Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

And, walks are still a permitted activity. Especially LONG walks. In case you’re feeling TESTY or anything.

3 Likes

Say what?

13 Likes

Which is likely the problem with the lounge as well

5 Likes

I agree. It was built as a lounge. Some place for people to hang out. I am guessing it meets all the requirements for a lounge. Not built as a sleeping space.

10 Likes

It is like living in an office. It may be large, comfy, have access to a kitchen and bathroom - possibly a shower. But you are NOT supposed to habitually sleep there.

We fired someone for doing exactly this several years ago. go share an apartment with someone else. Do not make an office your home. ”‹”‹”‹”‹It was a particularly stupid thing to do as the office was shared with five others AND this person was particularly unpleasant.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if this will post with all the links, but here is the news info on the incident that I have copied/pasted
8/9

https://www.njherald.com/news/201908…alley-shooting

8/10

according to a police source, Barisone was reportedly in the process of evicting Kanarek and her fiancé from a farmhouse they were renting on Barisone’s 53-acre property.
“I don’t know what caused [Barisone] to go off that day — I think he just had enough,” a police source told the Post. “He wanted them out of there.”

The source indicated that Kanarek had made several complaints about coding violations at the farmhouse.
Five days prior to the shooting, Kanarek posted on Facebook that she recently tried to report a “well-known dressage trainer” to the U.S. Center for SafeSport. On the Facebook post, which has since been deleted, Kanarek said she was afraid and was being bullied.
“I’m being bulled by a 6’3 man. Bullied to the point I’m afraid. It’s very complicated — I’m not sure of what I can say here — but it seems as if Safe Sport was created for exactly this reason.”
Kanarek also spoke of getting “whacked” and thoughts of getting a gun for self-defense purposes. She reportedly said she was afraid to move from the farm because she feared her horses would get hurt.
“Harm will come to me before I ever let harm come to them,” she wrote.

https://www.crimeonline.com/2019/08/…pian-shot-her/

8/11
Can not seem to copy this
https://www.yourtango.com/2019327017…ssage-facility

8/12
An officer who arrived at the residence heard a man call for help, according to court documents. The man, who is the fiancé of the victim and identified as R.G. in court documents, was lying on top of Barisone nearby. Kanarek was on the pavement, bleeding from multiple shots to the chest, according to documents.
A 9mm Ruger pistol was found under Barisone at the scene, read documents. Both men were handcuffed by police at the scene, according to court documents. Barisone was heard saying “I had a good life” before being removed from the scene.
Kanarek was taken to Morristown Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. Barisone was hospitalized with injuries to his head and arms. There has been no update on their injuries.
Authorities have said a landlord-tenant dispute involving Kanarek, her fiancé and Barisone brought them to the 53-acre dressage farm multiple times in the days leading up to the shooting.

https://www.northjersey.com/story/ne…ng/1987660001/

8/13

According to the police report, a woman called the Washington Township Police Department at roughly 2:13 p.m., saying, “Michael Barisone shot me. I’ve been shot twice.”
Upon arriving at Barisone’s 411 West Mill Road training facility in Long Valley, New Jersey, police heard a man, later determined to be Kanarek’s fiancé Robert Goodwin, calling for help.
An officer found Goodwin on top of Barisone, and a pink and black 9mm Ruger handgun was located underneath Barisone, according to the police report. Kanarek was lying on the pavement and bleeding from the chest near the residence she shared with Goodwin at Barisone’s Hawthorne Hill summer base.
Goodwin received an injury to his right hand and/or wrist during an attempt to “disarm and/or subdue” Barisone according to the police report. Both he and Kanarek were taken to Morristown Medical Center, where Kanarek underwent surgery and was listed in critical condition. She’s being represented by attorney Edward David of Edward David & Associates LLC in Roseland, New Jersey. David stated, “She’s in the hospital and recovering, and hopefully she will make a full recovery.”
David further stated that a press release will be forthcoming by the end of the week.
The police report also included information from an interview with Goodwin after the shooting. He said he and Kanarek were at the residence when Barisone arrived. After a brief conversation between Kanarek and Barisone outside, Goodwin heard gunshots and saw that Kanarek had been wounded. He said Barisone then aimed at him but missed, and he attempted to disarm and subdue Barisone as he waited for help.
Barisone received an injury to his head and arms and was taken to Morristown Medical Center by ambulance. Prior to leaving, the police report stated that he said, “I had a good life,” several times. Barisone was then transferred to the Morris County jail and processed on two counts of attempted murder and weapons offenses. He will stand before a judge for a bail hearing on Aug. 14.
Categories: Dressage, News
Tags: Lauren Kanarek, Michael Barisone
https://www.chronofhorse.com/article…cheduled-court

8/13

According to the authorities in the know, the motive for the shooting at the farm is still unknown, but some details regarding the case are now slowly coming into focus. Sources have alleged that Barisone was doing his best to try and evict Kanarek and her fiancé from the farm itself. But the issue was complicated as the couple didn’t just rent the farmhouse, they also stabled their own horses on the property. According to the police, Barisone was eager to get Karanek off his property becayse she had gone to the township multiple times to complain about code violations at the rental.

The police reported that prior to being called out after the shooting, they were called to the farm no less than six times in just the week leading up to the crime. What’s more than that, Kanarek herself wrote a post online sharing that she felt like her life had been threatened: “A certain unknown drunk has literally just informed me ‘sleep with one eye open,’ I’m being bullied by a 6’3 man. Bullied to the point I’m afraid,’’ she wrote in a post on Facebook shared on August 2nd. It was clear that tensions between herself and Barisone were rising, but she had no inkling it would explode this way.

Court documents break down the events the day of the shooting very clearly. At 2:15 pm on Wednesday, Barisone confronted Kanarek and her fiancé on the porch of the farmhouse the couole was renting and living in full time. The conversation escalated and Barisone shot Karanek in the chest two times at point-blank range. Once the shots were issued, Kanarek’s fiancé stepped in between them and tried to get the gun away from Barisone before he could do more damage. The documents indicate that at one point Barisone managed to issue a third shot, but the fiancé wasn’t struck. Instead, the bullet broke a window.

The police were first called the house by a 911 call, but it wasn’t Lauren’s. According to court documents, the 911 operator simply heard a man’s voice crying out for help. When they arrived at the scene, they spotted Kanarek’s fiancé on top of Barisone just outside of the house. Kanarek herself was beside the pair on the pavement, bleedingly heavily. The police separated the two men, took Barisone’s gun and arrested him immediately while Kanarek was rushed to the hospital for surgery. Both Barisone and Kanarek remain in the hospital at this time.

https://www.yourtango.com/2019327140…-her-assailant

8/14 CBS Video
https://newyork.cbslocal.com/video/4…ears-in-court/

8/14

False allegations of child abuse

https://www.nj.com/morris/2019/08/ac…n-he-shot.html

8/15

A pink and black 9mm Ruger handgun was recovered at the scene.

his attorney Jeffrey Simms described Miss Kanarek and Mr Goodwin as “squatters” at the Hawthorne Hill property where they had been living with their horses for “several months” with “no money” changing hands.
“They were not tenants, they were no longer allowed to stay on the property. They were not training their horses there with Mr Barisone’s approval,” he said. “They were asked on numerous occasions to vacate and they did not vacate. The police were called on several occasions by Mr Barisone for them to vacate and they refused to.
“That’s when the threats started to come, when they were asked to leave they threatened Mr Barisone, they threatened Mr Barisone’s partner and they threatened Mr Barisone’s partner’s children – that was part of that matter.”…

“He owns his own business, owns property and employs people, and lived on the property himself until these people threatened him and he had to move from his own home to an office barn,” he said.
An attorney acting for Miss Kanarek and Mr Goodwin, said the couple had originally stayed with Barisone for the summer season in 2018 before training in Florida over the winter. They had then returned to the New Jersey farm when the summer season began in 2019.
He claimed the defendant went to the property on 7 August “with a particular goal in mind” to “murder his adversaries”, having not been able to “gain resolution through the civil courts or the police”….

It added that Mr Goodwin had undergone surgery on Tuesday (13 August) to repair a broken hand sustained in “a brawl that ensued after the shooting”.

https://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news…goodwin-694123

8/21
{911 calls}

In a series of chilling calls to police, a former US dressage Olympian told a 911 dispatcher that he was at “war” with the award-winning equestrian he allegedly shot at nearly point-blank range.
Michael Barisone called 911 on his “clients” in the week leading up to the Aug. 7 shooting at his 53-acre farm in Morris County, New Jersey, according to NJ.com, which obtained the partially redacted recordings.
In them, the member of the 2008 Beijing Summer Games squad accused Lauren Kanarek and her fiancé, Robert Goodwin, of trespassing, failing to pay rent and harassment.
“They’re causing trouble, they’re stirring s— up. They’re here in our private horse facility, and these people need to be warned,” Barisone said on July 31. “This is a war and it’s going to be dealt with right now. I’ve had enough of these people. I need them gone.”
Barisone told the dispatcher that Kanarek and Goodwin were living at his sprawling dressage facility without a lease and without paying rent.
“They are clients who have become a menace to us,” he said in the July 31 call. “These people are destroying our lives. These people are insane.”
He also said the couple had been “causing us hell” by allegedly squatting at his Hawthorne farm.
“We used to live there but we left because we’re in fear of them,” he said.
The next day, he dialed 911 again, to complain that Kanarek, 38, was walking down the driveway while screaming on the phone with her father.
“This is a situation going from bad to worse,” Barisone said.
He also told police in an Aug. 3 call that he and his family were “in fear for our lives” after Kanarek posted on Facebook that she is “not responsible for anything my other personalities do when they’re threatened.”
Barisone, 54, is charged with attempted murder and weapons possession for pumping two bullets into Kanarek’s chest, leaving her in grave condition.
Tensions between the international dressage competitor and the couple — who were all at one point friendly — peaked after Kanarek accused Barisone of child abuse.
Barisone was interviewed by investigators with New Jersey’s child welfare agency, the Division of Child Protection and Permanency, just “moments” before the alleged shooting, his lawyer said.
In the week leading up to the attack, Kanarek also called police to report a “blacked-out SUV with some guy smoking a cigarette in the front who I’ve never seen before.”
“Except for last night at 3:15 in the morning, and we overheard them talking about like getting guys to like hurt us, kill us or whatever,” she told the dispatcher, adding that she felt her life could be in danger.
Meanwhile, in Barisone’s final call to police three days before the shooting, he can be heard arguing with Goodwin.
“I’m taking my life back,” Barisone told the dispatcher.
https://nypost.com/2019/08/21/michae…ooting-victim/

8/21

{Audio of 911 calls}
This situation is getting worse and worse and worse."
That’s what ex-Olympian equestrian Michael Barisone told a 911 dispatcher days before he was accused of shooting a tenant twice in the chest and trying to shoot her fiance on Aug. 7.

Six emergency calls were placed between July 31 and Aug. 8, by Barisone, his tenant Lauren Kanarek, her father, and Barisone’s partner.
Barisone has been charged with two counts of attempted murder.

In the first call, on July 31, Barisone said of Karanek and her fiancé, Rob Goodwin, who were living in one of the property’s apartment units: “They’re scumbags and I want them warned.”

Barisone then placed a separate call the next day, Aug. 1, and said “there is a client, we have a horse stable, and I asked her to go home for the evening and she won’t leave the barn and she’s screaming at me — disturbing the peace for the second time in three days.”

Kanarek made her own 911 call, Aug. 3, and told a dispatcher that “there was a very, very suspicious looking vehicle” outside her apartment, after 3 a.m. She described a large SUV going very slowly, with a guy smoking a cigarette inside, “and we overheard them talking about, like, getting guys — to, like, hurt us and kill us, whatever.”
When asked if she or anyone else was in danger, she said, “We feel very much that we could be.”

The same day, Aug. 3, a call from Barisone said of the ongoing dispute: “This situation is getting worse and worse and worse.” He said police had responded twice in the last three days and he referenced a Facebook post by Kanarek about split personalities.
“We’re under siege here. If they come up the driveway I don’t know what to do. This is not looking good. This is the third time and I’m getting no relief,” Barisone said on the call.
Barisone quoted a Facebook post he attributed to Kanarek that said that “everyone should be worried, I’m not responsible for anything my other personalities do when they’re threatened.”
Barisone said to the dispatcher: “That’s insane and we are in fear for our lives from these people.”

A different post by Kanarek was widely used in reports after the shooting, in which she wrote on Aug. 2 “I’m being bullied by a 6’3 man. Bullied to the point I’m afraid.”
A 911 call from Kanarek’s father on the day of the shooting said: “My daughter’s in a landlord-tenant dispute and her lawyer got a call that she’d been shot.”

On Aug. 8, Mary Haskins Gray, Barisone’s partner, called 911 to say that she had been verbally threatened by Goodwin and Jonathan Kanarek, Lauren’s father.

Defense attorney Jeffrey Simms said Kanarek and Goodwin had violated a verbal agreement with Barisone and the dispute “turned ugly.” He said the couple made a false claim of child abuse, pertaining to the two young children of Barisone’s partner who lived with him.

“They said, ‘We’re going to destroy you,’” Simms said, adding that the shooting occurred soon after a child services investigator arrived at the property.
Investigators say Barisone shot Kanarek twice in the chest at close range, before aiming his handgun at Goodwin and firing a shot that missed. Goodwin then wrestled Barisone to the ground and held him there until officers arrived, according to the police report.
Kanarek suffered damage to her chest and lungs and her condition remains serious, according to a statement from her family, shared through equestrian website, The Chronicle of the Horse.
The family also said Goodwin had surgery Aug. 13, to repair a broken hand.
Barisone remains in jail, pending trial.

Read More: Dueling 911 calls in days before Barisone Dressage shooting | https://nj1015.com/in-fear-for-our-l…edium=referral

8/26
{911 Audio}

LONG VALLEY, NJ — Police were called to an Olympian’s Long Valley horse farm at nearly half a dozen times in the week leading up to a double-attempted murder, according to 911 calls and incident reports.
Between July 31 and Aug. 6, the day before the alleged attempted murder, Washington Township police were called out to Hawthorne Farms on West Mill Road at least five different times. They were also called to the farm on Aug. 8, the day after the shooting. (You can listen to the 911 calls below.)

Michael Barisone, 54, an Olympic dressage rider and the farm’s owner, called police at least five times to report harassment ahead of an Aug. 7, 911 calls show. Barisone is accused of shooting a woman twice in the chest, and attempting to shoot her fiance, at his farm following a bitter landlord-tenant dispute. He is currently detained in the Morris County Correctional Facility while the charges are pending.
Kanarek, the woman he is accused of shooting, also called police to the farm once. (Barisone is also accused of attempting to shoot Kanarek’s fiance, Robert Goodwin, but records do not show that Goodwin called police at all.)

The four calls placed by Barisone to 911 share several similarities. In each call, Barisone complains of harassment against him and his family by Kanarek and Goodwin. He described the couple, who were living in Barisone’s home on the property, as guests, squatters, not tenants.
On each of the calls, Barisone tells the 911 operators that Kanarak and Goodwin did not have weapons, nor did they threaten him with one. On the three four calls, Barisone said he was not in immediate danger, but on the fourth call he said he “wasn’t sure” if there was immediate danger or not.

Barisone’s defense attorney, Jeffrey Simms, said Kanarek also called Division of Child Protection and Permanency (DCP&P) to the farm, alleging that Barisone was abusing his fiance’s children. Simms has said the call was a harassment tactic, and denied that Barisone abused the children.
“While there may have been a civil disagreement between Lauren and Mr. Barisone, such things never justify the use of a gun,” Kanarek family lawyer David said in a statement.

July 31
The first call was placed by Barisone on July 31 around 11 p.m. Barisone told 911 operators that Kanarek and Goodwin were at the barn past 9 p.m., and that the couple had scared Barisone and his family out of their home on the property.
“They’re scum bags, I want them warned, they have chased us out of our home and I want this dealt with tonight,” Barisone said, later adding, “These people have been living here and they.re causing us hell.”
“This is a war, and it’s going to be dealt with now,” Barisone said.
August 1
Police were called back to the home the next night, around 7 p.m. Barisone told 911 operators he’d asked Kanarek to leave the barn, and she refused. Barisone said Kanarek and Goodwin were “invading my property,” and described them as swatters in the home.
“This is a situation going from bad to worse,” Barisone said.
Morning of August 3
LONG VALLEY, NJ — Police were called to an Olympian’s Long Valley horse farm at nearly half a dozen times in the week leading up to a double-attempted murder, according to 911 calls and incident reports.
Between July 31 and Aug. 6, the day before the alleged attempted murder, Washington Township police were called out to Hawthorne Farms on West Mill Road at least five different times. They were also called to the farm on Aug. 8, the day after the shooting. (You can listen to the 911 calls below.)
Michael Barisone, 54, an Olympic dressage rider and the farm’s owner, called police at least five times to report harassment ahead of an Aug. 7, 911 calls show. Barisone is accused of shooting a woman twice in the chest, and attempting to shoot her fiance, at his farm following a bitter landlord-tenant dispute. He is currently detained in the Morris County Correctional Facility while the charges are pending.

Woman Uses Ring Cam to Order Her Chickens Back Inside
Pamela’s chickens take the term “free range” seriously. One day, she opened her Ring app to discover they had ventured a little too far from the backyard. See what happens next.
Watch Now
Lauren Kanarek, the woman he is accused of shooting, also called police to the farm once. (Barisone is also accused of attempting to shoot Kanarek’s fiance, Robert Goodwin, but records do not show that Goodwin called police at all.)
The four calls placed by Barisone to 911 share several similarities. In each call, Barisone complains of harassment against him and his family by Kanarek and Goodwin. He described the couple, who were living in Barisone’s home on the property, as guests, squatters, not tenants.

On each of the calls, Barisone tells the 911 operators that Kanarak and Goodwin did not have weapons, nor did they threaten him with one. On the three four calls, Barisone said he was not in immediate danger, but on the fourth call he said he “wasn’t sure” if there was immediate danger or not.
Barisone’s defense attorney, Jeffrey Simms, said Kanarek also called Division of Child Protection and Permanency (DCP&P) to the farm, alleging that Barisone was abusing his fiance’s children. Simms has said the call was a harassment tactic, and denied that Barisone abused the children.
“While there may have been a civil disagreement between Lauren and Mr. Barisone, such things never justify the use of a gun,” Kanarek family lawyer David said in a statement.
July 31
The first call was placed by Barisone on July 31 around 11 p.m. Barisone told 911 operators that Kanarek and Goodwin were at the barn past 9 p.m., and that the couple had scared Barisone and his family out of their home on the property.
“They’re scum bags, I want them warned, they have chased us out of our home and I want this dealt with tonight,” Barisone said, later adding, “These people have been living here and they.re causing us hell.”
“This is a war, and it’s going to be dealt with now,” Barisone said.
August 1
Police were called back to the home the next night, around 7 p.m. Barisone told 911 operators he’d asked Kanarek to leave the barn, and she refused. Barisone said Kanarek and Goodwin were “invading my property,” and described them as swatters in the home.
“This is a situation going from bad to worse,” Barisone said.
Morning of August 3
The third call was placed on the advice of a lawyer Barisone had retained, and there was no immediate issue, Barisone told 911 operators the morning of Aug. 3.
The most pressing issue on the third call was a Facebook post shared by Kanarek, which Barisone said stated , “My split personalities are going to take over, and I am not in control of what we do when they are threatened.” He also accused Kanarek and Goodwin of “bugging” his conversations at his temporary home in the stables.
Night of August 3
Kanarek called police to the home just once before the shooting. According to an incident report released by the Washington Township Police Department, Kanarek called that night to report a suspicious black car driving to an area of the property.
Police went to the home, and told Kanarek the car belonged to someone else living in another area of the farm.
It appears that Kanarek called the non-emergency police department line. No 911 call was released for this call for service.
August 4
Police went to the farm one last time before the shooting on Aug. 4. Barisone called police to say he had asked Kanarek and Goodwin to sign a contract but the pair refused.
This was the only call where Barisone said he wasn’t sure if he was in danger or not.
“I’m taking my life back,” Barisone told 911 dispatchers.
August 7
The afternoon of August 7, Barisone is accused of shooting Kanarek twice in the chest and attempting to shoot Goodwin. Three people called 911: a nearby resident, Kanarek’s father, and Kanarek herself.
“Michael Barisone shot me,” Kanarek reportedly said in her 911 call, according to an affidavit of probable cause. The Morris County Prosecutor’s Office did not release the audio her 911 call, citing the ongoing investigation.
August 8
The day after Barisone is accused of shooting Kanarek and attempting to shoot Goodwin, another stable employee called Washington police for help.
Ruth Cox, the acting barn manager, called police to say that Goodwin was trying to get into the barn, but he was acting “menacing,” an incident report said.
When police arrived, Goodwin said he was at the barn because his horses needed hay and special wraps.
Cox and Goodwin exchanged numbers and agreed to text to set up times Goodwin could tend to the horses, a police report showed. No 911 call was released for this call for service.
[B]https://patch.com/new-jersey/longval…-farm-shooting

10/15[/B]
The shooting was the shocking culmination of a landlord-tenant dispute that the woman, Lauren Kanarek, had documented all summer on social media, openly fearful of what might happen. “I’m afraid,” she wrote, five days before the attack. “I’m being bullied.”
Mr. Barisone, who was charged with two counts of attempted murder, said that he shot Ms. Kanarek in self-defense.
In the week before the shooting, Mr. Barisone had called 911 several times, claiming that she and her fiancé were squatters on his farm, and were harassing him; in one call, Mr. Barisone described the conflict as “a war. And it’s going to be dealt with.”
Ms. Kanarek survived the attack, but was placed in a medically induced coma. Finally, after an extensive surgery to repair damage from a bullet to her left lung, and more than a week of hospitalization, she had recovered enough to start reconnecting with the world.
The first thing she saw, she recalled, were comments that “wished I was dead.”
“They know there is a person suffering multiple gunshot wounds, bullet wounds,” she said in an interview, her voice raspy where the ventilator had damaged her vocal cords. “To say those things, is something no one could ever imagine.”
Seldom do attempted murder cases elicit sympathy for the suspect; rarer still are cases where the victim is blamed. And yet Ms. Kanarek somehow found herself the target of an online lynch mob.
“Yes, you were shot by an obviously provoked man … but you accept zero accountability,” reads one direct reply to Ms. Kanarek on an online forum hosted by The Chronicle of the Horse, an equestrian publication. “What a narcissist. It’s always someone else’s fault.”

The blind sympathy for Mr. Barisone lies partly in his standing in the dressage world; he served as a reserve rider on the United States dressage team in the 2008 Olympics, and coached Allison Brock, one of the riders for the United States squad that won a team bronze in the 2016 Olympics.
Few fans could fathom his involvement, and many who tried to find reason behind the shooting ended up focusing on his claims that Ms. Kanarek had serially harassed him.
Just before the shooting, Ms. Kanarek had asked the Division of Child Protection and Permanency to investigate Mr. Barisone for potential abuse of a child of his fiancée, according to Jeffery Simms, the lawyer who represented him at the arraignment.
“The alleged victim is not a victim,” Mr. Simms told reporters then. “She’s a villain.” Ms. Kanarek said she did not recall placing the call to child services.
Mr. Barisone’s supporters also point to Ms. Kanarek’s inflammatory social media presence. She has at least one pending charge against her for cyberstalking in North Carolina, where she used to live.
“Lauren Kanarek took her bullying too far. Everyone has limits,” Susan Wachowich, who runs a popular site covering the sport, wrote on Twitter the day of the shooting. She wrote that the site “100% supports Michael Barisone in his actions.”

Ms. Kanarek met Mr. Barisone at a horse competition in Wellington, Fla., in 2018. She decided to move her horses from North Carolina to his Hawthorne Hill farm in Long Valley, in the heart of New Jersey’s horse country, for the chance to train with an Olympic great, she said.
As part of the arrangement, she and her fiancé, Robert Goodwin, would live on the property, in an apartment in a farmhouse where Mr. Barisone lived.
Tensions grew after a flood in the farmhouse forced Mr. Barisone and his fiancée to move into a barn on the property, Ms. Kanarek said. Mr. Barisone tried to kick Ms. Kanarek and Mr. Goodwin out of the apartment, according to Ms. Kanarek, so he could live there; they refused.

A month before the shooting, Mr. Barisone began contacting people who had online disputes with Ms. Kanarek. He told them that he was trying to build a legal case against Ms. Kanarek and Mr. Goodwin, and eject them from his property.

“‘I know that you are a victim of this girl Lauren’s torture, and she is on our farm,’” Ms. Stagaard recalled Mr. Barisone telling her over the phone.
“He said, ‘She is causing nothing but havoc here; we are losing our minds.’”
Ms. Stagaard has been embroiled in a long online spat with Ms. Kanarek, whom she has never met, over a former shared love interest, she said. Her public animus toward Ms. Kanarek has continued even after the shooting.
Ms. Stagaard was one of several women, including a North Carolina-based horsewomen named Kathryn Parkinson, who filed a complaint last spring to the United States Equestrian Federation and SafeSport, a nonprofit organization that investigates various forms of misconduct in Olympic sports. They accused Ms. Kanarek of bullying.

The federation said the complaint was investigated and found not to merit any action. “It seemed to us more like a personal matter,” said Vicki Lowell, a spokeswoman for the federation.

Separately, Ms. Kanarek said she had complained to SafeSport about Mr. Barisone this summer. Dan Hill, a spokesman for SafeSport, said he could not confirm whether a report was filed.

In the meantime, the situation at Hawthorne Hill worsened in the weeks before the shooting: The police were summoned to the farm at least six times, according to recordings of 911 calls placed by Ms. Kanarek, her family and Mr. Barisone.
“These people have been living here and they’re causing us hell,” Mr. Barisone told the operator on July 31, according to recordings obtained by the news site Patch.
Three days before the attack, on Aug. 4, Mr. Barisone called 911 a final time. “I’m taking my life back,” he told the operator.

When the police responded the day of the shooting, they found Mr. Barisone pinned beneath Mr. Goodwin, a black and pink 9-millimeter Ruger pistol under both of them. The police report indicated that he also shot at Mr. Goodwin but missed.
As medical personnel and police officers circled through, Mr. Barisone was overheard repeating the same sentence: “I had a good life.”
Mr. Barisone is being held in a Morris County jail, after being refused bail by a judge. His current lawyer, Edward J. Bilinkas, did not respond to multiple emails and calls requesting comment.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/15/n…ial-media.html

5 Likes

This breaks my heart.

Obligatory disclaimer; no one deserves to be shot.

1 Like

One of the accounts said when MB went to LK on the day of the shooting that RG was inside and only came out when he heard shots.

He must move pretty fast to then pin a 6’3 guy who was armed aiming at him. Like he’s The Flash.

10 Likes

Dang, that broken hand healed quickly!!

11 Likes
But it was broken, according to the news reports. 

The 10/15/19 account has a link to someone posting on COTH that LK “provoked” MB and “accepts zero responsibility”  when the article discusses the early victim blaming phenomenon. Turns out the one COTH post linked in the article was written by Eggbutt, quel surprise. SW is quoted in the next sentence. 

So, according to the news accounts, it was LK who reported “code violations” to the township.
1 Like

I am surprised no one has mentioned the challenge SW made in response to LK’s post about her on FB, or the post on DH with a video of LK.

5 Likes

Does anyone recall what the $50,000 worth of work RG was supposed to have done on the house? Was it repair of the flood damage or something else?

1 Like

[ATTACH=JSON]{“alt”:“Click image for larger version Name: rg 8-27.jpg Views: 1 Size: 7.8 KB ID: 10615711”,“data-align”:“none”,“data-attachmentid”:“10615711”,“data-size”:“full”}[/ATTACH]

This was posted to IG by LK on August 27, 20 days after the shooting. I don’t see a cast, any swelling, bruising, stitches, etc to either hand. Marines heal quickly.:eek::eek::wink:

rg 8-27.jpg

13 Likes

I‘ve been involved in many construction projects, both as a property owner and as a property lessee, and I have NEVER pulled a building permit. The contractor has always pulled the necessary permits.

If you pull the permits yourself, then you become liable for any worker accidents or any any sub-par work. So if the work later causes injury, fire, etc, YOU will be the responsible party, not the person who did the work.

So to reiterate, it’s usually the contractor performing the work who pulls the permits, not the homeowner.

23 Likes

I, for one, do not have a blind sympathy for MB. I do not ride Dressage, nor do I watch it or have any interest in it. I could not have told you who MB was before this horrific event occurred.

It has been obvious since this happened that there is so much more to this story.

MB has navigated adulthood as a normal adult. He excelled in his chosen profession and was very successful in it, even though it is a profession in which many fail. Was his life perfect? Certainly not, but whose life is? Are we to be expected to believe that he just suddenly went off the deep end one day and lost it on someone?

Bottom line for me is that there is much, much more to this story.

26 Likes

Hallelujah! My life and bucket list is complete! One of MY forum posts was quoted by Sarah Nir and published in a NYT article. How to top that? :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: So many are obsessed these days.

17 Likes

Sounds like you want to mention it. I’m not on Facebook.

I agree that a licensed contractor usually pulls the permits as part of the service. But can an unlicensed contractor sign documents requesting the permit? How would that work?

If states are so hostile to unlicensed contractors
(rightly so), do you see building departments issuing permits to them?

While I agree that in most cases a licensed contractor will go though the administrative steps of pulling the permits, partly because they’re used to the process, I don’t think that by pulling the permit the property owner takes on more liability. Licensed contractors are often required to carry insurance, at least in my state. I think a licensed contractor would still be responsible for worker accidents (perhaps through OSHA) and subpar work, regardless of whether the contractor or the property owner pulled the permit.

With major remodeling, a licensed contractor almost always pulls the permit. If the work is done by an unlicensed contractor, I suspect that usually no permits have been obtained. I think avoiding the permit process, along with lower prices, is one of the reasons some property owners use unlicensed contractors.

This is heartbreaking.

Obligatory disclaimer: No one deserves to be shot

6 Likes

An unlicensed contractor shouldn’t be working at all. Therefore they would not need to apply for permits. Because they are assumed not to be doing the job. It’s not addressed.

It’s like asking if a cat needs a drivers license.

26 Likes