Barisone Trial This Month

I believe the prosecution’s concern was for the things that MB wasn’t aware of. Anything he was aware of was can be considered relevant to state of mind.

4 Likes

I thought they were talking about very specific things (communications I thought). Were they talking about all previous behavior?

No.

2 Likes

State prosecutors don’t usually have the support staff that a private firm has, but often have a higher case load. He’s going to have to go through all of that himself.

2 Likes

I did not notice that reaction, but I’m not surprised. Lol.

Even more so if that translates into Schellhorn personally needing to scroll through thousands of pages of BB or Facebook posts.

6 Likes

Won’t that potentially take forever, and holding the jury up… or do they determine what can and can’t be included pretrial?

2 Likes

My take was that there was a list of specific texts between the victim and a 3rd party that the prosecution does not want mentioned on cross. They submitted a motion for those specific texts to be excluded before the trial to avoid them even being mentioned. The defense will respond to the motion and the Judge will decide.

11 Likes

I think Bilinkas will have to choose a workable number of texts/posts from among the “thousands and thousands” of pages and present them to the judge for possible inclusion prior to the trial. That’s what these per trial hearings are about.

2 Likes

Thanks, I “blurted that” before reading the many times it was answered.

3 Likes

Makes sense.

1 Like

This is why you want to do it before a jury is empaneled, because first, you don’t want the jury to have to ignore something they heard of saw. Juries will try to do that, but it’s a big ask and best to avoid it. Second, and this is just my opinion, it can really interrupt the flow and the story you’re trying to tell if you have to argue about every little thing. That can also piss off a jury, and if they don’t like you, they might not drink from your bucket of conclusions. To torture a metaphor.

8 Likes

I have a feeling that if they had any idea what they were in for, the potential jurors would really be scrambling to try to get out of jury duty.

11 Likes

Any gossip-mongers in the bunch will be in heaven…

7 Likes

How is “what they’re in for” any worse than other murder or attempted murder cases?

4 Likes

Who said it was worse?

6 Likes

Three weeks+ is a long time to be on a jury. Many murder cases don’t take that long.

1 Like

Please look at the post I was replying to for your answer.

1 Like

I would guess that most murder or attempted murder cases don’t involve thousands and thousands of pages of completely crazy text messages and social media posts, an unknown number of which could be presented to the jury during the trial?

5 Likes

I’m not convinced of Eggbutt’s prediction that huge amounts of SM posts are going to be introduced.

The judge is predicting three weeks or a bit more, which doesn’t sound atypical for a trial on attempted murder (2 counts), plus gun charges.

TBH, I thought 3 weeks sounded pretty short, but I’ve never been on a jury.

3 Likes

Would the prosecution and/or defense have subpoenaed COTH for copies of the Barisone threads? Would that include LaLa’s private DMs to her group here?

Edited to add another question: If those DMs were admitted as evidence, would we get to read them?

5 Likes