Unlimited access >

Barns with leases in bay area

Hi guys!! I moved to the bay area a few years ago and have been looking for a Hunter Jumper barn. I live in San Francisco and am mainly looking North or South bay. Ideally I’d love to find a barn where I could find a lease (I know, not easy in the area) but right now any and all suggestions of quality trainers are welcome! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Bump to my bay area peeps!

I’m new to the South Bay area and am riding at a great barn where there are a few leases. PM me if Morgan Hill (Los Gatos side) is within your travel range and I can share more details.

What level are you looking to ride/compete at? Hunters or jumpers?

Woodside/Portola Valley will by far be the easiest drive if you’re planning to go during the week, and there are a lot of trainers to choose from. Just depends on your focus and level. I expect they’ll all have connections for leases.

What kind of lease are you looking for, for what kind of riding?

A full/yearly lease on a show horse, or some sort of half-lease situation on a more lesson-type horse? The former should be easy to find with a trainer’s connections (I second looking in the Woodside/Stanford/Portola Valley area - especially the trainers at the Red Barn, PVTC, and Portola Farms), but the second isn’t going to be as easy.

Additionally, knowing what level and discipline you are, and how much in general you are willing to spend, will help to narrow it down.

Thanks for all the suggestions! I’d prefer a show barn (although I probably wouldn’t do much showing until next year). My budget is the tricky part, I can afford board/training but a lease fee is out of my budget right now. I’m looking for a hunter but I wouldn’t rule out a quieter jumper or equitation horse. I’m more just looking to get back into shape and back in the saddle with a nice horse and a quality trainer.

On other similar threads you’ll see Vintage Lane and the Stanford Red Barn recommended - both are solid choices. If you’re getting back in the saddle after some time off, I’d meet a couple of trainers and see what kind of program works well for you and who you get along with. If you can afford board and training, I’m sure a well-respected trainer in the area will be able to find a horse for you to ride on some sort of lease. Feel free to PM me for other recs!

[QUOTE=SweetMutt;8267188]
On other similar threads you’ll see Vintage Lane and the Stanford Red Barn recommended - both are solid choices. If you’re getting back in the saddle after some time off, I’d meet a couple of trainers and see what kind of program works well for you and who you get along with. If you can afford board and training, I’m sure a well-respected trainer in the area will be able to find a horse for you to ride on some sort of lease. Feel free to PM me for other recs![/QUOTE]

It should be mentioned that the Red Barn has two H/J show trainers - Derby Hill & Northern Run - and a community lesson/leasing program that caters more towards beginner/intermediate riders (typically limited to jumping 2’6" and under.) All are great options!