Barisone Aftermath: Not Guilty By Reason of Insanity, And Then

My understanding, and this may be archaic, is that '“shall” means “might” (i.e., maybe, perhaps) and “will” means, well, “will.”

3 Likes

and yet here you are bigMama1.

I totally agree with you CanteringCarrot… but probably not for the same reasons.

In legal terms, “shall” is a command. “Will” is an anticipation of future acts.

18 Likes

My test for my job was full of memorizing shalls musts and cans

7 Likes

1 Like

Love it. Makes me think of riding with Lendon Gray.

2 Likes

The vacuuming exam sounds very difficult.

18 Likes

Some compare it to the Bar but case law and written section is excluded.

I googled a similar test prep quizzes to give a gist of the type of questions we are tested on. This seems to be part of one chapter in one section of law regarding child abuse or neglect. I studied 18 months for my test and for the last 6 months 5 or 6 hours a day.

There are 150 such questions in all areas of law.

https://www.brainscape.com/flashcards/fca-article-10-6327450/packs/9695316

6 Likes

LOL. I said Americans don’t use “shall” unless they want to “affect Britishness”.

Have you used it even once in any of your thousands of posts on COTH?

Do you understand the distinction between “will” and “shall”? FitzE claims she does, but I don’t believe her.

I suspect the distinction is archaic, even among the Brits. Perhaps DreadPirateRoberts knows it. He’s one articulate pirate, for sure.

I have no idea why you keep challenging me when all you do is lose again and again and again.

If I make a statement, it’s TRUE.

Unlike you and your friends.

14 Likes

I think you might be on the right track that it has to do with intention vs commitment. .

But McArthur said, famously, “I shall return”. I think it was supposed to be more forceful that “I might return”. Of course McArthur was American, so what would he know?

Is it possible that it’s the other way around, that “shall” means “this is gonna happen” and “will” means “it is my intent or will” but not an absolute commitment?

You did use “shall”, KM! In that context, I’m classifying it as “affecting Britishness”.

You would again be wrong. I was just speaking/writing and was not not affecting Britishness at all. I would NEVER affect Britishness. I’m a YANK.

In the Revolution, I’d be Sybil Ludington.

14 Likes

I’m guessing it’s state specific so I do not know.

1 Like

“Affecting Britishness”

What the actual…

21 Likes

I’m going to take a wild guess based off of FitzE’s profession that she does know the difference and can effectively use “shall” and “will” but by all means, assume away.

21 Likes

Please see this link for an explanation of the grammatical use of shall and will: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/grammar/british-grammar/future-will-and-shall

This is not to suggest that FritzE’s explanation is incorrect. There are many words that we commonly use that, when used in contracts and other legal documents, have a different meaning. Will and shall are very good examples of that.

I find it very sad when people infer that someone with a comprehensive vocabulary or good grasp of grammar are being affected.

10 Likes

I.e thou SHALL not LIE. I Will try my best.

6 Likes

Thank you!

Apparently, one can use either “will” or “shall” in conjunction with “I” or “we”, with “shall” being more formal.

On the other hand, one uses just “will” in conjunction with “they/he/she”.

Is that all? I thought there was something much more complicated than that. That also explains McArthur’s “I shall return”; he was simply being formal.

So KM is just using the formal version when she writes “Shall I,…”.

I think in American usage, “shall” is not just formal, but, well, archaic. I do not hear Americans of my generation saying, “Shall I, …,”, and I suspect KM is a good generation older than I.