Barisone Trial Starting Monday, 3/28

Does anyone know if a former addict has to stay on something like suboxone for life or do they get weaned off of it? If the latter, how long does it take?

3 Likes

Yes I know about what we call mechanics liens. I used to issue them! But you cannot hold a horse captive on your property. A person must be able to leave with their horse and THEN a judgment can be obtained once the case is adjudicated in a court. But in the meantime the owner and horse are free to go.

But I am not in MA. And during COVID with courts closed I can’t fathom horses being held anywhere for 2 years for the courts to catch up.

3 Likes

Good for you and your children. But dynasty trusts are a real thing and may carry on for generations. There are thousands of trusts out there that do not pay out at certain ages. And some folks need to plan not to pay generation skipping transfer taxes.

3 Likes

True and as executor of my parents’ estate I’m going to be dealing with that very issue someday in the (may it distant!) future. I will still expect the beneficiaries to not depend completely on the largesse of their ancestors. Still (mental) waters run stagnant.

5 Likes

It wasn’t mentioned in Prosecutor opening statement, I don’t believe.

1 Like

They can be weaned off of it. Not saying this is the best source of info but it was reviewed by a PharmD.

4 Likes

Just a pondering -

Could MB have just packed up her horses and driven them to another (nice) barn and dropped them off? That way the interactions could have been limited to trying to get them out of the farm house, and he 100% could say she had no business in the barns? Yes, lots of legal issues with that in regards to CC&C, but was it an option?

Also, her stating that the recording devices were in HER living area is shifty. Nothing about that statement indicates where they were set to record. I can put a recording device on my house, pointed straight at my neighbor’s deck. Yes, it’s on my property, but it’s not installed to record that way.

6 Likes

Everyone needs to stop considering her statements upon the premise that what she says is the truth. Nothing she posts on social media should ever be assumed to be the truth as she herself has just testified.

23 Likes

I’m talking about her sworn testimony. That the recording devices were in X-Y-Z. Well, if those locations shared a wall with another location, she could be recording a totally different room than where the recording device is.

5 Likes

Yes true.

I’m skeptical as to the truth of her sworn testimony as well. Inconsistencies there too.

Example: testifies she has 1 gun. Then testifies there are 2. Then testifies one is at gun shop. But posts on SM 2 handguns and a long gun (was it an AK? I’m not sure saw the pic just once)

15 Likes

I wonder… Did LK see the relationship between MB and MHG at that clinic and start the fantasies about having that… And this started her desire to work with MB, oh and I need a place to live conveniently …

No one can get her to say who she trained with, where she lived the previous summer, that I’m aware of. Or why that wasn’t a suitable situation to return to.

9 Likes

“Trust fund baby” is a real thing. Unfortunately, many have never had a job, learned to budget, been deprived. In other cases, trusts are set up because the beneficiary has addiction or mental health issues.
Being an executor is not an easy job. I hope your parents are with you for many years to come.

6 Likes

State laws vary but in many states, yes, the horse can be held and sold.

"4. Most states require you to retain physical possession of the horse to “perfect” your lien. If the horse is gone, so is your lien. This requires you to put the owner on notice of the lien and to ALSO prohibit (in writing) the owner from removing the horse while the lien is declared. This can be problematic, where owners often try to “spirit” the horse away without payment OR permission. Seek legal counsel on how you can prevent this. Include a contract clause stating the unauthorized removal of a horse that has been liened constitutes a trespass to property. Notify the client in writing again, at the time the lien is declared, that removal without satisfaction of the debt is prohibited and will be treated as a trespass. Also consider relocating the horse in various stalls or in a more secure area of the stable until payment is resolved.

Non-possessory states permit the lien to follow the horse—regardless of location—until satisfied." https://stablemanagement.com/articles/stable-owners-learn-your-lien-laws

“At the heart of the stablemen’s laws is a lien. A “lien” is a legal claim to hold onto or to sell certain types of property belonging to someone else, as security for payment of a debt. When applied to a horse, the lien makes the horse become collateral to secure the payment of board (and sometimes, depending on the law, to secure payment of related charges, such as training fees). Those who hold liens often have the power to hold onto the property and to keep it from being sold, transferred, or moved. What also makes liens especially powerful is that they can potentially allow the one who holds them the right to sell off the property.” https://www.equinelawblog.com/Stablemens-Lien-Laws-What-They-Are

ETA VA lien law: § 18.2-188.1. Defrauding person having a lien on an animal; penalty.
It shall be unlawful to remove or cause any horse or other animal to be removed from the possession of the owner or keeper of a livery stable or other person having a lien on the horse or animal for keep, support and care pursuant to § 43-32, with intent to defraud or cheat the lienholder. A violation of this section shall be punishable as a Class 2 misdemeanor.

3 Likes

Me too. Even the one who is now a raving racist ammosexual - this is NOT the parent I remember. My friends are equally shocked. The rest of the family and I are not looking forward to dealing with that one if Sane Parent dies first.

6 Likes

I had to look up “ammosexual”. Bless you.

5 Likes

I feel bad then for lienholders in those states as often the horses value is not equivalent to the money owed.

I guess folks need to get their horses out on the sly prior to the lien then.

3 Likes

Can someone please explain to me why they think the police should have seized the security camera? The camera itself isn’t evidence and it’s not common practice for police to seize physical surveillance systems. The footage is the evidence. This was a cloud-based camera with no internal storage so seizing the camera would not preserve any evidence or prevent its deletion. (Blink did not even offer any devices with a USB slot until 2021.) Police documented the existence and location of the camera with photos. What would having the physical camera sitting in an evidence room add to the case?

5 Likes

They mean to say seizing whatever footage the camera captured. Expressions don’t always keep up with technology.

12 Likes

@soloudinhere and other legal peeps, does the judge stating that LK cannot be charged for illegally recording because a lawyer told her that it was ok to do (or whatever the actual wording was) set any legal precident for future cases where someone who might be charged with that states they were advised by an attorney that it was ok to do?
Thanks!

6 Likes

Fundamentally no.

It’s up to the prosecution to bring charges and the grand jury to hand them down. He didn’t say she can’t be prosecuted he said she won’t be. The judge acknowledged the recording was not legal.

17 Likes