Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

:lol: All good! Honestly this thread is tough to read from the many nonsense posts and irrelevant arguments! I have found myself reading posts multiple times to make sure I’m following.

4 Likes

I never said RG could have misrepresented himself please do not twist my words so they read like an accusation.

I think MB had him do the work because he could and it was convenient. I don’t think any conversation was had with regards to being licensed or not.

7 Likes

Courts frown on unlicensed contractors. Had a case in my court where unlicensed contractor took customer to court for nonpayment for work. Due to law ( same law in NJ exists) the customer was awarded 3 times the amount the unlicensed contractor sued for. Treble damages.

That’s why RG hasn’t started a case probably.

And it’s also why MB doesn’t owe $50,000 I’m thinking.

Fitze, feel free to chime in.

12 Likes

Note: then LK claimed violations existed. I wonder if that included RGs work.

6 Likes

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Do you know, does the term “Minor” or “major” in your area refer to total cost of the work, or only to the type of work?

Btw there is no law in my state to address a property owner hiring unlicensed. But there sure as heck is for unlicensed performing the work.

6 Likes

I didn’t interpret you as suggesting that RG had falsely claimed to be licensed.

I was trying to agree with your point, as I understood it, that if both parties knew full well that RG was not a licensed contractor, then MB was violating the law by hiring an unlicensed contractor, in addition to RG violating the law by doing the remodeling.

Despite the prohibitions to significant remodeling being done by unlicensed and uninsured contractors, many people use unlicensed contractors because they’re often cheaper.

What law was that? That is an assumption, knowing someone isn’t licensed, especially since LaLa wouldn’t answer.

1 Like

Probably both, but anything over $500 requires a licensed contractor.

1 Like

Thank you for clarifying. Your post read like I was suggesting RG lied.

1 Like

In most states one can’t do major work without a license. For example, my Dad asked me to wire his cabin that he built for electricity. I emphatically declined as I wasn’t licensed in any state at the time.

I’m an electrician for aircraft and while I know how to do it I wasn’t going to risk it.

2 Likes

In the case you referenced, did the unlicensed contractor represent that he was fully licensed and insured? Or did the property owner hire him with full knowledge that he was NOT licensed? I think that is an important distinction.

No, not the same thing at all. “I could care less” implies a certain amount of caring. “I could write less in this thread” would be meaningless if I didn’t write at all. See?

4 Likes

I literally could care less.

No wait…

2 Likes

I agree if RG wasn’t licensed, he sure shouldn’t be attempting anything. YD was assuming MB knew RG wasn’t licensed, and they are claiming MB broke the law, when RG did the work. RG is to blame if he wasn’t licensed. Knights Mom said in her state the law sides with the owner, not the person doing the work unlicensed.

1 Like

Is that parts and labor combined or just parts? For example you need electrical work and I just charge you for parts because we are friends. I go do the same work for someone else and include labor. Obviously the bill with labor would be higher and more likely to reach the $500 threshold.

No she clarified that she wasn’t alleging MB knew RG wasn’t licensed. She was saying “if” like I did (ie random parties) and probably thinks the same as me.

1 Like

In my state (undisclosed, but not NJ), it is illegal for a property owner to hire an unlicensed contractor to perform work valued over $500. My state tends to the high regulation side of the spectrum (but I would have thought NJ would also be high regulation).

Sort of like prostitution or selling marijuana (back when it was illegal), if a certain type of transaction is illegal, in general both parties of the transaction are breaking the law when they engage in the transaction.

He knew.

4 Likes

There are probably additional restrictions on installing gas lines and electrical work regardless of cost. My highly regulated state considers electrical work and installing gas lines done by unlicensed and uninsured contractors a threat to safety, even if done for free by a friend.

I actually don’t know all the gory details because if there is anything I can’t do myself, I hire a licensed person. Unlicensed contractors may give you a bid that looks cheap, but they end up being more expensive in the long run, when the shoddy wiring causes a fire or something.

2 Likes