Unlimited access >

Barn Recommendations in N. Georgia?

Hi all! I recently moved to the Athens, GA area and am looking for a good barn in the area. Ideally a Hunter/Jumper barn with a strong lesson program that frequently travels to shows.

I’ve had to take the last couple of years off due to undergrad and grad school but am looking to get back into riding and would love to show again!

I’m willing to commute 30-45min to find a place with great trainers, a good atmosphere, and that provides excellent care for the horses. Bonus if they have on-site leases available or lesson horses as my horse is out on lease through the end of the year.

No idea about lessons/leases but a great resource is the GHJA trainer directory on their website. I can go dig around (pre-coffee brain can’t remember where anyone is), but most barns are going to be on the Atlanta side. Gainesville, Canton, Alpharetta, etc.

Hilmar is in the Gainesville area but might be too far, depending on what side of Athens you’re on. Great program though!

1 Like

I can’t speak to the training anymore these days, but I rode at Hillmar for a time about a decade ago. The facilities are beautiful, and it has one of the rare indoor rings in GA which is perfect for winter and rainy days.

UGA has both NCAA and IHSA equestrian teams. Don’t know where the NCAA ream rides out of but I believe that the IHSA team rides out of KB Sport Horses which is in Colbert.

Check this out;

Their Facilities map;

1 Like

Stephanie Cumming - Pecan Lane

Lee Hughes - promenade

1 Like

Hillmar would not be a reasonable commute from UGA.

Agree with @showy that Pecan Lane and Promenade would be where to call first, they are A circuit barns but I know Pecan Lane at least also has an academy program. Both definitely could also have in-barn lease horses, and that is easier to find than lesson horses these days.

High Point Farm in Bishop is close and might be another place to call and see what they offer.

I’m an event rider but really love Kelly Boltz and her girls at KB sport horses in Colbert. I had a lovely little horse who did not want to event and they did a beautiful job turning her into a hunter. I’ve shipped over to the farm for clinics and schooling and have found everyone there helpful and supportive and very fun! I also really like Abby Sjoberg in Ila.

I’m in Danielsville, about 20 minutes from Athens and while I don’t have many of the things you’re looking for I do have a very nice schoolmaster event horse/jumper available for lease or half on site. Message me if you’re interested or just want more info on anything in the Athens area. I’ve been here a long time :joy:

Pecan lane farm is the best! I rode there while at UGA and wish I never had to leave Pecan Lane. They have top notch care and helped me find my lease horse! Cannot recommend them enough, the facilities are beautiful and they go to local and A shows.