Barisone KROL this Friday, 5/26

On the jurisdictional issue, Deininger has apparently figured out that the amount in dispute is over $75,000 (?!) so that the appropriate jurisdiction is federal court.

Barisone is suing three insurance companies. The attorneys for Great American liased with the counsel for the other two, and reported that one of the other two, American National Insurance Company, had not issued insurance to either Barisone or SGF, and therefore couldn’t provide the insurance policy in discovery. Deininger did not address that assertion in his letter.

ETA. Somehow I was not exactly shocked to learn that Barisone/Deininger were suing an insurance company that had not issued a policy. That particular defendant should have a pretty easy time of it.

1 Like

I think you should just go ahead and accept that you are woefully under informed on this subject.

46 Likes

Where do you follow the suit now?

The federal court docket system is called Pacer.

3 Likes

Honestly.

Thanks for the update. Looks like the judge will roll this one through its paces. Snap snap, people!

9 Likes

New GFM update.

29 Likes

:rofl: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :rofl:

42 Likes

Thank you for sharing the update.

8 Likes

Oh goodness! This might inspire additional posts to help donations to Michael’s fund!

24 Likes

When is the next KROL hearing?

1 Like

November 17th, although Michael CAN ask for one sooner, per NJ rules (that Judge T doesn’t follow).

26 Likes

So nice to hear from that update that Michael is doing well!

12 Likes

Trying to catch up on this thread, so apologies if this has been mentioned.

Regarding the comment about Deininger suing an insurance company that didn’t issue a policy for MB - two of the named companies issued policies. One of those is a subsidiary of the third named company.

IANAL, but to me it makes sense to also name the parent company as a defendant. And that kind of stuff happens all the time, where multiple parties are named over and above the ones that are actually being targeted. Even LK named multiple “John Does” and “ABC Corporations” in her own civil suit against MB, RC, and SGF.

(And GFM donation is already scheduled.) :smile:

31 Likes

Im glad you pointed that out, and I think everyone can understand why the parent company was included in the suit. Except CH with their limited understanding of legal processes, apparently. But I’m glad you illustrated the strategy with Nagels filing. CH must think Lauren’s attorneys were pretty stupid too.

31 Likes

DownYonder is incorrect in the comparisons of Bruce Nagle naming John Does and Corporation ABC as similar to Deininger naming the parent company of the insurance company that issued MB insurance. In the former case, the John Does and Corporation ABCs are placeholders in case other individuals or companies need to be added to the suit. LKs personal injury suit was filed months after the shooting, and it wasn’t known for certain at the time who owned or provided the gun.

Naming American National Insurance Company is not using a place holder for some other defendant to be added later. Deininger ought to have known exactly who had issued insurance policies to his client at the time he filed the suit.

I do not think “Lauren’s attorneys were pretty stupid too.” Bruce Nagle was just in the national news for winning a $9 million settlement in the case of a schoolgirl who committed suicide in response to bullying.

I don’t know if this has ever come up or not, but speaking of BN, did we know he was reprimanded in 2000?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://drblookupportal.judiciary.state.nj.us/DocumentHandler.ashx?document_id=1054379

6 Likes

Yes, that has been brought up in previous threads.

Oh yes, I remember seeing that, but thanks for pointing it out again.

:horse:

8 Likes

Someone seems to be upset about something….

Let’s keep doing what we were doing…

19 Likes

And doing well.

9 Likes