Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

“American word usage” is considered the same as the “English language” Hm. There is correct/proepr English and there is American word usage. I think they’re different. I mean, I could just be making things up here, but just something I thought about.

5 Likes

Excellent post. Thank you.

3 Likes

Indeed, I do not know the nationality of the poster who criticized Lauren for using the expression. Lauren is American, and she was using a standard American idiom correctly.

American English is somewhat different from British English. If you want to live your life using OED sanctioned British English, fine.

Regardless of the poster’s nationality, she was ignorant of American usage in her post, which, ironically, was attempting to put Lauren down for exactly that form of ignorance. Or perhaps she was criticizing Lauren for not using British English, despite being American?

1 Like

Common American word usage does differ from the OED specified proper “English” language. No country or nation “owns” a language, even England/Britain/UK.

If, in the desperate search to find things to disparage Lauren with, people are going to make fun of her for using common American word usage, as opposed to proper British English, that is an indication of how desperate and petty Lauren’s detractors are.

However, I don’t think the poster intended to criticize Lauren for failing to use “the Queen’s English”. I think the poster, of whatever nationality, was simply ignorant of the fact that “I could care less”, in American usage, means “I couldn’t care less.”

1 Like

My point was to many “could” is wrong despite changes to American English. It’s only correct because it’s a variant idiom and those do not follow logic.

Neither person is wrong so why pick this hill to die on.

Oh and the original was first written in the 1800’s without the contraction.

9 Likes

Ok.

2 Likes

I think it is wrong and pathetic for a poster, whether American, British, Canadian or otherwise to disparage an American for using a common American idiom, regardless of the illogical nature of the idiom.

If you or anyone else chooses to write in your preferred OED style proper English, I’m not disparaging you for that.

1 Like

So, when you actually could care less, what in the world are you supposed to say?

8 Likes

Simple. Say “I don’t care” instead.

2 Likes

That’s nice. No one should disparage anyone in a perfect world, however in my opinion, it’s more offensive coming from someone not involved with either party. No need to jump into threads defending an adult.

8 Likes

Not the same. “I could care less” implies some degree of caring.

8 Likes

“Yeah. So?”

4 Likes

You’re right. Most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard. What is wrong with people? (rhetorical)

6 Likes

Going back to RG being a licensed contractor or not, I don’t think he is. The problem with that is LK crying about supposed monies owed. Many people use unlicensed people to do renovations, build stuff, fix stuff, electrical work etc. The risk of it is, if it goes sideways neither party really has a legal leg to stand on if the person didn’t lie and falsify documents related to their supposed license.

That’s probably why LK won’t answer the question nor will we see RG sue. IMO it’s smart for LK to keep her mouth shut about that despite bringing it up on social media previously.

@Knights Mom please correct me if I’m wrong in my first paragraph.

11 Likes

“I don’t really care.” Or just “I don’t care.”

From what Knights Mom posted, it sounds like the property owner has a legal leg to stand on if push comes to shove, the unlicensed person, none.

I don’t see any action coming from a third party braying about it on social media. From what was referred to up-thread, the rub is that when the contractor requests payment, the owner can simply refuse to pay, end of.

The money due for remodeling/repair isn’t LK’s case to pursue, unless she also did some of the work?

6 Likes

Huh? LK, when this story broke, brought up MB owing RG 50k. I was also speaking about RG himself suing. Of course LK can’t sue on behalf of RG for monies owed.

I was merely guessing that being unlicensed was why RG isn’t suing and why LK won’t talk about it. That would open a whole new can of worms for RG.

9 Likes

I care a great deal?
Sheilah

3 Likes

Denali brought up the crucial distinction of whether RG was not only unlicensed, but also misrepresented to MB that he was licensed.

If RG essentially scammed MB by falsely representing that he was licensed and insured, etc., and MB thought he was hiring a fully licensed contractor, then all the fault lies with RG.

However, in my state, it is illegal for a property owner to hire an unlicensed contractor for anything other than minor repairs. If, in NJ, any significant remodeling must be done by a licensed contractor, then MB is also breaking the law, unless RG misrepresented his unlicensed status. But even then, MB could have checked on whether RG was licensed.

@Denali6298, D’oh! I guess i misunderstood what you were asking! I’ll read more closely next time.

1 Like