewise it’s probably too close to the Bob Marshall, but there are some deals if you find them used.

Thanks@Bogie. I’ve had a Freeform and knew about those changeable seats, but didn’t realize the seat bolster was an option on some of the others you mentioned.

I’ll take a look…

I’ve had both and they are very similar. Black Forest’s customer service is, IMHO, atrocious though and I’d never buy from them again. One thing to think about - how balanced are your guest riders? If they’re newbies or not regular riders, you may want to re-think the treeless. Treeless + balanced rider usually = awesome. Treeless + unbalanced rider= not so good for horse or rider

1 Like

I’d vote for a ghost. I’ve tried multiple treeless and I can’t stand the lack of twist. I would either not ride or bring my own saddle. Or even ride bareback. My hips just can’t stand the lack of twist. Being a short rider, with small hips on a roley poley horse does not help.

Thanks all! I happened to see a Freeform western on eBay for less than a new synthetic so I pulled the trigger. Will let you know how it works out…

1 Like