Unlimited access >

Barns near NYC

[QUOTE=supershorty628;8585887]
Angela Freda, I’m not really sure why you’re taking it so personally that some of us disagree with your suggestion. It’s not personal at all.

It’s hard to give suggestions without an idea of budget. That’s an expensive area. The OP has gotten suggestions about how to find those smaller barns (i.e. contacting tack stores and asking them) that won’t cost as much. I know a number of smaller barns in the Westchester area that might not be as expensive, but they’re still not going to be dirt-cheap either, and Westchester is still going to be 45 min to an hour with traffic.

OP, sent you a PM.[/QUOTE]

Your best bet would be to live and board in the burbs and commute into the city. I would not want to be attempting to commute by car to a barn in any of the surrounding areas during rush hour in either direction. I really think it’s only doable if you can travel off hours or if you part lease your horse so that you are only travelling 1-2 days of the work week.

On a Friday afternoon, a 45 minute commute doesn’t even get you out of Manhattan!

OP, the direction you travel in will have a profound affect on the amount of time it takes to get there. Anything involving I-95 or the Hutch in CT is a no go if you want to get there in 45 minutes. I would suggest something alone I-684 in NY. Once you’re out of NYC, the traffic seems to thin out quickly. and you’d spend a lot less time sitting still. I-684 would put you in reach of Ridgefield, CT (back door in) or Bedford, NY area.

There’s a nice farm in Pleasantville (Riverstone). You could live in the area, board and commute to NYC. Not a 45 minute trip though!

[QUOTE=NCRider;8587094]
Your best bet would be to live and board in the burbs and commute into the city. I would not want to be attempting to commute by car to a barn in any of the surrounding areas during rush hour in either direction. I really think it’s only doable if you can travel off hours or if you part lease your horse so that you are only travelling 1-2 days of the work week.[/QUOTE]

OP says she already has a job and apartment in the city so living in the burbs might not be an option.

Going against my own advice, but isn’t there a place in Eastchester off the Hutch? I frequently see people trail riding along the Hutch on my way into work. It’s only 20 minutes from NYC without traffic, which never happens, but might work.

Yes. There are a few options in Southern Westchester - Twin Lakes, Boulder Brook, Fox Hill, Stratford - it all depends what you are looking for - facility, turnout, instruction, quality, training, etc.

Bedford/Northern Greenwich options will be ~50 minutes from the city with little to no traffic, but prices are high. $1500-$2000 for backyard type places if you can find one. Many good programs are $3000+ including training. Prices go down a bit if you drive another 25 minutes up to North Salem - but not much.

Generally speaking, New Jersey seems to be cheaper for the same number of minutes in the car - if that makes sense. Bergen Equestrian (Overpeck) is probably easiest, but I haven’t seen it since the revamp a few years ago.