Unlimited access >

Barn recommendations

I’ve been head hunted for a super exciting start up (yay for me!) and they have given me the option of living in San Fran CA or Phoenix AZ. Since I’m from the East Coast, I don’t know anything about eventing in either place, so I’m looking for recommendations

Must Haves

Active program (I’m social :blush:)
Great care (obviously!)
Jumps on site

Wish List

Clinics with outside trainers
Hacking area

I likely will never ride above training level but I like to be good at what I do. My current barn has a healthy mix of adults and teenagers

I know my parameters are very general, I’m looking for something to make my mind up because I’m torn between the two!!!

TIA

As someone who grew up near SF and now lives about an hour north……I would rather live in an alligator swamp in Florida than live in San Francisco. Even just visiting is …… it’s icky.

But you may be able to find a nice place AROUND SF. There are quite a few eventing barns in that area that would fit your needs

2 Likes

Coming from someone that grew up in Phoenix and Area X didn’t even form until I was 18 and left the state :roll_eyes:

There isn’t anything to do in Phoenix. It’s hot. It’s expensive. There is no eventing scene to be spoke of. I grew up jumping a pile of rocks in the desert. That’s your eventing scene. At least in California you have Tamie Smith.

Welcome! I live in the Bay Area and love it - SF, Oakland, and Berkeley are great places, despite what the media likes to portray.

As for the eventing scene, there are some great options, but most (all?) will require a bit of a drive from the city proper. I’ll PM you :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Just a piece of advice before making the move based on horses. See which area your $$ gives you the most bang for your buck, taxes, housing costs, food costs, etc.

4 Likes

SF all the way. The tech scene here is 🤌 and if you ever have to change jobs, it’s much easier here. I wouldn’t live in SF proper, especially if you have a horse in the east bay or down the peninsula, but there are a lot of places convenient to BART or Caltrain that make your commute more pleasant.

Horses are… hard. I grew up riding in Florida and it’s much better in some ways (not hot!) but finding decent turnout is near impossible. I’ve been on the coast 30 minutes from Woodside for ~10 years so I know a lot of the barns. I’ll PM you!

1 Like

I left the Bay Area for a reason and I was born and raised there. All my family is still there so I am still in touch with what goes on there and the costs ( somewhat and it hasn’t improved ).

I think you really need to visit both places, stay for a good week or 2 and find everything out for yourself.

1 Like

Having spent a lot of time in Phoenix for work, andf also lived in the bay area for a decade, I’d be hard pressed to want to keep horses in the Phoenix area given the summer heat. I know people do it, but it just is sooooo hot. Upside to Phoenix, it is legions less expensive than the bay area.

In the bay area, there are quite a few good trainers to choose from, including James Alliston and Joe McKinley in the east bay. I’m not sure who is training out of the Horse Park or Portola Valley Training Center on the peninsula these days, but both great facilities (albeit with limited turnout). There may be some folks at Webb Ranch, it’s a little more on the rough and ready side but has better turnout options.

Good luck!

2 Likes

While I was not a huge fan of Phoenix in the summer I absolutely loved Flagstaff . It is cooler in the summer and does have events ( I used to run by the cross country jumps in the local park. )

1 Like

Bay area resident here. These two places are VERY different. Personally, I like it here and we have a good selection of barns. They’re outside the city proper - and most people also live outside the city proper - but you’ve got options north, east, and south. Plenty of events nearby. It will be very different horsekeeping from the east coast, but we manage.

Phoenix is not for me, for a lot of reasons, but primarily because I like to be outside and not miserable.

3 Likes

Literally laughing out loud at this… it is delightful in Dec and January, but mostly completely intolerable from about, oh, mid-late April-mid Nov?

3 Likes

Yep. Snowbird haven, AZ.

Record highs are only getting… more record. 2023 was the hottest on record SO FAR, with 2024 predicted to be even hotter. I wouldn’t be thrilled to keep horses out in that part of the country, though I know people do it.

Bay Area would be my choice - but if turnout in anything but a 24x24ish “sun pen” is a requirement, that’s almost non-existent. Some horses handle it fine, some come unglued, some seem fine but take creative management. YMMV, as always!

Side note that you probably already know - boarding is structured very differently. Often “board” is just the stall and care - turnout, grain, sometimes hay is extra. So just be aware when looking at price sheets to check the included items!

Mostly, yes, but real turnout is absolutely out here, and people are demanding it more and more so I think the options will grow.

Great point. “Full care” on the east coast is truly full care. In the bay (all of CA?) it’s stall cleaning and feeding hay. Turnout can be charged by the 15 min increment (!) or by day, feeding grain is extra, blanketing is extra, etc etc. Definitely get the full list where you look!

2 Likes