Unlimited access >

Barn Renovation - Insulation

Hey all - I wanted to get some opinions as we are looking to potentially convert our 60x40x12 post frame building/barn into some stalls for our horses.

We’re in northern Indiana.

Currently the building is 100% metal and framing with no insulation on the walls or roof. We’re thinking about insulation to keep it more temperate in the summer and hold in heat in the winter. Any one have experience with this? Is it worth the cost? What kind of insulation(Spray in, etc.)? Roof only? Walls only? Roof and walls?

Also thinking about throwing in some windows for the stalls to get a little more ventilation in. Horse friendly with bars and such. Any thoughts on if its worth the expense.

Looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts.

as much insulation as you can afford! makes such a huge difference in comfort. if the roof is metal, at the least start there.

I am not an expert, but the spray in should be the most rodent/chew proof since it’s hard. Rodent/chew and bird proof-ness would guide my decision. however, i do believe it’s pricier.

i have an insulated roof in Florida (metal roof), and it is not hard insulation. barn is 3 years old, and it’s holding up so far, but I assume eventually birds will get to it.

1 Like

I have the same questions but not a metal building. You can search for the thread. Someone posted here that foam insulation in a building that was not closed up would become a bird mess. Maybe that is why I have never seen it in a horse barn. I am trying to figure out venting in my barn so have put the insulation issue on the back burner for now. However I think I am going to go with some sort of radiant barrier that gets tacked up on the interior ceiling. But then I don’t have a metal building.

1 Like

R-5 with bird block. Personally, if you’re not going to heat, I’d do roof only. The kickwalls etc for the stalls will provide insulation to the walls.

Clear panels for eave-lights or sky lights lets a ton of sun in, which warms the barn significantly.

1 Like

We have an old bank barn and framed with 2 x 4’s and did spray foam all walls and the floor of our tack room. It is more costly but will hold up better in the long run than batons of insulation. Those can mold and be ripped up easily by mice and rodents.
We did cover it all with either pine boards (outside of stalls) or plywood inside of stalls so its all covered up and not exposed. We did this years ago and it has held up perfectly and our barn never freezes (in Ontario) even in -40C weather.

1 Like

I’m in NW IN :wave:
When I had my barn built - 36X36 metal pole bldg - builder (FBI from Remington) suggested insulating just the roof with foamboard. So I have no insulation in the walls.
Reason was to prevent condensation if a fully-insulated barn was closed with horses inside.
I leave my stalls’ Dutch Doors to the drylot open year-round.
Even in a Polar Vortex Winter, the barn is at least 10 degrees warmer than outdoors. Same for cooler in Summer.
And no dripping from the ceiling, even in humid weather.
I do have 3’ eavelights on both sidewalls, back wall attaches to indoor.

1 Like

Anything with a metal roof should be insulated so it doesn’t rain on you. BO built a steel building in 2001. 120’x200’ total, 80x200 is the indoor and 40x200 is the barn. She ordered it with the roof insulated, then decided to do the outside walls also. It has skylights that were reinstalled because there was a gap in the insulation. They would drip moisture when snow melted. Once the skylikghts were fixed it stopped. I don’t think the walls need it but it looks more comfortable.

Thanks all - Will probably go with just the ceiling.

Um, 10 degrees warmer than -10 is 0 degrees.

Having grown up in several northern Indiana barns, I’d put insulation wherever you could. It’s gets pretty darn cold up there and metal barns are cold.

1 Like

Agreed on the math.
But it’s still bearable inside the barn.
Not like indoors-comfy for puny humans, but horses do just fine.
Barn was built for their comfort, not mine.
And that’s with those Dutch Doors open, in all weather.
Helps the doors face away from prevailing winds
In my case that means facing East, barn is oriented N/S, West side has just the service door & 2 storm windows that never get opened.

1 Like

Lolol no advice, but I just read that as Puuney Hoomans in my head and it made me laugh out loud around my spoonful of soup n wanted to share so others could laugh too hehehehe.

1 Like