Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

Where was the apology? I must have missed that.

And it is most demonstrably NOT “apparently”. I state specifically that I (i) do not practice the relevant type of law for these cases, and (ii) was not opining in NJ law. KM did not ask me to weigh in on NJ law, she asked me to weigh in on law in general.

[edit] And, no, you didn’t reply to any of my content. I believe you went back and edited your one-liner, cancel-culture response to look more thoughtful, but I have declined to read it. It is disingenuous of you to have edited that to make yourself look like you gave a more robust and reasonable response. It’s dishonest, but, then again, we are used to that from you.

No matter how you try to spin it you were canceling my contribution. I don’t need to disclose my passport countries to you of all people who coyly note you won’t disclose your state. You are remarkably rude, entitled, and, for the most part, talking out your nether regions. You have just enough vocabulary and google searches to sound quasi-learned, but have definitive contributions on exactly nothing. You phrase things as though butter wouldn’t melt in your mouth, but you are uncivil in your discourse.

Please scroll past my contributions. [edit]

32 Likes
      Most boyfriends of clients are not licensed contractors. If you happen to observe that the boyfriend is making a lot of money in construction on other projects, then I agree with you that it would be more natural to assume he is a contractor than otherwise. But I think the property owner still has a responsibility to take 4 seconds to search online as to whether the contractor is licensed, as several posters have done. 

May I assume you are Canadian based on your spelling of “tonne”?

Courts in NJ and several other states disagree with your opinion.

18 Likes

This. And the law can easily say, it doesn’t matter if you can establish 100% that client knew, you are still 100% liable. Or, in this case, 300% liable.

8 Likes

My apology to
@FitzE
for incorrectly thinking that she had said in a SafeSport thread that she was Canadian.

No, no, no, NO!!! We aren’t questioning identity but we ARE questioning nationality? Give me a break. (Sorry, I read the post before seeing who the poster was and knee-jerked. Back to regularly scheduled programming.)

9 Likes

Again, this. The law can be drafted to assign liability where they want it regardless of details. As I stated in the discussion of general principles, there are reasons to assign liability, like compelling state interest, that supersede layman ideas like it’s common sense that client would do a license search.

12 Likes

No, sorry. I just enjoy that particular spelling of crap-tonne. Although sometimes I flirt with spelling it crappe-tonne. For me, tonne looks heavier (and it is!)

11 Likes
 In your previous post you reiterated that you were not talking about the actual law in NJ, or some other state, but what the law might say, based on general legal principles. True. No argument there. 

But does any lawyer know what the law ACTUALLY says on this issue in, ideally, NJ, or in some US state?

Good explanation. I kind of like crappe-tonne.

It’s quite the red herring you have going here.

The person without the license is breaking the law. The person that may have hired him has bigger legal problems to consider, than if he bears any responsibility for another person performing work without a license. :wink:

10 Likes

I think that’s exactly what FrizE is telling us, “in this case, 300%” based on the statute that Knights Mom posted up-thread a bit.

So yeah, relying on what KM posted about NJ case law, regardless of the owners actual knowledge that a contractor does not have a license, the owner can refuse to pay the contractor for legit good work, and then when contractor sues, the owner can even get 300% of the amount requested by the contractor.

This appears to be true in other jurisdictions as well. Who knows what the hell was going on in NJ when these were written, maybe unions ran the show? Maybe construction/real estate developers?

Maybe a tile fell off a roof of a train station when the train was coming into the station and hit someone on the head?

4 Likes

The risk is subpar work that is not up to code and endangers the people living there. The state, rightfully and wisely, decides that it is the state’s responsibility to police all that, not the individual homeowner. It is too important an issue (the safety and habitability of buildings within their jurisdiction) to leave to the control or oversight of any individual homeowner, so they take it on themselves. Then they would look to see who best to punish in the case of non-compliance.

Like lawyers need to be responsible for our continuing edu, license, bar admission, etc. Our clients are never required in any way, even in the “4 seconds” it might take to see if we are currently in good standing and licensed, responsible for our compliance with any regulations on us as legal professionals. We are always 100% liable for an failure in that area even if we were to tell a client, “Hey, hire me! I’m cheap b/c I’ve failed to pay my dues and satisfy my CLP requirements in order to be a good standing!!!”

14 Likes

In my state (not NJ), a property owner is breaking the law if he knowingly hires an unlicensed contractor. Both sides of the transaction bear some fault and responsibility.

The legal consequences are probably more severe for the unlicensed contractor than for the property owner.

While I don’t find it surprising that the courts would award treble damages to the property owner if the unlicensed contractor essentially defrauded the property owner by falsely claiming to be licensed, I do find it surprising that the courts would award treble damages if there was no fraud, and the property owner hired the contractor knowing full well that the contractor was unlicensed. But maybe that is the case in NJ.

As FitzE pointed out, laws can be written to assign liability wherever the legislators want it assigned. That doesn’t in itself tell us where the laws in specific states actually do assign liability.

As far as that goes, I don’t beileve he made it through Basic, so would that really make him a Marine?

18 Likes

Guess you will have to remain surprised then…

13 Likes

No, it would not. It would make him an aspiring Marine that didn’t make the grade. Though he could say he “was a Marine” and be both truthful and disingenuous, unless he qualified his statement by admitting he was in boot camp for a few weeks.

8 Likes

Yes, purposefully hiring someone you know you won’t have to pay would be a total d!ck move. But apparently NJ is willing to allow a few of those to protect the other owners who are legit trying.

And, as FiztE said, to protect the general welfare and ensure the safety and habitability of homes in NJ. Which totally makes sense. To me, a home owner. And NJ obviously equates safe homes as being as important as safe medical care, and doesn’t punish people for going to an unlicensed medical provider. Which makes sense to me, a person who sometimes need medial services.

5 Likes

Brilliantly analyzed and beautifully articulated.

26 Likes

:lol::lol::lol::lol: Wearing the uniform for a portion of basic training doesn’t make one a veteran. Most Marines have their passion for being a full-fledged US Marine plastered all over their SM, vehicles, body, anywhere they can show the brotherhood. Shame on anyone passing themselves off as a US Military Veteran who is not. (As far as I’ve seen, only LK has made this claim.)

Semper Fi.

14 Likes