Unlimited access >

Barns near NYC

Hi everyone,
I recently just got a job and apartment in the city and am looking for somewhere in NY/CT around 45 min from the city to board my horse. I don’t need anything fancy just hoping for something with good care a decent facilities I really want to keep the price as low as possible. I would be happy with small/ back yard barn that he wold be safe and happy at. Please let me know if anyone knows of something! I appreciate the help!
Holly

This is the only one that I’ve personally been to but it was over a decade ago: http://www.bronxequestriancenter.com/boarding.html

Try checking newhorse.com

I’d do a search on here for other threads. There have been a ton with good info.

Definitely check out the other threads. What is your budget for board?

If you ride H/J, I would recommend looking at Willow Hill Farm in Montgomery NY.

Lots of people near NYC Go to northern NJ. Look at Sussex county.

[QUOTE=Angela Freda;8583671]
If you ride H/J, I would recommend looking at Willow Hill Farm in Montgomery NY.[/QUOTE]

Montgomery from NYC would be a ridiculously long drive.

[QUOTE=supershorty628;8583862]
Montgomery from NYC would be a ridiculously long drive.[/QUOTE]

Not really that much worse than CT which the OP mentioned considering.
ETA I google map’d it… 69 miles, which to many who commute in/out of NYC is not considered ‘ridiculous’.

The Barns near NYC or Manhattan subject comes up so often it should be stickied to the top of the forum.

[QUOTE=Angela Freda;8583972]
ETA I google map’d it… 69 miles, which to many who commute in/out of NYC is not considered ‘ridiculous’.[/QUOTE]

I consider it a ridiculous distance if the OP will be driving in rush hour traffic. Since the OP is interested in backyard barns perhaps contacting some tack shops in the suburbs would be helpful, I found a fantastic backyard barn that way.

I was curious enough to look it up and see if I was incorrectly remembering where Montgomery is. Per Google Maps, even without traffic, it’s over an hour and a half to get there from the city - and that’s the fastest of the 3 options it gave me.

Granted, it is only slightly more than driving to Ridgefield, CT, for example, but an hour and a half drive seems like a lot to do every day for the average 8-5 worker.

Agreed with BAC on contacting tack shops in the suburbs to find smaller barns - if you’re looking for somewhere that’s cheaper than the $$$$ barns in Westchester/Fairfield counties or in NJ, that’s a great way to find them.

OP… Fairfield/Westchester counties are pricey, but there also many private barns that take boarders. Orange county in NY is far less expensive than Westchester, btw, and nearly as accessible. NJ is also a good place to look; also, try out on Long Island.

Supershorty is correct in that Willow Hill in Montgomery, NY, isn’t that close, but “close” depends on
-time of day you plan to be travelling to barn
-how direct the available roads are to your barn of choice. A straight-shot highway can bring you far faster to your destination than circuitous backroads, even if back roads are far fewer miles. And better road maintenance in snow season.
-availability of train service, with the thought that the barn may come and pick you up.

Also, Willow Hill may have exactly what you would like and the care that you would like. With a new career in NYC, being certain that your horse is being well cared for when work chokes off your chance to get to the barn that day is essential, IMO.

There are a few stables in the 5 boroughs of NYC. Riverdale in the north Bronx is your best bet, and you could get there most evenings. Ashley Holzer, the Canadian Olympic dressage rider, keeps her horses there.

Cost of board + car/NYC career/distance to barn make riding during week not simple. I know, I’ve been there! Weekends are just fine.

[QUOTE=sixteenhands;8583977]
The Barns near NYC or Manhattan subject comes up so often it should be stickied to the top of the forum.[/QUOTE]

That’s a good idea, I hope the mods are listening.

[QUOTE=supershorty628;8584454]
I was curious enough to look it up and see if I was incorrectly remembering where Montgomery is. Per Google Maps, even without traffic, it’s over an hour and a half to get there from the city - and that’s the fastest of the 3 options it gave me.

Granted, it is only slightly more than driving to Ridgefield, CT, for example, but an hour and a half drive seems like a lot to do every day for the average 8-5 worker…[/QUOTE]

Tell that to all my neighbors who live here and work in NYC and do the commute twice a day, every day.
It’s really not that unheard of around here, though those of you not from here might not ‘get it’.

WHF was a suggesting based on her parameter of 45 minutes, and offered because perhaps she would value good turnout [WHF has over 150 acres, which is hard to come by closer to the city unless you pay through the nose] and good instruction, versus a shorter commute distance.

Boarding in this area [surrounding NYC] is all about balancing what you want/need against what you can afford… which sometimes means you drive further, or your horse does with less, or you pay more.

OP is welcome to check it out or not…

I totally “get it” - I live in the suburbs and commute to NYC for work, door-to-door I spend 2 hours each way driving/railroad/subway/walk to get to my office and its exhausting, I have been doing it for 36 years. But that is for work, the OP may not want to spend that much time getting to the barn after a full day of work, unless she has very flexible hours and won’t be driving during rush hours. My commute, after I changed jobs a few years ago, is part of the reason I stopped leasing, I no longer wanted the commitment of rushing to the barn after a long day of work and commuting. The job is more important than the riding to me, as you say, we all make choices about what we are willing to sacrifice. Since the OP is asking for a 45 minute commute, your suggestion doesn’t seem practical, but maybe she will check it out and find it works for her.

[QUOTE=Angela Freda;8583972]
ETA I google map’d it… 69 miles, which to many who commute in/out of NYC is not considered ‘ridiculous’.[/QUOTE]

I’d find that a longer commute than one to, say, Bedford, NY or Greenwich, CT.

But all of those would be a real bear if you want to leave the city by car at the same time that everyone else does. I suppose it also depends on the borough in which the OP lives.

[QUOTE=holly.ray;8582854]
Hi everyone,
I recently just got a job and apartment in the city and am looking for somewhere in NY/CT around 45 min from the city to board my horse. I don’t need anything fancy just hoping for something with good care a decent facilities I really want to keep the price as low as possible. I would be happy with small/ back yard barn that he wold be safe and happy at. Please let me know if anyone knows of something! I appreciate the help!
Holly[/QUOTE]

:lol:
:lol:

I looked at the bolded parameters in the OPs post and made a suggestion.
It certainly trumps the barn suggestions others have made… and she is certainly capable of considering the one suggestion offered and deciding if it’s for her or not.

As MVP noted it also depends on what borough OP is commuting from, the time of day the commute would be, and of course OP noted cost and I would guess most barns in Orange Co NY would be cheaper than Bedford or Greenwich or other places no one suggested… but again, at least I had a suggestion to make.
It’s interesting you seem more interested in arguing the fine points of one suggestion made and dissuading the OP from it… Do you think the OP incapable of looking at a map, checking out the farm website and decide for herself if it’s worth exploring more? Why do you feel she’s not capable of doing that exploration? Do you know her IRL or otherwise ‘know’ her that you doubt her so?

Westchester/Fairfield PHA has a website. Maybe some ideas there?

Old Salem would be one of my choices. You could take the train from NYC, but no idea how you get to the barn from the station. Heritage is fabulous, but are they gone all winter? Many choices. Shop around. Very pricey!

Angela Freda, I’m not really sure why you’re taking it so personally that some of us disagree with your suggestion. It’s not personal at all.

It’s hard to give suggestions without an idea of budget. That’s an expensive area. The OP has gotten suggestions about how to find those smaller barns (i.e. contacting tack stores and asking them) that won’t cost as much. I know a number of smaller barns in the Westchester area that might not be as expensive, but they’re still not going to be dirt-cheap either, and Westchester is still going to be 45 min to an hour with traffic.

OP, sent you a PM.