Unlimited access >

Barn Doors and Barn Size?

On Monday we are having a builder come out to our property to scope out a site for a pole barn. It will be a multipurpose building for us - machine shed (tractor, 2 horse trailer, boat), garage (2 cars and a truck), livestock (goats and assorted barnyard pets), and shop for projects. I don’t want to overbuild but I also don’t want to be short sighted. Currently I do not have a horse and I likely wouldn’t bring one to this 11 acre property. We are in an area where many small parcels like ours have a backyard barn and some pastures. We are zoned for up to 5 horses, I think.

Thoughts on size? When we were property shopping we saw places with a few pole barns. I am thinking 40’ x 65’ or so. That would give someone 12’ stalls with more than a 12’ aisle, should they choose to convert it to a stable.

Also, I’m considering the kinds of doors we want. I’m thinking in the front we’d have 2, 12’ overhead doors and in the back, a full height slider. A people door on the side.

What am I missing? Our property is long and narrow so we are also discussing if the barn will be NS lengthwise or EW lengthwise. We can see pros and cons to both. Thoughts from the COTHers on barn design?

for a standard installation a 12 ft high overhead door door needs at least 18 inches of additional wall height for the torsion assembly…so your building side wall would be about 14 foot

But given the list of things you are wanting to put in this building you may be better off building several structures to keep flammables separate from the livestock.

Also you really need to verify just how many head you can have and what other restrictions may apply …some times there limits to total number of building allowed. Whatever you find obtain a dated hard copy as zoning regulations do change over time but they cannot rewrite the ordinances to limiting you afterwards.

We ended up with three structures having a separate storage for hay/bedding and just the normal junk that may one day be needed one ends up with

Also, from my experience do not build more stalls than you can have horses as a horse will be found to take up residence

2 Likes

You may want to do an outline on the ground, put cones at the corners, door sides, inside walls, pens… Then try fitting those accessories in the space from the doors without hitting the cones. Same as you can’t hit walls or pens, other parked equipment inside the barn. What LOOKS doable on paper, gets very confined when walls go up! Tow vehicles just can not turn that sharp!!

As Clanter said, gas powered vehicles should not be parked in dusty animal barns. It is a recipe for fire with hot exhaust pipes, motors, to set dust on fire.

His other suggestions are also very good information, before you start things.

As for barn direction, we planted two flag to find the usual prevailing direction. West wind here, pretty constant breeze, which aligns nicely with the big driveway. Cools the barn all summer, though a bit cold in winter. Just shutting the doors does fix winter wind cold.

Something to consider are less expensive options for storage. We just put up a tarp covered building for equipment storage. We put it up ourselves, had family help, no professionals. It is looking good, already about half full! The 35ft trailer does take up some space! No doors on ends yet, we are letting floor fill settle. The recent high speed winds did not even flutter the cover! But we want to do both ends at the same time to prevent it being a wind trap. There are a lot of these type buildings in the area, for all kinds of uses. Have not seen any damaged ones. Ours has a 25yr warrenty on the tarp cover. I got a green cover to lessen sun fading of paint on machines, or hay if we have to let it sit on wagons for more drying time if needed. Cost was a lot less than a pole building, labor cost in feeding those hungry guys!! Ha ha.

1 Like

Met the BO in 1999 when she was starting to figure out what she was going to build on a 75-acre farm she owned for several years. She outgrew her first property which had a small indoor. Talk about thinking big and building big. She’s great with horses but had zero capacity on computers. I did the online search for options - very educational. She required the indoor to be 80x200 with attached barn so that is what she built. Building is 120x200 with the stalls etc. taking up the 40x200 piece. It was the largest building in town for many years until the grocery store moved in. She is still in the top 5 taxpayers.

The doors into the arena and barn are sliders and huge. The primary door into the arena bit the dust after about 15 years so it was replaced by a garage-style door. There were people doors close by. The advantage to that arrangement is the ability to get large trucks, hay and grain deliveries and ambulances inside. Ambulance has been there a few times. A few horses have been put down; they didn’t have to be moved. These are things to consider if you are building something large. It’s a steel building from a company near Penn Yan in upstate New York. They have a local builder. The refuge organization chose the same company a few years ago, for an indoor and office/meeting space.

The barn my horse and I retired to is beautiful. It was built in 2006 on 10 acres with 10 wooded acres with some trails. It has 20 stalls with individual runs plus grassy fields for turnout. The town apparently had never done a horse facility before so they had to negotiate some things. Zoning ordinances required 100 parking spaces for square footage of the buildings. Same idea for sprinkler system and smoke detectors using retail store requirements. We have to use the bathroom in the house because they wouldn’t compromise on the size of the $30,000 septic system. There is running cold water to hydrants scattered around and there are heated Nelsons in the stalls. Sink in the tack room drains into a bucket and has an instant hot water maker.

Aisleways have nooks with a hydrant, electricity, room for muck buckets, hangers for pitch forks, shovels and brooms, an ice chopping tool and 2-step block. Half dozen shelves that boarders can use are at one end. Leaf blowers for aisleway cleanup. It is always clean and organized.

One thing that never occurred to them over the summer is avalanches - snow - off the roofs and overhangs over the stalls. There haven’t been any mishaps but a lot of horses are totally freaked out and some never get used to it.

Another wrinkle is outside drainage. It’s an historic area, house was built in 1793. Water comes down a small hill behind several homes and they call the shots on drainage. There are swales and graded areas that have to be maintained. My horse is by himself (with neighbors) because he is chill and won’t dig it up.

If you aren’t using a local designer/builder be sure to get local zoning requirements. Snow load is important here in Maine. The BO visited a lot of facilities looking for touches to add and things to avoid.

It was sold in March and the original BO can’t bring herself to come back yet. She is a close as you will ever get to the perfect barn owner. She didn’t advertise, so I was among those who had no idea it was there. 15 minutes from my house. The new owner said she wouldn’t change things and she hasn’t. My 27-y.o. Paint gelding loves it. He’s pampered: 3 meals a day, beautiful free-choice grass hay from Canada, unlimited blanket changes, and an oversize run on the south side. I’m 73 so I consider myself pampered because he is pampered and I don’t have to check on him.

The time she spent looking at other farms paid off. Finding things to avoid could be more important. The indoor is on the one spot on the property where they could build it. Then they designed the rest of it.

2 Likes