Barisone/Kanarek Legal Filings (Public Record)

EVERY SINGLE PETITION AND SUMMONS I COME ACROSS MADE BY AN ATTORNEY CONTAINS THIS PHRASE. AFFIDAVITS OF SERVICE, ANSWERS, BRIEFS - ANYTHING TOLD BY A 3RD PERSON APPLIES.

In the law of evidence, the phrase information and belief identifies a statement that is made, not from firsthand knowledge, but “based on secondhand information that the declarant believes is true”. The phrase is often used in legal pleadings, declarations under penalty of perjury, and affidavits under oath.

Pleading on ’information and belief’ Pleading facts “on information and belief” is a widely-used device in both state and federal practice. For example, when representing plaintiffs, lawyers might allege matters “on information and belief” when the relevant facts are in the defendant’s control. Or, lawyers might use the phrase as a caveat when their client harbors suspicions that have not yet been confirmed.

Similarly, one might allege on “information and belief” unconfirmed facts that appear in newspapers, TV broadcasts, or on the Internet.

Why?
This protects the maker of the statement from claims of outright falsehood or perjury. [h=2][/h]

11 Likes

I for one appreciate your ability to link Python to a variety of life’s circumstances :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Kind of like ‘trust but verify’? An attorney is taking the client’s word for it, and since you are representing someone, you have to extend a measure of trust. A client may not be lying, but they can be wrong.

6 Likes

Thank you @Knights Mom . That makes sense to me (someone with no legal background).

4 Likes

Exactly.

And trubandloki you’re welcome.

7 Likes

Regarding the question of LK’s character or past bad acts being admissible in a criminal trial, NJ has adopted rules of evidence that are very similar to the federal rules (adopted by many states, sometimes with slight modifications) and will therefore be familiar to attorneys in other jurisdictions. I am admitted to the bar in a different state but studied the federal rules in law school. Here is a link for anyone who would like to read the rules for themselves: https://www.njcourts.gov/attorneys/a…nce4.pdf?c=yZH

The basic rule is that character evidence is not admissible to prove that the person acted in character (paraphrasing here…see NJRE 404(a)) but there are exceptions. Especially pertinent to this case are:

NJRE 404(a)(2)(2) Character of victim. --Evidence of a pertinent trait of character of the victim of the crime offered by an accused or by the prosecution to rebut the same, or evidence of a character trait of peacefulness of the victim offered by the prosecution in a homicide case to rebut evidence that the victim was the first aggressor;

So if the defense in a criminal case has evidence that the victim has a penchant for harassment or aggression, that might be admitted. Or if the defense is claiming self-defense, the prosecution could submit evidence of the victim’s peaceful nature.

NJRE 404(b) Other crimes, wrongs, or acts. --Except as otherwise provided by Rule 608(b), evidence of other crimes, wrongs, or acts is not admissible to prove the disposition of a person in order to show that such person acted in conformity therewith. Such evidence may be admitted for other purposes, such as proof of motive, opportunity, intent, preparation, plan, knowledge, identity or absence of mistake or accident when such matters are relevant to a material issue in dispute.

So, “prior bad acts” (term of art) or crimes like harassment of people other than the defendant cannot be used to show that the victim was harassing the defendant because s/he had done so in the past. But they might be admissible if an attorney convinces the judge that those prior bad acts reveal something about the victim’s intent, plan, etc. It can be a fine line and really depends on the attorneys and judges involved.

As of 2018 at least NJ case law prescribed use of a four-pronged test for determining admissibility of prior bad acts: the evidence must be 1) “relevant to a material issue;” 2) “similar in kind and reasonably close in time to the offense charged;” 3) “clear and convincing;” and 4) “[t]he probative value of the evidence must not be outweighed by its apparent prejudice.” (State v. Cofield, 605 A.2d 230)

So (as always) a judge could rule that evidence of prior bad acts is unduly prejudicial and refuse to admit it even if s/he believes it is relevant and probative.

Clear as mud?

Caveat: I am not familiar with how these laws are applied in NJ in practice and I’m not spending my time researching it. I also know from experience that judges can be very unpredictable. I have seen some questionable stuff be admitted into evidence over well-argued objections from the other side, and seen some evidence that should have been admitted be excluded. So, even knowing the rules it is hard to predict what would happen in a particular case. Going to trial is unpredictable and risky for both sides, which is part of why so many cases settle or end in plea deals.

22 Likes

I agree. I think the fact there are so many instances of victim alleged questionable bad behavior that may weigh in defendant’s favor - certainly upon appeal.

Also in the defense’s favor is the nature of prior arrests in light of defense’s assertions. However, a lack of convictions also plays a role.

Another aspect: this is a relatively high profile case in that it hit just about every form of media available: internet, newspaper, sports news, magazine, etc. As to who benefits from that I could only guess.

But media is quick to grasp drama, and Lauren’s past offers that in spades. Barisone’s may include team participation but it’s no where near as juicy.

5 Likes

It can’t be said enough: thank you to the attorneys who have participated in this topic. It’s like a virtual Law 101 course, for me at least. And, not the least benefit is you’ve all but shut down the tedious offerings of a poster who likes to think they steer the ship. For that I am doubly grateful.

23 Likes

Amen!

3 Likes

In my jurisdiction (in Canada) in order to use “information and belief” the deponent must state from whom or where they got the information, and that they believe it is true, sometimes with additional information that helps assess whether it should be believed. This is taken seriously by the court in weighing that evidence, because it is hearsay.

I took the judge’s decision in this case to be a prime example when it was not established as a fact that MB was selling his horses, because LK did not specify from whom she had heard that information and the judge couldn’t assess how credible it was.

9 Likes

All exactly right. I personally would never have faced any issues by hiring an unlicensed contractor. I also sit on the Planning Commission of my township and there is no way anyone could build anything of substance in my township without lots of oversight, permits, appearances before us, etc.

3 Likes

Yes, as unfair as it may seem on the face of it, from a state interest viewpoint it makes abundant sense that only the unlicensed contractor would be liable. Treble damages is no joke, too!

Points like this always surprise me. LK loves to boast of her own legal knowledge and her vast family and friends network of legal professionals. As such, I’m surprised she would go on at such length about a “debt” owed them that could, in fact, be a much bigger claim against them. Seems like there are a lot of unforced errors in her various lengthy missives.

18 Likes

It seems logical in her vast stable of attorneys, that one of them would have questioned license status of Mr, Goodwin, if that is the basis for all the money supposedly owed them. Perhaps that is exactly why there is no public record of his lawsuit.

9 Likes

Yet some wonder why Lauren is so disliked on SM by so many. She continues to mention people in NC in an almost obsessive manner regardless of any recent interaction with any of them. She seems to project her own insecurities and doubt upon others she may actually envy, similar to some current leadership in this country (the US),

None of her actions, that we are aware of, deserve being shot, but she apparently pushed someone to a limit she never anticipated and is quite lucky to be alive and continue living her dream. I can’t believe others have not reported her to SafeSport and why they have not reacted to date, that we are aware of.

6 Likes

“That we are aware of” being the operative statement in this entire situation.

6 Likes

You don’t have to be a mental health professional to see what a difficult person she probably is in real life.

The way she writes on SM alone will get people’s dander up. We’ve all met folks who present as she does, and we all know what usually happens in those relationships.

I don’t know how much of her actions are driven by the knowledge that she has other ways to behave. This way has been successful for her. She learned/sharpened these social tools, and just like the rest of us, they have gotten her by, so why not keep using them?

How many of us are truly insightful about our daily interactions?

10 Likes

Yeah, rereading my post, I apparently got stuck on those words! :lol::lol::lol: At least I didn’t use “fantastic”!

3 Likes

I am also not interested in a Netflix trainwreck shockumentary of this debacle. I would prefer to see it play out on something more substantial like American Greed as with Rita Crundwell, where it’s a true documentary that covers all angles. Or perhaps a proper Netflix documentary. Tiger King truly says a lot about our society and the draw that so many have to a good old fashioned trainwreck. I suspect like many on here, it serves to make people feel better about themselves in contrast. I don’t see the humor in capitalizing on people with substance abuse or mental deficiencies. They have enough problems without sensationalizing it all.

I loved your Python video and felt I’d seen this play out somewhere before. Now I know from where - my childhood memories. We needed some comic relief for this very dark topic.

I have found the legal explanations to be of most interest. I don’t appreciate the posters who continuously try to hijack the thread to prevent such discussions or to direct attention back to them. I do feel a bit sad for them that they rely on strangers on a forum for engagement, argument and attention on a daily basis. I also don’t appreciate those who continuously engage or egg them on. Why poke the tiger?

13 Likes

I agree that we all have blind spots with respect to our own behaviours. However, many many years ago I heard that saying about, paraphrasing here, if you have one difficult relationship it could be any number of things. If you have multiple really difficult relationships or even just interactions that escalate, blow up, spiral, and result in threats and insults back and forth, legal issues, arrests, restraining orders, evictions, etc., while it may be miraculously true that you were an utterly innocent victim in each one, at some point you must realize: the common denominator is you.

I’ve always remembered that. So, if I’m struggling in my family, among friends, or professionally, and it happens more than once in the same way (e.g., I find this client so difficult b/c X) I do stop and examine what it is about my behaviour - or even just my reaction - that is contributing and I try to address it.

For instance, I’m sensitive about terse communications. One of the partners I work for will send out these really short replies and I’ll be taken aback. I’ll describe them to my husband and he simply doesn’t care about tone like I do. He’ll say, nah, he’s just tossed off the shortest email that gets the job done. It is no reflection on you or your work. You are receiving it other than as intended. And I eventually agree (I guess I just need to be reminded). We work in the exact same field and even specialty, so I totally respect his perspective.

If I’m being honest, I do think most adults have a lot more introspection in this way then we see displayed in LK’s posts here, on SM, and various reports of past behaviour, including first-person reports on these threads. As I noted (and anyone can correct me) most people I know simply don’t have the laundry list of difficult interactions, accusations, legal proceedings, police records, etc. that is present in this situation. At least in my personal experience, this level of conflict across states, decades, and subject matters is remarkable.

16 Likes

LOL clearly none of you are an only child. If you were the questions “Was I bad? Was it me?” are baked in.

7 Likes