Unlimited access >

Barn Kittehs should come with brake lights

I love, love, love the barn kitteh . Hes my bestest buddeh.
But, dude. seriously…
Could you please stop stopping suddenly so that I nearly go flying over you?
He did it to me twice today and to the farrier once. Luckily the farrier likes him.
This cat is a very smart cat, but he just cant figure out how to walk with people, or he is a super genius kitteh who just likes to see how many people he can trip up.

8 Likes

Just tell him you can’t feed him when you are dead.

I have one that likes to stop right under my feet as I go up and down the stairs. Nearly fell on him once. Shrieked that at him (along with many &*%%&**) and that cooled his jets for awhile.

2 Likes

Never step around him or any other cat or dog. When they go in front of you use your foot and make them move out of your way without you stopping. They will learn to get out of your way, so as the day you are leading a horse in the dark and do not see them them they will not trip you over. (You hope)

Haha, both barn cats do the same thing to me. One is solid black and that makes it even trickier as I’m there after dark when I work.

I keep telling him if he kills me he’s going to get pretty darn hungry but so far he hasn’t paid me a bit of attention. :joy:

Ours has done that twice. Luckily (for me, not her) she cut me off at the part of my stride that caused me to drop-kick her instead of trip over her. She was understandable offended. I felt terrible but after the second time she got a lot more cautious about being underfoot.

My cat goes galloping along in front of me and then throws, really throws, herself down on her side in front of me. Literally under my feet. Everyone in the house is perfecting the ‘cat shuffle’ wherein one doesn’t walk quickly or raise one’s feet. Thankfully, she doesn’t do it too often to my elderly, trip prone father or my husband (who is wonderful, but also a big, big guy and not light on his feet).

I agree with the suggestion to scoot the cat along with your foot. I do the same to my young dog so she learns to pay attention to where she is. Better to have me scooting her along than to have a horse step on her.

Barn Kitteh just does not get people feet. I shove him all the time because he gets up under my feet and makes me crazy.
I’ve also stepped on his paws a few times and he still does it.
He was a little better today.
He likes to try to herd me to the feed room where his Kitteh Crack is. So I purposely walked very slow and if he tried to cross my path I would stop.
So he didnt trip me today and I didnt step on his paws. Win. Win.

3 Likes

Sounds like he’s part border collie :wink:

He does think he is a dog. He follows me every where and likes to play chicken when I ride.

Cats do not have traffic sense. Neither do horses or kangaroos.

This means they cannot tell or be taught to cross a road with cars, they can not judge when to cross, which I presume means that they cannot tell when to not step in front of you.

That is why you have guide dogs, not guide cats, guide ponies or guide kangaroos.

You can teach a dog that if a blind person asks them to cross a Road and there is a car coming that the dog disobeys the order and will not cross the road. A horse would step onto the road when asked.

I did see a show on TV where a person complained about feeding her cat. Trying to feed it, it is stepped on twice. Hits its head on the cupboard door twice, jumps on the bench twice to be shooed off. Every day. It does not seem to learn.

The guy on the Show said the opposite was true. The owner had taught the cat that it did not get fed until it had been stepped on twice, hit it’s head twice and jumped on the bench twice. So the cat thought those things had to happen to be fed. Find for thought.

2 Likes